2018 Box Set announcement date

June 26th, 2018, 12:19 pm #51

aladinvein wrote: I'd like to see the Dallas rehearsals released as well in this set.
nice but no chance I'd say.
best we can hope for is a live show.

June 26th, 2018, 3:53 pm #52

Did anybody see Imans tweet 2 days ago that contained the line beat of our drum Mmm i wonder

June 26th, 2018, 7:44 pm #53

aladinvein wrote: I'd like to see the Dallas rehearsals released as well in this set.
I could see the Dallas rehearsals as the RSD release next year. That would be pretty cool (:

June 27th, 2018, 1:02 pm #54

Black Tie White Noise is the music video upload for the day..with that being released alongside the rest of the 80's bunch (plus Jump They Say), BTWN's inclusion in the boxset is looking more and more likely.

June 27th, 2018, 1:55 pm #55

It's up now to the Parlophone crew to do a good job. Expect announcement in the coming 2-3 weeks.
Hope they make it an amazing go with good mastering. (and the right edits)

June 27th, 2018, 2:05 pm #56

leoloww wrote: It's up now to the Parlophone crew to do a good job. Expect announcement in the coming 2-3 weeks.
Hope they make it an amazing go with good mastering. (and the right edits)
Agreed. But I must confess, I'm really kind of disappointed at the prospect that BTWN will be included in this set as well. I'm just in the camp that finds that might be more appropriate to open a possible 90's box next. I don't know...maybe it will make sense to me if it's included when we finally get the official announcement.

June 27th, 2018, 4:01 pm #57

i'l be disappointed if btwn is included. a 6 year gap from nlmd, just don't work for me. then you have to include real cool world, pretty pink rose, fame 90 and a tonne of remixes. it would look a mess.to cram 11 years in one box is too much I think.

June 27th, 2018, 5:29 pm #58

It will give them an excuse not to include anything new like the serious moonlight tour and wait until RSD i guess, but maybe the S&V tour will be on the RSD 2019 who knows

June 27th, 2018, 7:28 pm #59

Hopefully it will just be a slightly larger box? I think Serious Moonlight will definitely be in there. Same for Glass spider. “Dance” seems less likely, especially given the glut of dance remixes that will appear on Re:Call. A Labyrinth EP is still possible. I’m not so sure they’ll remix NLMD for this set - or release two versions to represent the LP vs CD edits.

So maybe something like this?

-Let’s Dance
-Serious Moonlight
-Tonight
-Labyrinth EP
-NLMD
-Glass Spider
-S+V
-BTWN
-Re:Call (might be three discs)

June 27th, 2018, 11:10 pm #60

in the new mojo magazine it seems to claim there will be a live serious moonlight cd.

Nile Rogers was obviously working on let's dance so it's possible there may be a new mix of that possibly even some more demos.

June 28th, 2018, 9:36 pm #61

7F3703E9-CACC-4CE6-BB1C-960956482690.jpeg

June 28th, 2018, 11:53 pm #62

neilmccormick40 wrote: 7F3703E9-CACC-4CE6-BB1C-960956482690.jpeg
Yes just double checked that.

A Serious Moonlight disc - as opposed to set - sounds, wisely, like a highlights set or selection of songs performed on the tour. As I've mentioned before, while I feel there were some good, very good even, things about the tour, the set of songs performed in an average show seems unwieldy to me. Another Bowie fan I know felt the same thing... there seems to be less of an unifying approach or vision than that found on the 70s tours, the late 90s tours or even the Glass Spider tour.

Don't get me wrong, I do like a lot of the performances of the songs, and did write a piece on here once about the piano and rock and roll sound aspects that I liked about it, it's just a whole show can drag a bit in one or even two sittings for me.

The box is most likely set in stone already, but I so hope the live Serious Moonlight disc might include the more inspired song choices that appeared less often, such as Hang onto yourself, Wild is the Wind, Joe the Lion, I can't Explain, Imagine, Soul love, Red Sails.

By the same token I'd welcome a Glass Spider set that included rehearsal takes of songs Scream like a Baby, Because you're young from the masters. On edit, Absolute Beginners, Fashion, I wanna be your Dog, Young Americans, and even a few of The NLMD songs - for example the title track Never Let Me Down - were performed very well on the Glass Spider tour, and could strengthen that the selections from that era in the box.

Out of my/our hands anyway, que sera, we'll have to wait and see.

