Question On Nova Type Psychic Powers.

Need help with rules? Ask here!

Question On Nova Type Psychic Powers.

Lord Xcapobl
Private

05 Jul 2016, 17:08 #1

Having read the entry on "Nova" on page 27 of the rulebook, and, for example, the Sunburst power from the Pyromancy discipline on page 196 I am still left with a question. The current Errata & FAQ does not adress this.
The Nova entry clearly states that all enemy units in range of the power are automatically targeted and hit with a profile not unlike a weapon's profile. Sunburst (for example, I could also mention Shockwave on page 197 or Cleansing Flame on 194) has the Assault 2D6 type. Suppose three enemy units are within range. Do I then:

A) roll 2D6 for the number of attacks, roll To Hit, and assign hits to whatever enemy model is closest regardless of what enemy unit it is from? (As if the power is actually affecting a potential total of 2D6 targets maximum as it spreads out from the Psyker.)

B) roll 2D6 for the number of attacks against enemy unit 1, roll To Hit, etc., roll 2D6 for the number of attacks against enemy unit 2, roll To Hit, etc., and also roll 2D6 for the number of attacks against enemy unit 3, roll To Hit, etc.? (As the Nova targets each enemy unit in range and then applies its weapon-like profile. Five enemy units in range means 10D6 potential attacks from a single, simple, Warp Charge 1 power.)

Thanks in advance for the answers.
Only one stupid question exists; the one you never asked.
For you never get an answer to that one.

Kind regards,
Lord Xcapobl.

Makoto
Brigadier General
Makoto
Brigadier General

06 Jul 2016, 17:38 #2

As nova automatically targets and hits all enemy units in range, it's B. Also, remember that under nova rules only one of the targeted units can attempt to deny the witch.
The correct answer is: Because that is our job

I sometimes question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.