New Feature: Location field in post

CheriePie
Beyond Obsessed
CheriePie
Beyond Obsessed

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:07 am #1

I've added a mod that enables the Location field—or any other custom field we may wish to define down the road—to appear with your post. If you look to the left, you'll notice it with mine. :D

To get it to show up with your own posts:
Even if you've already got the Location field on your profile filled in, it won't automatically appear with your posts until you visit your profile and re-save it.
If you haven't yet filled in your Location field, you can find it on your Control Panel under Edit Profile Info.
(While you're there, you might also want to check/verify some of your other settings, such as your time zone under Board Settings as we've currently got the board's default set to GMT.)

Mucho thanks to Cosmic and Sci for testing this with me. :kiss: :kiss:
Now I'm off to bed myself! :sleep:

ETA - Viewing of signatures must be turned on to view the location field with each post. Thanks to da cheese for figuring this out! :kiss:

ETA2 - If you've modified your signature, you'll notice that the Location now disappears from the area to the left of your posts. To get it to show back up again, you must revisit the Edit Profile Info of your Control Panel and click the Amend My Profile button there to resave the info, and reactivate the Location field. This is a minor bug which unfortunately I can't do anything about. :(

cosmic-gin
Extremely Obsessed
cosmic-gin
Extremely Obsessed

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:25 am #2

Night Cherie :kiss:

Thanks for figuring out the location stuff - I'm very happy that it's back :flowers:

wss4
Absolutely Obsessed
wss4
Absolutely Obsessed

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:17 pm #3

Glad that we have it back as it is a feature that I missed. Thanks for all your hard work Cherie!!

cheesygiraffe
Beyond Obsessed
cheesygiraffe
Beyond Obsessed

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:39 pm #4

That was already there but I don't see it when people post. Am I missing something?

CheriePie
Beyond Obsessed
CheriePie
Beyond Obsessed

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:56 pm #5

cheesygiraffe wrote: That was already there but I don't see it when people post. Am I missing something?
You won't see it for each person until they've manually gone back and saved their profile. Which is why I tried to explain above that even if it's already there, you need to resave things. I dunno why I couldn't force it to work without that, but it's the best I could do... :(

But I see it for you now, and Sci and cosmic, and Wendy... We'll just have to tell people to go enter it and save their profile and then it will show up.

cheesygiraffe
Beyond Obsessed
cheesygiraffe
Beyond Obsessed

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:01 pm #6

I don't see it still and I logged out and back in. Hmmm maybe if I tried IE instead of Firefox.

cheesygiraffe
Beyond Obsessed
cheesygiraffe
Beyond Obsessed

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:04 pm #7

All I see is:

The Cheese

Group: Forum Moderators
Member No.: 20

I under IE now but that's all I saw in FireFox too. :(

karendawn
Thoroughly Obsessed
karendawn
Thoroughly Obsessed

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:06 pm #8

cheesygiraffe wrote: I don't see it still and I logged out and back in. Hmmm maybe if I tried IE instead of Firefox.
I use Firefox and I'm seeing the locations just fine. You're located "somewhere beneath the books."

CheriePie
Beyond Obsessed
CheriePie
Beyond Obsessed

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:24 pm #9

That is strange cheesy! But then again, so are you... ;)

But I just pulled this page up in IE to check it there too and can see them fine in both Firefox and IE. Do you think it might be a caching thing? Have you tried clearing your IE cache?

cheesygiraffe
Beyond Obsessed
cheesygiraffe
Beyond Obsessed

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:25 pm #10

I will try that now. And btw Cherie :whip: that's for calling me strange.