June 29th, 2018, 7:06 am #63

Artistically - if not chronologically - I could see a case for skipping the Tin Machine albums but including BTWN. The box as a whole would then be his MOR period, although I know there are tracks that are significant exceptions to that. Then the next box set could be Tin Machine, Buddha, Outside, Earthling, Hours etc. For me, Tin Machine 1 is where he started to get his mojo back, Tin Machine 2 contains large stretches of very fine music and then getting to Buddha and Outside - very high points indeed. So that box would tell the story of his creative rebirth. I said in an earlier thread that that is what I would do. Doesn't mean they will, of course

June 29th, 2018, 7:11 am #64

sorry stranger that is a terrible idea. I can't think of anything worse, it would be like having an incomplete bootleg which frankly irritates me. serious moonlight is a fantastic show with many brilliant song arrangements. what you are suggesting with those key songs from the Brussels shows etc is never gonna happen and I hope they don't if its not the complete performance.
stating disc as opposed to set could just be down to phrasing or possibly it may be the audio from Vancouver as per the dvd.

June 29th, 2018, 8:37 am #65

I wouldn’t mind a “best of the tour” series down the road. I imagine it will be easier to do that with the later tours to match sound quality from track to track.

Do we know what concerts were earmarked for possible release from Serious Moonlight? I know there are favorites, soundboards, and the concert film - but were any of those positively pointed at to say “that was/is to be the live album”?

June 29th, 2018, 9:26 am #66

'' a serious moonlight live disc''

surely a full 'SM' show will be next years RSD release

June 29th, 2018, 2:07 pm #67

Surely I wasn't the only one who found, when I really tried to listen to the Montreal 83 show in full, while it was very proficient, it sagged/dragged quite a bit? I can see why the video was an edited show.

I don't think all the 83 live arrangements were bad at all, but as a full show personally I find it hard to get through, like a film that's just too long and could do with editing. Even the sometimes magnificent Edinburgh (28th June) show didn't work fully for me.

The rarely performed tracks work better as the band were more fresh to them.

Everyone has different opinions though, I know.

June 29th, 2018, 9:20 pm #68

rarely performed songs like Joe the lion and soul love were only performed at the first 2 Brussels shows. wild is the wind was dropped after the first few shows. hang on to yourself also dropped after a while and replaced with tvc15. red sails and I can't explain were played occasionally. also look back in anger started the later shows in place ofstar/jean genie. apart from that everything else was pretty much the same set list.
I think particularly on the american leg the shows were more dynamic and powerful and had real atmosphere. the band was on fire.
it's without doubt my favourite tour. Montreal has a great full setlist and is well paced but its not the best show out there.
if the next box features a full 83 show that will sell it to me on its own.

June 29th, 2018, 9:27 pm #69

Thylacine8 wrote: I wouldn’t mind a “best of the tour” series down the road. I imagine it will be easier to do that with the later tours to match sound quality from track to track.

Do we know what concerts were earmarked for possible release from Serious Moonlight? I know there are favorites, soundboards, and the concert film - but were any of those positively pointed at to say “that was/is to be the live album”?
as far as we know the only existing soundboards out there are both nites at Montreal and Vancouver the dvd soundtrack. having said that who knows what was professionally recorded that we don't know about.

June 30th, 2018, 12:41 am #70

sylvianne wrote:
Thylacine8 wrote: I wouldn’t mind a “best of the tour” series down the road. I imagine it will be easier to do that with the later tours to match sound quality from track to track.

as far as we know the only existing soundboards out there are both nites at Montreal and Vancouver the dvd soundtrack. having said that who knows what was professionally recorded that we don't know about.
Thanks (:

Given the speculation over a possible “disc” (might just be semantics) I started to wonder what could have been planned as a release at the time. Would it have been a single show? Or a possible “highlights” to commemorate the “world tour” aspect.

If “Dance” doesn’t exist, I wonder if we’ll see something kooky like Gouster appear, but in the form of an unreleased live album/tour commemorative item. (And... maybe even a Serious Moonlight balloon?).

June 30th, 2018, 6:35 pm #71

For me, this will be the hardest box to “get right”, whatever that is. Few people need all those 80s remixes, do they? I think they’ll major on LD, cos Nile is still around to big it up, as in the early version released, and go easy on NLMD. whatever they do, this box will be a dip that Reeves’ TM box and anything later they release will have to pick up from. Don’t forget the 90s double cd sets of outside, earthling and hours are easily available. As is the BTWN box I think. 

July 1st, 2018, 6:57 am #72

Hard to imagine any 'dip' that a Tin Machine box would be seen as getting you out of. 

July 1st, 2018, 9:03 am #73

I dont think Tin Machine will be included in any of these box sets. The boxes are focusing on 'David Bowie' solo artist. Even though B was in TM, they are seperate entities.
I know you could argue that 'yes' in the timeline scheme of things TM should be included. But as TM were on different labels, do Parlophone even have the rights to the TM recordings?

July 1st, 2018, 6:32 pm #74

A lot of fans like TM. Never really seen it myself. Am prepared to bet db bought back everything inc TM during his latter years, so he got to choose what would be released and not. Reeves has hinted on Twitter he’s overseeing a TM box but who knows. From a commercial point of view there’s no way boxes of later work are going to shift what the 70s music does. But let’s see. The wait is half the fun ;)

July 5th, 2018, 12:30 pm #75

Miracle Goodnight on youtube, maybe a bigger boxset

July 5th, 2018, 3:48 pm #76

So...83-93? That still leaves a whole album of stuff like the sound track songs, Queen songs (there are at least 4 supposedly) The demo's for Lets Dance, NLMD etc, The songs he re-recorded for various projects, The 12 " mixes. I would imagine the Tin Machine Box Set is already in hand as Reeves hinted at this not long ago. And don't get me started on the various concert footage/tour films ((78 tour, S+V TV broadcasts etc)
or a cleaning up of the Vid's and promo's for an "Ultimate complete " DVD/BD release of all his official Promo's in one set. Which could include the unreleased stuff (Mick Rock Promo's, Hours Video's, BTWN songs that were filmed but never shown)

Still think there will be a special release of unheard songs/recordings from across his career at some point. We know they exist.

Cheers

Jx

"I've nothing much to offer. There's nothing much to take."

July 5th, 2018, 4:05 pm #77

looks like a 83-93 box without Tin Machine period

July 5th, 2018, 4:15 pm #78

I was told the Tin Machine recordings will be a completely separate release.

I was told years ago (well before any Bowie boxed sets) about an offer on the table for the TM releases - [not Parlophone] - this is from another label which I will keep completely quiet about until if and when it's announced officially.

Lord knows why it's taking so long to be released.

July 5th, 2018, 4:20 pm #79

My guess TM will get a box set release next year on the 30 year anniversary of the 1st album

July 5th, 2018, 7:47 pm #80

paulkinder wrote: I was told the Tin Machine recordings will be a completely separate release.

I was told years ago (well before any Bowie boxed sets) about an offer on the table for the TM releases - [not Parlophone] - this is from another label which I will keep completely quiet about until if and when it's announced officially.
Sounds like a Cherry Red project to me... 

July 5th, 2018, 8:52 pm #81

The perfect title for the 80s box for me would be Dancing With The Big Boys. That captures that decade well for Bowie.

July 6th, 2018, 12:58 pm #82

Today's video..

July 6th, 2018, 2:21 pm #83

if they do pad it out with black tie and Buddha at the expense of live material and extra discs of recall material that's a right cop out.

July 6th, 2018, 2:50 pm #84

Can we be so sure that the choice of promo video uploads lately bears any indication as to what the next box will contain? I mean, they uploaded the "D.J." video just the other day so...?

July 6th, 2018, 4:42 pm #85

Now, makes sense, a last box set with 83-94 material, there's a BMG box with Outside and others .
Next year will be release an Anthology box, i think...

July 6th, 2018, 5:56 pm #86

So it could be Lets Dance, Tonight, Labyrinth ep, NLMD, Glass Spider live BTWN, BOS, plus the re-call cd of mixes and B-sides so nothing new like the SM tour or S&V tour sounds about right

July 6th, 2018, 9:09 pm #87

the mojo magazine article claims there will be a serious moonlight audio and no we can't be sure there's any meaning behind these videos which are playing.
guess we will find out in the coming weeks.
I don't expect there to be a sound and vision tour set though.

July 6th, 2018, 9:29 pm #88

I’d prefer Buddha to begin the next set.

July 7th, 2018, 6:45 am #89

Yes, me too. BOS seems to be from a different phase of Bowie's career to this albums in this box. In terms of future boxes, I guess the 2019 one will be up to Reality and a smaller 2020 one for TND/Blackstar bringing the series to an end. Hopefully after that, the rareties etc will start coming out, although 2021 will be Hunky Dory at 50 which could be the start of a series of 50th anniversary releases. But its the rareties I am hoping for. We will see.

