The Official Bogleech Forum Obituary (Please Read)

The official back-up forum of www.bogleech.com - a fansite for monsters, ghosts, aliens, bizarre zoology and strange creatures of all sorts!

The Official Bogleech Forum Obituary (Please Read)

Drfleelix
Indescribable Monstrosity
Drfleelix
Indescribable Monstrosity

Dec 13 2017, 04:56 AM #1

To anyone happening to read this,

As you can see, the transferal of all invisionfree forums to tapatalk has completely destroyed the original formatting for this place, rendering a lot of it unreadable, disorganized, and just unsightly. It's a shame, considering how long the site has managed to stay up in its mostly unaltered 2009 state. Because of this, I, the last active moderator for the site (or former moderator, the move seems to have stripped me of my mod powers), will no longer continue to manage this forum. It was great while it lasted, even through the emptiness and lack of activity. It was like my own little ruin - and I was the caretaker. However, I'm no longer capable of this, so I have no choice but to finally let go and release the bogleech forums to the sands of time.

A BRIEF HISTORY:

Believe it or not, despite the fact that it's a complete ghost town now, back in its day this forum was a big thing. Starting back in 2009, it was a place for friends and members of the Bogleech community (then a lot smaller) to communicate about the things they loved most, which was mostly horror, monsters, and creepy bugs. During that time - before social media really hit it off - forums were the big way for people on the internet to communicate, so it's only natural that the Bogleech gang would have one as well. While smaller than other forums of the time, it was certainly influential in the creepypasta and online horror scene at the time, spawning many recognizable titles and authors that you may or may not have heard of. NES Godzilla Creepypasta was story - written by Cosbydaf - as well as another certain infamous creepypasta author who wrote such notorious pastas as "Abandoned by Disney" and "Funnymouth", and a few others who I won't name for reasons I'll explain.

Unfortunately, the Bogleech forums were also rather infamous for being a total cesspool of jerks, dickwads, and assholes of all kinds. It was not a friendly environment, and it was infested - for lack of a better word - with some real nasty characters. Some of them also happened to be very significant creepypasta writers, and a lot of the popular pastas and horror you see floating around today were birthed from this hostile community. It got so bad to a point, the site administrator, Bogleech himself (known on here as scythemantis) decided a complete deep cleaning was necessary, and in 2012 announced a new, friendlier Bogleech Forum. This moment was known to us on the site as the "Great Bog War", (corny title I know, but remember it was 2012). The members who were driven off then proceeded to create their own spinoff forum who's name escapes me, "Borghldorg" or some other similar gross butchering of the world "Bogleech". This place never really took off though, and became mostly inactive aside for 3 or 4 members.

I appeared on the forum around this time, so everything that I've just described I've heard from the mouths of other members who were there. I'm aware that a lot more happened, but I unfortunately don't know enough to elaborate on details. From this point on however, I have a first hand memory of everything that happened since. I was a little web baby at that time, only around 14, and the forum was sort of my place of upbringing. The members were the first people on the whole wide internet to accept me as one of their own, and for the first time I had a place to belong to after searching and being rejected by plenty other online communities. This may be why I've held on to it for this long, but I digress.

Having been filtered of most of the bad eggs, the place was certainly a lot friendlier than it used to be, though that isn't saying that it was perfect. The forum pushed through, and in fact the site's activity blossomed after this point, both by new members drawn to the friendlier environment and e-tourists coming to see the place where a lot of the internet's popular fiction was born. It was around April of 2013 where the site's activity reached its peak, and it stayed up there for a good long while. That was until May of 2014..

See, although the site was a lot better than it was, it still wasn't perfect, and not all of the shitty characters that lived here left during that first "cleansing". It was at this point that, somehow, a fight broke out between the site administrators that escalated to the point where Bogleech deleted about half of the entire site. A good portion of the site's history, gone in a puff. Now, whether it was GOOD history is a debatable topic, but nonetheless it pissed off a LOT of members, to the point where most of them left. This point tumblr was coming onto the scene, and forums were already becoming dated, so people were also weaning off of forums and moving to more accessible social media. This moment became known as Bog War 2, or the second Bog War. A great portion of the site's population was driven off, including (for the most part) Bogleech and his spouse Revereche, who were the site administrators. The site was now left in the hand of its community. Bogleech appointed a few prominent members moderator status, and then proceeded to stop visiting, understandably, due to the bad memories it held. 

After this, the forums remained mostly as a place for a few close knit friends to just talk and be silly. We knew the place had basically no worth at this point, so we didn't really care what we did with the place. We made dumb and pointless topics, spammed, and talked like you would in a chatroom rather than a forum. It continued this way for the remainder of the forum's existence until it received its final deathblow, which I'll get into in a moment.

Almost the entirety of the Bogleech community now existed on tumblr and the disqus comments section for Bogleech's webcomic, "Awful Hospital". By this time, the Bogleech community became immensely more inclusive, and the majority of its members had never even been on the forum before, coming instead from tumblr. It was - and continues to be - a friendly and welcoming place fueled by Bogleech's own good spirit. The Bogleech forums were at this point FORMALLY - as in officially stated by Bogleech himself - in no way affiliated with him or his website, and by extension his community, due to the forum's spotty past. 

Only a handful of the forum community still coexisted with Bog himself, myself included, and we easily transferred into this newer community. However, earlier this year it turns out that old habits really do die hard, and a portion of those already select few who stuck around, turns out, were STILL very unpleasant people, causing them to be formally excluded from the community. Bogleech, after a good two years of total absence from the forums, made a brief return to do the final purge, stripping them of mod status and banning them. This was the final blow to the forums, as there were already so few posting here, and eventually everyone decided it wasn't worth their time and moved on. Except for me I guess. At this point I was already one of the moderators of the site, and after this happened I was the only one left. Since that point, it has been left abandoned.

I never stopped coming though, every day it was part of my routine to stop here and check for any new posts. Like checking my emails. I watched over the once bustling forum with a sense of pride. Bogleech didn't want it, no one else visited it, so in a way it was all mine. My own little piece of controversial history to look after and care for. I had my duties -although small and pointless - and I tended to them with joy. Which brings us to today I guess, where I'm no longer a mod and the site has lost all of its preserved charm to the cold, uncaring grasp of web 2.0. So, I'll take it as a sign to just let the fuck go already and get on with my life. It isn't that reasonable to continue caring for a site that has such a poor track record anyway. Perhaps it's best for the forums to just be forgotten along with all of the atrocious memories contained within its pages. 

Goodbye, Bogleech Forums. It's been a ride, to say the least.

- Drfleelix

R.I.P BOGLEECH FORUMS

2009 - 2017 (aged 8)
survived by: tumblr and the disqus section of Awful Hospital, droves and droves of kitchen bots
loved by one, missed by none

Wrinkledlion X
Elder Thing

Jul 3 2018, 05:51 AM #2

Damn dude, I don't even remember any of these conflicts or toxicity. I figured Bogleech just got exposed to tumblr and got sucked into the vastness. A simple pressure differential, like getting sucked out of an airlock.

I wish this place was still active honestly, whenever I've looked into the Bogleech tumblr community it feels watered down compared to the weirdness that used to go on here. It feels like tumblr as much than Bogleech, and I swore off tumblr a long time ago.