BC Convention in Oxford?

azuki
Exceptionally Obsessed
azuki
Exceptionally Obsessed

4:44 PM - Jan 05, 2015 #1

I have been toying with the idea of going, as Oxford is a nice place to visit. I really miss the conventions as they haven't had one in N America for ages, and the next one 2016 is in Greece. There is no local BC meetup here either.

However, the other day Hubby checked online and the flights are like $1000 each. Which is way too pricey for us. Hopefully the price will drop significantly or else I won't be able to make it.

Anybody planning to attend?

lmn60
Thoroughly Obsessed
lmn60
Thoroughly Obsessed

9:08 AM - Jan 21, 2015 #2

I'll be there!

elsi
Beyond Obsessed
elsi
Beyond Obsessed

5:14 PM - Jan 21, 2015 #3

azuki wrote:I have been toying with the idea of going, as Oxford is a nice place to visit. I really miss the conventions as they haven't had one in N America for ages, and the next one 2016 is in Greece. There is no local BC meetup here either.

However, the other day Hubby checked online and the flights are like $1000 each. Which is way too pricey for us. Hopefully the price will drop significantly or else I won't be able to make it.

Anybody planning to attend?
I'm not going. But, have you checked to see if there are travel options on alternate sites, alternate dates or to alternate destinations? For example, I searched Travelocity for flights from Miami to London on 7 April (mid-week before the convention begins) returning on the 15th and the best it showed was $1054. But a search of British Airlines showed a fare of $834 and American Airlines had one at $634. oops, those were 1-way fares Going back to Travelocity, I searched alternate UK airports and found an $800 fare to Manchester.

And, if you look at flights with connections (Miami - Philly - London, for example), the price goes down even further. There's an AA-BA combination as low as $586 -- again, only the 1-way fare

Don't give up. April is pricier than January for flying to the UK, but it looks like there are some fairly reasonable fares available right now because of the advance purchase discounts. Prices will likely only go up.

Marlene
Absolutely Obsessed
Marlene
Absolutely Obsessed

11:31 AM - Jan 22, 2015 #4

I did not even know there is one in Oxford.

My problem is not the price of the flight but the cost of the hotel. When I did the Birmingham one I was able to fly very cheap but the price for a hotel room are really shocking for me. 150 pounds, . I think 25 euros per night is just about right but instead most hotels ask for at least 4 times that amount.

Wow you are going lmn? :applause:

azuki
Exceptionally Obsessed
azuki
Exceptionally Obsessed

4:40 PM - Jan 23, 2015 #5

Well Elsi, thanks for trying to find some good flights. Hopefully I can find something better.

lmn60
Thoroughly Obsessed
lmn60
Thoroughly Obsessed

1:45 AM - Jan 25, 2015 #6

Marlene wrote:
My problem is not the price of the flight but the cost of the hotel. When I did the Birmingham one I was able to fly very cheap but the price for a hotel room are really shocking for me. 150 pounds, . I think 25 euros per night is just about right but instead most hotels ask for at least 4 times that amount.
Marlene - the Oxford folk have arranged accommodation at St Hilda's College - about 50 pounds per night... very reasonable I reckon!

You should check it out... then we could finally meet in person!

O_o

zzz
Absolutely Obsessed
zzz
Absolutely Obsessed

10:23 PM - Jan 25, 2015 #7

Azuki I just checked, you can fly for $448 (return ticket (not one way!), direct flights) from Fort Lauderdale/Miami to Oslo, Norway and then from Oslo (there are three airports) you have bunch of low cost flights (meaning $25-$50 for return ticket) to numerous airports in UK. ;)

elsi
Beyond Obsessed
elsi
Beyond Obsessed

12:45 AM - Jan 26, 2015 #8

zzz wrote:Azuki I just checked, you can fly for $448 (return ticket (not one way!), direct flights) from Fort Lauderdale/Miami to Oslo, Norway and then from Oslo (there are three airports) you have bunch of low cost flights (meaning $25-$50 for return ticket) to numerous airports in UK. ;)
Now *that's* creative routing!

zzz
Absolutely Obsessed
zzz
Absolutely Obsessed

2:14 PM - Jan 26, 2015 #9

Yup, I'm kinda good in finding cheep options. Have sent recently my friend & his gf to Mumbai for 250€ (around 300$) return tickets. And I flew to Atgentina last year for 400€ which was insane rate :whistle:

azuki
Exceptionally Obsessed
azuki
Exceptionally Obsessed

4:07 AM - Jan 27, 2015 #10

zzz, you are better than most travel agents! :thumb:
I've also suggested to my hubby that he can stay home and I go on my own, that will surely cut cost in half! :lol:
BTW if you can find a cheap flight going to Portugal then England I am sure I can get my hubby to agree to the trip!