July 7th, 2018, 9:04 am #90

I hope Buddha, Outside, Earthling, and Hours are the box after this - so those three tours can get a proper exploration. I still think Glastonbury is the RSD release for that set.

Then a final box of Toy, Heathen, Reality, The Next Day, and Blackstar. Plenty of live material from those two tours. Possibly the BBC 2000 gig to fold in the un-aired Toy tracks. Maybe a Low/Heathen Live RSD or perhaps the two excellent Reality in Sydney shows edited into one concert?

July 8th, 2018, 9:39 am #91

Thylacine8 wrote: Hopefully it will just be a slightly larger box? I think Serious Moonlight will definitely be in there. Same for Glass spider. “Dance” seems less likely, especially given the glut of dance remixes that will appear on Re:Call. A Labyrinth EP is still possible. I’m not so sure they’ll remix NLMD for this set - or release two versions to represent the LP vs CD edits.

So maybe something like this?

-Let’s Dance
-Serious Moonlight
-Tonight
-Labyrinth EP
-NLMD
-Glass Spider
-S+V
-BTWN
-Re:Call (might be three discs)
Ha, your comment there "I’m not so sure they’ll remix NLMD for this set" must have lodged in my brain when I scan read this page again last night...I actually dreamt (I don't normally dream about box sets, honestly!) that the box featured an entirely new 'rock mix' of the Never Let Me Down album, and the words Glass Spider were excised from the box. They wouldn't and couldn't go that far of course.

The strange thing is, I quite like a lot of 'Tonight', and the Never Let Me Down album, and some of the other pop-lite things from this period, but I also understand why a lot of Bowie fans don't like them. 

Before Never Let Me Down came out, Bowie was quoted as saying things like he was going in more of a rock direction. Well, there were some rock chords in NLMD the album, but the production / mix didn't end up that way so much.

Whatever they've decided will be finalised and probably at the pressing plants by now. I still hope some of the rare cuts from the 1983 tour might make the box, but if not, I'm finally gearing up to get back into torrenting a little again, and share some Bowie compilation things I've worked on over the years.

I await what emerges over time with interest. Just a shame the rumoured Ryko outtakes 8cd box is something most of us mere mortals will never hear.

July 8th, 2018, 7:44 pm #92

A remix of NLMD is still possible - but I’m not sure who would oversee it creatively if it wasn’t already completed (mostly) before Bowie’s passing. There’s so much other content to cover in this box set - but who knows? It could still pop up. (I also have a soft spot for some tracks on Tonight and NLMD).

I think we’ll see the “archive” set after all the albums have been re-released into circulation.

It makes sense to stop with the “special editions” since there have been so many, and the releases so spotty. Plus it might be better to bundle these “bonus” tracks together so they form their own chronology and story. Some tracks, like those recorded between Hunky Dory and Ziggy, might be better served in being released as a group, rather than split between two albums’ “special editions.”

What I’ve appreciated about the box sets is their attempt at context and narrative. Hopefully the archives releases, whenever they begin, will offer the same.

July 8th, 2018, 10:39 pm #93

David re-recorded the drums for Time Will Crawl in the late 2000's so it's possible he did it for other tracks.We'll see I guess.

July 9th, 2018, 4:10 pm #94

I also wonder if they'll intentionally wait to finally announce this until this Friday the 13th

July 13th, 2018, 4:23 pm #95

Well...still no news. I honestly really did expect to see something when I woke up this morning.

July 13th, 2018, 4:44 pm #96

Maybe on monday, after Bowie Is ending

July 13th, 2018, 7:54 pm #97

We'll hear the news Monday, oh boy...

July 14th, 2018, 1:04 am #98

I don't know , maybe Mr Adams changes the date after reading our comment, i would like to know his nickname on BWW forum

July 14th, 2018, 10:24 am #99

31 years ago today i was watching Terence Trent D'Arby Alison Moyet and of course David Bowie at Maine Road Manchester The Glass Spider tour top day and night that was. Seems like I'm getting myself all 80s ready for this box set

July 14th, 2018, 12:35 pm #100

dazzzhoo wrote: 31 years ago today i was watching Terence Trent D'Arby Alison Moyet and of course David Bowie at Maine Road Manchester The Glass Spider tour top day and night that was. Seems like I'm getting myself all 80s ready for this box set
So you watched him exit the spider's ...