We've Been Hacked!!

CheriePie
Beyond Obsessed
CheriePie
Beyond Obsessed

12:46 AM - Mar 23, 2008 #1

Not just BookObsessed, but all of InvisionFree's servers have been hacked. :(

Not to get too technical on everyone, but with Cheesy's help, I discovered that if you can get here via a URL which isn't in the root directory, meaning like it has some extra subdirectories after the initial domain name, then you can access things okay, even though hackers took over the server.

Not that it leaves things in a very reliable state because until the IF staff can plug the security holes and get the hackers outta here, all the data on the entire server is at risk of being wiped out at any time, at the whim of the hackers. :erm:

Until that is fixed though, I figured if I modify the domain name settings for bookobsessed.com so that they redirect to the longer administrative URL (http://z14.invisionfree.com/BookObsessed/) instead of acting like a true domain and pointing to an IP address, we should be able to temporarily work around this.

So at this point in time, you can get to the forums either by typing the longer URL directly into your browser's address field: http://z14.invisionfree.com/BookObsessed/
Or by waiting for the DNS change to be picked up for bookobsessed.com, which will then forward you directly to that URL.

(If you want to speed up the process for the DNS change, you can clear your DNS cache in Windows by bringing up a Command Prompt window, and then typing ipconfig /flushdns . That should clear out your cache a little quicker than simply waiting for it to time out on it's own.)

luckaye
Thoroughly Obsessed
luckaye
Thoroughly Obsessed

12:49 AM - Mar 23, 2008 #2

Thanks for all your work Cherie - you are a superstar!! :hug:

GateGypsy
Exceptionally Obsessed
GateGypsy
Exceptionally Obsessed

12:54 AM - Mar 23, 2008 #3

Oh, thank you so much, Cherie! The moment it happened I did the only thing I could think to do, which was Email you :lol: It was most distressing. I'm glad you and Cheesy were able to get it worked around and fixed!

ladiibbug
Exceedingly Obsessed
ladiibbug
Exceedingly Obsessed

1:06 AM - Mar 23, 2008 #4

Cherie, you simply ROCK!

I was afraid we'd be out of commission for a few days. Thanks for everything you do here for us!!!

xallroyx
Thoroughly Obsessed
xallroyx
Thoroughly Obsessed

1:17 AM - Mar 23, 2008 #5

Thanks for fixing this for us :)

CandyTX
Thoroughly Obsessed
CandyTX
Thoroughly Obsessed

1:27 AM - Mar 23, 2008 #6

Heh... I wonder how many emails Cheesy and Cherie got? LOL

Booksforever
Fully Obsessed
Booksforever
Fully Obsessed

1:29 AM - Mar 23, 2008 #7

Yes, thank you!! DH had to laugh at me as I sat here looking at that webpage. He says, "so are you gonna have withdrawals all night??" I guess I had that look on my face like "whhhhaaatttttt!!!" Glad you found a way around it for now. Hackers really suck.

CdnBlueRose
Exceedingly Obsessed
CdnBlueRose
Exceedingly Obsessed

1:52 AM - Mar 23, 2008 #8

:worship: :worship: :worship:

cheesygiraffe
Beyond Obsessed
cheesygiraffe
Beyond Obsessed

1:59 AM - Mar 23, 2008 #9

luckaye wrote: Thanks for all your work Cherie - you are a superstar!! :hug: