Please choose the domain name you like best:
CheriePie
Beyond Obsessed
CheriePie
Beyond Obsessed

8:17 AM - Jan 30, 2007 #11

SciFisstrs wrote:The thing with the org vs com I don't believe we should name it org because we really aren't an organization. But that's just MO 
Actually we are by traditional definition, a .org.

Back in the old days ;) , when .com, .org, .net, .edu, .gov, and .mil were the only top-level domains (TLDs) in existence, .org was the domain recommended for use by individuals and non-profit organizations. The .com TLDs were only available to commercial entities, the .net domains only to network providers and other companies involved in similar network-related activities, and of course the .edu to schools, and .gov and .mil only to government and military agencies respectively. (See Wikipedia definition for .org.)

So if you didn't fit one of the other classifications, a .org was your only choice as it simply referred to any person or group ORGanized enough to get a domain name. :lol: Okay so I made up the "ORGanized" part, but at that time, it was the only domain TLD open to a group like ours.

Of course, that has all changed now and with the exception of the .gov and .edu domains; anyone can get any of those domains. Actually, that's not completely true for all TLDs; some rules still exist for for .ca and .uk domains for Canadian and UK-based organizations only.

Okay now I've proved my true geekiness and hopefully provided a bit of interesting history on that aspect of the Internet in the process, I'm going to go get ready for bed. Nitey nite!

cosmic-gin
Extremely Obsessed
cosmic-gin
Extremely Obsessed

10:44 AM - Jan 30, 2007 #12

Lots to choose from ... I liked a few of them but finally decided on BookBabblers.com

Breeze
Thoroughly Obsessed
Breeze
Thoroughly Obsessed

11:30 AM - Jan 30, 2007 #13

bookwhipped!!!! Woo hoo!

mysterious
Thoroughly Obsessed
mysterious
Thoroughly Obsessed

1:16 PM - Jan 30, 2007 #14

CheriePie wrote:
SciFisstrs wrote:The thing with the org vs com I don't believe we should name it org because we really aren't an organization. But that's just MO 
Actually we are by traditional definition, a .org.
:lol: Actually I was just going to go into my 'Cliff Clavin' impression and say....

Well Normy...actually back in the day when domain names were selected --you had your..........com , net, org, mil, edu, gov

Gmta!

I'm still typing out my favorites to see which one flies off my fingers better.
wrote: Lots to choose from ... I liked a few of them but finally decided on BookBabblers.com

That one reminds me of Booknabbers which is pretty much what some of these swap players are :pirate:

morsecode
Exceedingly Obsessed
morsecode
Exceedingly Obsessed

2:10 PM - Jan 30, 2007 #15

voted ;)

geishabird
Thoroughly Obsessed
geishabird
Thoroughly Obsessed

2:47 PM - Jan 30, 2007 #16

Mysterious wrote: :lol:  Actually I was just going to go into my 'Cliff Clavin' impression and say....

Well Normy...actually back in the day when domain names were selected --you had your..........com , net, org, mil, edu, gov
Thank you, just about had my coffee spurt out my nose there!

:lol:

AM10000
Thoroughly Obsessed
AM10000
Thoroughly Obsessed

3:21 PM - Jan 30, 2007 #17

CheriePie wrote:
AM10000 wrote:I'll go ahead and put in a suggestion..I know it is probably too late though!  :lol: 

BookBeserker.com

berserker

noun
one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/berserker 

:bash:
Great suggestion AM!! (Though I assume you meant to spell it with the extra r in there... BookBerserker.com like your definition.) And it's not really too late at all. As I wrote in the top post above:
CheriePie wrote:... feel free to vote for it as a write-in.  If we have to, we'll make one final poll to include the write-ins, and the top answers from this poll.

... if you've got a new suggestion that hasn't been brought up yet, please verify the domain name you're suggesting is actually available before mentioning it here. That way, if people want to get behind that name, we know it's actually available and don't have to try to come up with alternate forms that may not be liked as much.
And of course, if your write-in gets a lot of support (I expect it will so everyone pipe up on any of the write-ins they like too), we'll include it in a final poll against the top ones from the above list. :D
You're right, I did mean to put the extra R in there..I guess I was too tired to be posting.. :lol:

giz-angel
Absolutely Obsessed
giz-angel
Absolutely Obsessed

3:26 PM - Jan 30, 2007 #18

Too many choices! I went for bookbabblers in the end.... I can see tomesweettome is winning but I think it's a bit twee it makes me feel a bit nauseous LMAO

CharmedKim
Thoroughly Obsessed
CharmedKim
Thoroughly Obsessed

3:31 PM - Jan 30, 2007 #19

Ooh, I like BookBerserker, too!

SandDanz
Thoroughly Obsessed
SandDanz
Thoroughly Obsessed

4:58 PM - Jan 30, 2007 #20

giz-angel wrote: Too many choices! I went for bookbabblers in the end.... I can see tomesweettome is winning but I think it's a bit twee it makes me feel a bit nauseous LMAO
honestly, I really didn't like the word "tome" in the name at all (hence, they weren't in the first poll) :(