Anything herding related

who does this?

Teresa
Crufts Champion
Teresa
Crufts Champion

Dec 2 2006, 10:24 PM #1

Just thought I would start a topic...

does anyone do this? I know Kirsty expressed at interest in some discussion on this.
My dogs are my best friends. In return for food, fun and love, they leave their paw prints on my heart.

"My ultimate ambition is to become the sort of human being that my dog thinks I am"

Carol
Novice
Carol
Novice

Dec 2 2006, 10:53 PM #2

My Tess works sheep in her spare time (although my OH would say she does agility in her spare time LOL)

She's dual purpose, agility for me, and she works sheep for my husband, along with his sheepdog, Floss. Tess is extremely driven with the sheep, but I have to really work hard to motivate her for agility. She's gone advanced this year, but with her, most of my training is motivational. I think it's because she was Richard's dog to start with, and started off on sheep work. I tried her out on agility and she seemed to get quite excited so carried on.

Dec 3 2006, 08:52 AM #3

I'm really interested in it, i think Maya might be great at it. but it's a question of time

A dog-one of the only true and undeniable examples of unconditional love in this whole wide world, no matter what you have done they will always be at your side, unquestioning,comforting and loving.

Telthedog
In training
Telthedog
In training

Dec 6 2006, 12:26 AM #4

Hi

I trian Sheepdogs for people ( farmers / Triallists / Smallholders etc ) and do one to one lessons. I have also been Trialling my dogs for about 12 years.
TEL'the dog'
Celtic Sheepdogs - I.S.D.S.
Celticwolf Alaskan Malamutes
SHEEPDOGS & SLED-DOGS

sammylou
Starters
sammylou
Starters

Dec 6 2006, 05:56 PM #5

I'd love to work sheep with my boys. Big Jack went on a colliwobbles training day a few years age and he was super but I think he's probably too old to start doing anything now (his idea of a good day is lying by the fence with his ball watching the farmers sheep!)

I'm going to maybe find someone to do some training with for Gizzy next year, there's meant to be quite a few trial people round here (northumberland) and theres an ex-international trials judge who I met a bit ago, he said they get grants to do training. Might be funny tho cause there are sheep in the field next to our house and Gizzy pays no attention to them! and aren't sheep dog people meant to think white dogs can't work sheep or something (Gizzys white with a bit of red)?

Sam

quicksilver
Novice

Dec 6 2006, 07:25 PM #6

sammylou @ Dec 6 2006, 06:56 PM wrote: aren't sheep dog people meant to think white dogs can't work sheep or something (Gizzys white with a bit of red)?
That sounds like a bit of a hangover of the same attitude as those shepherds who thought a red dog couldn't work sheep - that the sheep wouldn't respect it because of the colour (looked too unlike a 'normal' collie and too much like another sheep perhaps?). I reckon Craig, the 2004 International Supreme Champion who's a red tri, will have made some of them eat their words!
Fiona, Bobby, Merry and Bliss x - Agility Addicts

Telthedog
In training
Telthedog
In training

Dec 7 2006, 10:48 PM #7

Some sheep/rams don't respect any dog, Black or White runningdog rundog . . or Red
It can also depend on whether they have lambs or how old they are.

The thing about a white dog is that the sheep can be drawn to it, not so much the dog can't be trained to work.

I dont remember seeing a Red at the Trials, from experience, they can be a bit lively on sheep.

The Craig that won the Supreme, wasn't that the Irish dog, bred and trained by the Handler.
I was helping as a Steward at the Supreme held in Carmarthen that year, and saw him get his Trophy. If I remember rightly he was the 1st red to win it.
TEL'the dog'
SHEEPDOGS & SLED-DOGS

quicksilver
Novice

Dec 8 2006, 12:12 AM #8

Telthedog @ Dec 7 2006, 11:48 PM wrote:The Craig that won the Supreme, wasn't that the Irish dog, bred and trained by the Handler.
Yep that's the one, bred and handled by Toddy Lambe.

Here they are:

Must admit he's the dog I've half got in mind for Bliss - I've seen a few pups sired by him, and they're lovely.

sammylou
Starters
sammylou
Starters

Dec 8 2006, 09:21 AM #9

Thats a nice looking dog!

Theres a red & white dog that works on the farm next door, he's not a trials dog or anything, just a farm dog but he's a good dog.
The thing about a white dog is that the sheep can be drawn to it, not so much the dog can't be trained to work.
I wouldn't say sheep are drawn to Giz, but he's just not fussed with them. Someone left our gate open yesterday and he got out into the field, by the time I noticed he was chasing phesants around the field, never even looked at the sheep though wierdoo !

Sam

quicksilver
Novice

Dec 8 2006, 09:58 AM #10

sammylou @ Dec 8 2006, 10:21 AM wrote: Theres a red & white dog that works on the farm next door, he's not a trials dog or anything, just a farm dog but he's a good dog.
I'll always remember a trip into the western Highlands just after new year 2000. Coming over a rise, we saw a group of sheep up ahead. They all had shaggy brown fleeces. As we overtook them, I realised that the one at the back was actually a red collie! But such a shaggy coat that it looked just like the sheep it was following!

Kirsty
Graduate
Kirsty
Graduate

Dec 9 2006, 09:51 PM #11

Sorry - I haven't been on the site in a while and just noticed this new section chearleaders Thanks!

I am training my collie on sheep. My main aim is to make him into a good work dog, but would love to have a bash at trialling him. I am hoping we will be ready for next winter's Nursery trials.

Here are a few piccies:-

Kirsty
Graduate
Kirsty
Graduate

Dec 9 2006, 09:55 PM #12

sammylou @ Dec 6 2006, 05:56 PM wrote:and aren't sheep dog people meant to think white dogs can't work sheep or something (Gizzys white with a bit of red)?

Sam
Regarding white dogs working sheep, it all depends on what the sheep get used to. Most work dogs are black/white or tricoloured and therefore the sheep get used to this colour of dog working them and therefore they may not have the same respect for a white dog - unless of course a white dog was working them regularly.

Telthedog
In training
Telthedog
In training

Dec 10 2006, 12:42 AM #13

Good pictures, where are they taken ?
Some of the sheep look like Welsh Mountain
TEL'the dog'
SHEEPDOGS & SLED-DOGS

Kirsty
Graduate
Kirsty
Graduate

Dec 10 2006, 06:52 PM #14

Some of the pics were taken at Quernmore near Lancaster and the others were taken at the Lammermuir Hills in the Scottish Borders. The sheep are Scottish Blackface and the others are Cheviot crosses.

Whereabouts are you?

Telthedog
In training
Telthedog
In training

Dec 10 2006, 11:45 PM #15

S.W.Wales
TEL'the dog'
SHEEPDOGS & SLED-DOGS