What Is The Best Leman Russ Tank?

Forum for all general tank, armoured and mechanised company discussions.

What Is The Best Leman Russ Tank?

Jack42494
Corporal
Jack42494
Corporal

25 Dec 2009, 17:14 #1

I got some cash for christmas, and I was wondering, what is the best leman russ tank to build? I was thinking executioner with sponson plasma cannons and a hull heavy bolter. Any better ideas? :)
""Emperor show mercy to the fool who stands against me, for I shall not."
-Warmaster Demetrius
I am a Christian science geek who loves military history, music, science fiction, and strategy games. You will never find another person like me!

Torquemada
Colonel

25 Dec 2009, 17:35 #2

There is no such thing as the "best" leman-russ. (Let me be arrogant and state my opinion here - don't get a punisher! It sucks. Blows. Is arse. Is unguardish. And let those, who disagree, come to Latvia and fight me.)

You should get an ordinary russ, with all-around bolters. That is a good thing to use to kill things. Any things. The most versatile, the cheapest and the most reliable. You'll love it!

Beastman
Trainee
Beastman
Trainee

25 Dec 2009, 18:16 #3

I second that. I use the battle cannon,add the sponson hvy. bolters and put a lascannon in the hull. Very versatile.

Red Shoulders
Sergeant

25 Dec 2009, 19:25 #4

Hmm... i'd say the... yeah, i'll go with everyone else, the Leman Russ with 3 Hvy Bolters. But I wouldn't rule out the other variants, which are better than it in SOME areas. But the Battlecannon and 3 Hvy bolter setup is a good all rounder though.
Oh crap...

OverchargeThis!
Corporal

25 Dec 2009, 20:21 #5

If I use a 2 tank squadron, then it's dual standard russes with 3 HB each.

If it's a single tank, then it's a standard russ with hull HF and PC sponsons.
Best. Suggestion. Ever: "If he's just starting with guard, a proper fear of flamers should be taught by a friend, not a mocking gap-toothed ritalin muncher with a barely undercoated 'ultramarine' army who laugh-spits chunks of potato-chips across the board as he flames guardsmen into oblivion." -- Courtesy of D503 5 Mar 2010

freddieyu
Captain

26 Dec 2009, 00:04 #6

Basic Russ. Magnetize the sponsons and hull weapons for versatility.

Next one I would say is the executioner.
40k 5th ed W/L/D
IG: 65/4/6; Eldar: 10/2/1; Witchhunters: 10/3/0
SM: 2/0/1; Necron: 0/1/1

40k 6th ed W/L/D
IG: 1/0/0

WHFB 8th ed W/L/D
Empire: 12/3/2, Lizardmen 16/3/2

Anarnaxe
Major

26 Dec 2009, 00:20 #7

Theres no single best tank, what works well for one situation doesn't work well for another. But the most well rounded tank is the basic Leman Russ, it doesn't excel but at the same time its not the weakest. It can handle most situations fairly well.
"S-sir, I'm afraid you've gone mad with power..."
"Of course I have. You ever tried going mad without power? It's boring. No one listens to you!"
Wolfman Walt @ Feb 18 2010, 03:56 AM wrote: You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Wodon, the War god
Brigadier General
Wodon, the War god
Brigadier General

26 Dec 2009, 00:40 #8

The best all rounder is the Battle Tank, with Battle Cannon.

Other options do other things.

Without tooting my own horn, please refer to this thread: Complete Idiot's Guide to the Leman Russ
Imperial Navy - Because Close Air Support and Friendly Fire should be easier to tell apart.

Splinter
Captain

26 Dec 2009, 00:56 #9

A vank at tank would be my coice with a hull lascannon. Sit back, insert pask and snipe those other tanks everyone loves so much!
All power corrupts. Absolute power is pretty cool though.

Remoah
Trainee
Remoah
Trainee

26 Dec 2009, 07:12 #10

Standard Russ, it'll stomp on any marines out there... and we all know the best tank hunters are infantry so who cares. Start lobbing those pie plates!

26 Dec 2009, 17:24 #11

freddieyu @ Dec 25 2009, 07:04 PM wrote: Basic Russ. Magnetize the sponsons and hull weapons for versatility.
I agree with this... if you have any skills, you can also magnetize your turret weapons as well for complete versatility.

Also, listen to Wodon, he knows his tanks.

While I think the Punisher is the weakest of the variants, I think that you should make your own decision regarding it.

Be my my mirror, my sword and shield... my missionary in a foreign field

Sgt.Carmine
Captain

26 Dec 2009, 18:36 #12

Best Leman Russ tank (according to BoLS) was a demolisher leman russ, with sponson-mounted plasma cannons and a hull-mounted lascannon. Like wise, it was also deemed the most "Pricy" tank in 40k.

Personally I use 2 types of Leman Russes; both bieng variants bieng used in two totally different manner. One is, of course, the normal Battle Tank. I field two squads of two tanks (all armed with a battle cannon, lascannon, and pintle-mounted heavy stubber) in a "Squad & Support" Role.

My final HS slot is a single punisher. Yes, people don't like the tank. People say that it's the "weakest" or "worst" of the variants, but I find that the amount of firepower the punisher can dish out (especially when armed with sponson-mounted heavy bolters and a hull-mounted heavy bolter) is simply extravagent. This tank I use as a "Middle-Block"; to add an extreme amount of fire down the middle of my opponents battle-lines. Note that, as people suggest, the punisher doesn't fair that well against "power armoured" armies (such as SM, Chaos SMs etc.) but against "horde" armies(Orks, 'Nids, IG "Swampy Army" etc.) a punisher is a very useful asset.

So in conclusion, I believe that the best Leman Russ tank is the normal battle tank, as it's the perfect all rounder, yet the punisher is also amongst the best tanks.
Guys from Canada always make the best stuff.

Vice-Shogun Himura
Lieutenant

26 Dec 2009, 22:54 #13

Beastman @ Dec 25 2009, 06:16 PM wrote: I second that. I use the battle cannon,add the sponson hvy. bolters and put a lascannon in the hull. Very versatile.
:B|: This is the good all around set up! :B|:
Field Marshal of the Fuji Regiments
Fuji Blog

27 Dec 2009, 06:41 #14

the LR Demolisher is insane. I don't know what GW was thinking when they allowed it on the field, but the amount of destruction that tank can unleash is breathtaking. Oh, you brought a land raider... how sad. Wait, it had terminators? Biker nobz got you down? Demolish them.

I find that my Demolishers dominate the middle of the field. 24" might as well be a mile if your opponent refuses to come near you. That's the point; it either scares them away so you can shoot them at your leisure, or it draws them in to kill it so you can blaze away at them at close range. It doesn't even need to be versatile; it just needs to kill everything it looks at, which it does.

LoneSniperSG
Lieutenant Colonel
LoneSniperSG
Lieutenant Colonel

29 Dec 2009, 04:00 #15

master of malfeasance @ Dec 27 2009, 06:41 AM wrote: the LR Demolisher is insane.  I don't know what GW was thinking when they allowed it on the field, but the amount of destruction that tank can unleash is breathtaking.  Oh, you brought a land raider... how sad.  Wait, it had terminators?  Biker nobz got you down?  Demolish them.

I find that my Demolishers dominate the middle of the field.  24" might as well be a mile if your opponent refuses to come near you.  That's the point; it either scares them away so you can shoot them at your leisure, or it draws them in to kill it so you can blaze away at them at close range.  It doesn't even need to be versatile; it just needs to kill everything it looks at, which it does.
GW was thinking "HEY, our slow-moving hammer of the Emperor needs SIEGE TANKS!" And the Demolisher was born.. with many many spikes all over it.

It's exactly what a siege tank should be. A rolling wall of steel spewing city-leveling firepower.
Proud owner of a Leman Russ Exterminator

Representing the Thunderaxe Task Force - 3743 pts. 1/2/0