8th Edition Info!

Anything you feel like discussing about the Imperial guard.

8th Edition Info!

Mothegreat
Colonel

13 Jun 2017, 03:33 #1

So, give us some gossip, give us some rumors, give us previews and info, I will start with a link.

8th edition mini preview

I mean, we are the Imp Guard forum, can't let others have the info hanging around willy nilly because we are all off doing other things!
Mothegreat @ Apr 5 2010, 12:57 AM wrote:I not gonna lie. I want to punch everyone.
D503 @ Apr 5 2010, 11:25 PM wrote:Technically, fisting is not punching
Captain Mike @ Jul 12 2010, 10:00 PM wrote:Boot camp... it's more that crack den from Platoon.

Mothegreat
Colonel

16 Jun 2017, 01:09 #2

So, so far I have managed two games with guard in 8th. Both have been against Marines, and while they are just as powerful as you would expect I have managed to fight them mostly to a stand still each time, which is amazing since I haven't played since what, 4th? 5th?
Anyhow, auto-cast of orders is f***ing amazing, I mean, full on 100% f*** off amazing. Like, melting a termi-librarian with first rank, second rank awesome, or priest's bubble plus fix bayonets for quadruple the attacks in a turn awesome. Hellhounds might be my new favorite thing now as my borrowed one over the course of the game melted a razorback, tac squad, and most of a dread.
Kinda rambling here due to alcohol and post game excitement but damn guys, this is fun again. Something I thought I would never say about 40k.
Mothegreat @ Apr 5 2010, 12:57 AM wrote:I not gonna lie. I want to punch everyone.
Captain Mike @ Jul 12 2010, 10:00 PM wrote:Boot camp... it's more that crack den from Platoon.

insanemachina
Trainee

17 Jun 2017, 07:41 #3

I really think my new base list will be a Spearhead!
Tank Commander
Hellhound x3
Leman Russ Battle Tank x3
Then the rest I'll fill with other tanks and possibly a fully mechanised platoon on Chimerae

Zdog
Colonel
Zdog
Colonel

17 Jun 2017, 13:57 #4

So, if you're thinking about getting the ebook version, I recommend you only do it if you own a tablet. Getting a phone to like it is a pain in the ass and GW made it completely stuck at small size with how they've formatted it. Don't get me wrong, it looks beautiful. Or at least I assume it does if you have a magnifying glass or the physical book.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Look! I have an avatar now! :P

Mothegreat
Colonel

17 Jun 2017, 14:39 #5

insanemachina, that sounds like it is going to murder, I do suggest a screen of infantry as you gotta keep those tanks outa melee.

Thanks Zdog, did not know that and super f***ing important. Typical GW.

Zdog
Colonel
Zdog
Colonel

17 Jun 2017, 21:37 #6

Yeah. So, after several hours squinting I've read through the rules (minus the missions) and it looks like a solid improvement over the last couple editions. Not sure how I feel about Vehicles not being able to disengage and shoot anymore though. That said, mortar squad for just 27 points is amazing. And it looks like in general platoons are cheaper, but I'm taking a closer look at that now. While I'm looking at the points, I'm kind of hoping my local group will lean towards power levels. We'll see though.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Zdog
Colonel
Zdog
Colonel

17 Jun 2017, 22:32 #7

So, I'm looking at this some more, and it looks like if you want to use the old fashioned 3 platoons in a company layout you're going to be stuck either bringing along a bunch of fast attack* and extra HQ's from other armies or running a company commander in every platoon AND extra HQ's from other armies. This stems from how platoons got blown up so that every squad takes up an entire force org slot but platoon commands don't count as HQ's. So each platoon would take either a patrol detachment requiring a company commander or something else or a Battalion detachment requiring a company commander AND something else. I guess this is good for getting lots of orders, but makes for a weird looking force org chart when you've got a company level commander in every platoon.

It's also weird to see how points vs power levels balance, with mortar squads being under 30 points each but 3 power level while the wyvern clocks in at over 90 points, but only 5 power level.

* (platoon commanders and command squads will take care of your elites and heavy weapon squads will fill your heavy support)

Mothegreat
Colonel

18 Jun 2017, 03:32 #8

Thanks for the info and insight man. I get what you are saying on all that and I gotta admit I didn't fully comprehend why the hell a platoon commander counts as an elite instead of an HQ looking at it.

Zdog
Colonel
Zdog
Colonel

18 Jun 2017, 03:44 #9

Well, I think he counts as an elite because that is what most upgrade characters count as and that is essentially what he is. A little insight I found in the FAQ is that basically power level is based off the average points cost of all the different upgrade options a unit gets. Hence why at power level a heavy weapon team is much more in cost than a cheap mortar squad in points. Conversely if you wanted to cheese out a power level list you would want to take as many fancy upgrades as you can since they are free and to a certain extent assumed in the power cost.

edit: I'll work on tonight creating up a sample Infantry Company list in the army list topic and post it in the morning.

Zdog
Colonel
Zdog
Colonel

18 Jun 2017, 14:25 #10

As promised I posted up the Infantry Company inspired by modern and recent history. Some thoughts I had while writing it:
Imperium Index 2 is very light on Fast Attack options
Imperium Index 2 is very light on HQ choices that aren't uniques
Imperium Index 2 is very heavy on Heavy Support options
Imperium Index 2 is very heavy on Elites options

Considering the way Guard operates this is more or less ok with the new detachments giving us the extra elite slots to fit the upgrade characters we tend to love that give our armies flavor. As I said it's a little weird with the HQs, but that isn't too bad either. Certainly the wealth of heavy supports is nice and I like how while a Master of Ordnance can only shoot once now he does at least buff artillery vehicles near him.

Makoto
Brigadier General
Makoto
Brigadier General

19 Jun 2017, 14:11 #11

Just started reading new books, but... by Him on Terra, it would appear we can now take down Land Raiders (or, truth be told, any vehicles) with lasguns. Enormous numbers of lasguns, granted, but with mere lasguns.

I envision even more glorious swarms of infantry in the near future...
The correct answer is: Because that is our job

I sometimes question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.

Zdog
Colonel
Zdog
Colonel

19 Jun 2017, 16:00 #12

Yeah, it looks like we can basically take anything out of the two Imperium Indices in a single detachment. Which looks like it's breaking every army builder ever right now.

insanemachina
Trainee

19 Jun 2017, 19:59 #13

@Mothegreat about that infantry screen, I've just seen a video of a game where Leman Russes survived close combat with Wolves pretty decently, if the objectives where all in places tanks could reach, this full tank army would have won, because he lost by one objective after decimating more than half of the Wolf army, he was close to one objective, but it was upstairs and out of reach, if he could grab that, it was a win.... So I say 1-2 vet or special weapons squads to grab objectives and do some fun stuff, then tank spam all the way....

Mothegreat
Colonel

19 Jun 2017, 21:44 #14

Any chance you got the link to that, I would like to see how he dealt with it so I can have a fighting chance!

insanemachina
Trainee

20 Jun 2017, 00:33 #15

@Mothegreat I believe it was this one!!!
On a side note, look at this other one!!! 1000 points vs Blood Angels, we won!