Armageddon Pattern Sentinels

Imperial Guard tactics discussion.

Armageddon Pattern Sentinels

Akrim
Captain
Akrim
Captain

18 Nov 2014, 09:24 #1

A lot of bad rap on the internets about Armoured Sentinels I dont agree with.

I've found in my mech vet lists the Armageddon Pattern Sentinel (Armoured w/ Lascannon) to be an excellent long range AT unit that I buff with Primairis Psykers using Prescience.

A 3 strong squad has dropped a cool 60pts since last codex. However the common argument being: ...but you can get a Vendetta for 20pts more.

But heres some things to consider:

A) Its there Turn 1 - Now opposed to a Vendetta which may arrive turn 2-4 this is crucial since addressing transports/heavies early is important to most IG armies.

B) Firing / Cover - You can deploy these to objective sit and provide fire support and easily get +4 cover (if available), again opposed to the Vendetta you are not forced into Jink to keep them alive. You are also not forced to minimum move 18" and possibly lose desired targets as a flyer could.

C) Robust - These form a much harder target opposed to a Lascan Heavy Weapon Team which can be easily eliminated by small arms/assault/morale. Arma Sentinels can also in dire need reliably form anti-horde barrier in that they are Walkers and enemies fight the front AV12 in assault. (Barring units with Fists, high S, Melta/Krak grenades).

Again vs Vendetta, a 3 strong squadron boasts twice the number of hull points and a lucky Damage 7 only results in the loss of 1 Sentinel. You can also jostle damaged Sentinels that have lost a hull point to the rear of the squadron to spread damage around.

D) Mobility - You can advance to mid-field objectives if need be while still firing.

Important things to remember:
-Most opponents regard them as a low priority target, but like the Chimera its AV 12/10/10. While the side facing is very small its important to keep this weakness in mind. Best idea is to use them on the flanks facing diagonally inwards.

- My point isn't to say ditch Vendettas for Sentinels - but they do have the added effect of freeing your Vendettas to dedicate to anti-air duty or coordinate fire on important targets.

Thats all for now, thanks for reading and may your Sentinels lead you to victory.

-Akrim

Wodon, the War god
Brigadier General
Wodon, the War god
Brigadier General

18 Nov 2014, 13:56 #2

Valid points.

I have always been amused by their placement in the "Fast Attack" portion of the codex, but where else could you put them?

While the Lascannon is good for a tank plunker, I like the versatility of the Missile Launcher. It gets me the anti-hoard shot and can kill most vehicles with Krak. And Krak kills MEQ, so it's a win-win for me. And the MLs are not taken as seriously as Lascannon.
Imperial Navy - Because Close Air Support and Friendly Fire should be easier to tell apart.

librisrouge
Captain

18 Nov 2014, 17:32 #3

Elites. They should be elites.

The elite section of our codex is, at best, meh, so it needs the shot in the arm. Plus, they don't really serve the purposes of a FA slot in the fluff. They're better fire support but moving them to heavy would be a fast way to really see them ignored.
This is a Helmet - My Sometimes Updated Blog

Warmaster Luthar Reak
Lieutenant Colonel
Warmaster Luthar Reak
Lieutenant Colonel

18 Nov 2014, 18:01 #4

It would be nice to have a "Light Support" section on the FoC for fire support options that are less beefy than actual tanks, but not exactly fast. I could see Sentinels, Hellhounds and other odds and ends being far more attractive this way. In general it would be nice to have a little more diversity with vehicles in 40k.
D503 @ Dec 7 2009, 12:40 PM wrote:My regiment doesn't have a number, they lost count of how many died due to an accounting error.  They are simply called 'next'
As bad as my geography is, I don't think Germany will be cut off by warpstorms.

Boblogik
Lieutenant
Boblogik
Lieutenant

19 Nov 2014, 11:25 #5

I agree with everything but point B. You can put vendys into hover mode/skimmer mode and thus no min move and they get to jink without forcing snap snots like a flyer must. (At least that's how it worked in 6th, haven't played 7th yet but I glanced through my copy and didn't notice that changed).

"To win, but not destroy; to conquer, but not humiliate: That is what true conquest is!"

librisrouge
Captain

19 Nov 2014, 15:44 #6

It did. Look up the Jink rule specifically. All jinking is now a +4 save but needs to be declared before any shooting to hit rolls are made. Shame really for the hovering vendetta.
This is a Helmet - My Sometimes Updated Blog

Akrim
Captain
Akrim
Captain

19 Nov 2014, 21:42 #7

Jink also forces the vehicle to only snap fire in its own turn.

Boblogik
Lieutenant
Boblogik
Lieutenant

19 Nov 2014, 23:25 #8

librisrouge @ Nov 19 2014, 11:44 AM wrote: It did. Look up the Jink rule specifically. All jinking is now a +4 save but needs to be declared before any shooting to hit rolls are made. Shame really for the hovering vendetta.
Ouch. Painful for skimmers. Though helps knock the eldar down a notch

"To win, but not destroy; to conquer, but not humiliate: That is what true conquest is!"

Akrim
Captain
Akrim
Captain

20 Nov 2014, 18:23 #9

Actually Eldar massing Wave Serpents is quite potent. Probably hurt the Dark Eldar more than anyone. Tau are kind of a different bag of nuts in that their skimmers are more ranged shooty so can find some good cover to fire from usually.