Infantry Company

For posting and discussion of army lists only.

Infantry Company

Zdog
Colonel
Zdog
Colonel

18 Jun 2017, 14:16 #1

So, a little explanation here, this is just a core Infantry Company list to serve as the start of a larger army or to have platoons broken out for patrol detachments. The weapon choices and ratio of units is inspired by modern and recent historical infantry doctrine. Now because they've broken open platoons as an option we're going to use company commanders since we need to fill out HQ slots. So, without further ado, to the list!

I'm going to start with the platoon layout.

Infantry Platoon
Battalion Detachment
+3 Command Points

HQ:

Company Commander 3 power or 31 points
Boltgun, Chainsword, Frag Grenades

Primaris Psyker 2 power or 40 points
Las Pistol, Force Stave

Elites:

Command Squad 3 power or 39 points
Lasguns, Vox-Caster, Medi-Pack, Frag Grenades

Troops:

Infantry Squad 3 power or 59 points
Lasguns, Frag Grenades, Boltgun, Chainsword, Vox-Caster, Heavy-Bolter, Grenade Launcher

Lasguns, Frag Grenades, Boltgun, Chainsword, Vox-Caster, Heavy-Bolter, Grenade Launcher

Heavy Support:

Heavy Weapon Squad 3 power or 72 points
Lasguns, Frag Grenades, Missile Launchers

Heavy Weapon Squad 3 power or 36 points
Lasguns, Frag Grenades, Heavy Bolters

Totals
23 power or 395 points

Now, this would fit into a patrol detachment and I wouldn't have to take the out of theme psyker, but then I wouldn't get the 3 Command Points from each platoon (9 total). So, to make our 3 Platoons into a Company we'll add the following. (note: in order to make this detachment legal we'll have to add the missile launcher squads to the Company Command Section. This isn't how real world works, but this slight rearrangement nets us an extra Command Point.)

Command Section
Spearhead Detachment
+1 Command Point
HQ:

Lord Castellan Creed 4 power or 70 points
2 Hot-Shot Laspistols, Power Sword, +2 Command Points

Elites:

Command Squad 3 power or 39 points
Lasguns, Vox-Caster, Medi-Pack, Frag Grenades

Heavy Support:

Heavy Weapon Squad 3 power or 27 points
Lasguns, Frag Grenades, Mortars

Company Totals:
76 power or 1321

Thoughts
So, here we have a full Infantry Company with +12 command points that comes in 64 points cheaper than it did in last edition while also coming with the psyker support it didn't have before and running higher level commanders. Normally I wouldn't include Creed, but I wanted to have some level of difference between the 'platoon' commanders and my 'company' commander. It's also worth noting that for expanding on this we're only 3 fast attacks from upgrading two of these Battalion Detachments into a Brigade Detachment netting an extra 3 command points. For this 3 units of scout sentinels or rough riders work well. We've got lots of slots left over for additional choices from a Battalion or higher level attached asset or checking out different gear for your troops per mission requirements. So, anyway, this hopefully serves as a good guide for you as a starting point and can give new players an idea of what to look for out of an infantry heavy or all infantry list.

edit: I realized I could move the anti-tank squads into the Company HQ section and then make that into a Spearhead Detachment, netting an extra command point. Technically, this removes the need to make the platoons full Battalions and so you could take them down to Patrols, but for the cost of just a Psyker the 3 command points is pretty awesome when the Psyker is pretty good too.

edit2: Update machine gun support squads to Heavy Bolters to more accurately reflect the medium machine guns used today. Properly speaking the infantry squads should have light machine guns, but heavy stubbers aren't an option. This is at least balanced by only getting one vs the two that are equipped in modern forces.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Look! I have an avatar now! :P

Mothegreat
Colonel

18 Jun 2017, 18:39 #2

Damn, nice man, leading the charge on tactica around here.
Mothegreat @ Apr 5 2010, 12:57 AM wrote:I not gonna lie. I want to punch everyone.
D503 @ Apr 5 2010, 11:25 PM wrote:Technically, fisting is not punching
Captain Mike @ Jul 12 2010, 10:00 PM wrote:Boot camp... it's more that crack den from Platoon.

Zdog
Colonel
Zdog
Colonel

22 Jun 2017, 03:45 #3

I've constructed lists based on a few other real world US formations and have plans to create more. If you guys are interested I'll post them up as well.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Look! I have an avatar now! :P

insanemachina
Trainee

22 Jun 2017, 06:31 #4

Bring them all!!!!!