Pets thread

For creatures that actually exist! And other science things!

Pets thread

Sugarpolyp
Nameless Spawn
Sugarpolyp
Nameless Spawn

30 Jun 2009, 08:11 #1

Here's what i have!

My five walking sticks. They were selling them dirt cheap at this mom and pop pet shop.

Forgot to write down the Latin name, and i don't remember the normal name... so.... yeah.

My two Orthoporus Ornatus, Zappa and Itchy. (Itchy is the brown color variant)

Only photo here that i did not take, but same exact mantis. Mine just passed away today, and I'd kinda feel bad posting a picture of its crumpled up corpse. :[
Anyway, post yur pets d00dz.

Nematode
Indescribable Monstrosity
Nematode

30 Jun 2009, 16:13 #2

P. cancerides, my second tarantula and thus my oldest. also my largest, at somewhere between 6 and 7"

H. longipes. he's a huge prick and i'm almost confident that this is my only male.

P. irminia. she recently molted and is now a confirmed female.

P. antinous. she's really thin for a Pamphobeteus, but she still has a few inches to go. my personal favorite.

O. aureotibialis. until recently, i could not remember how to say that name to save my life. she's my token pet hole since longipes is an idiot.

T. blondi. because no collection is complete without one. expecting a molt from her soon.

S. subspinipes. my most dangerous pet.

H. arizonensis. i just got her the other day. she's chubby because the LPS doesn't realize that you have to manage their food intake yourself.

i have a few more, but i gotta go and i don't want to waste all of what i just wrote.

JT1
Nameless Spawn
JT1
Nameless Spawn

30 Jun 2009, 16:21 #3

All I have is a stupid dog and a cat.
Meet the family...

dodoman1
Inconceivable Abomination
dodoman1

30 Jun 2009, 18:31 #4

I used to have two dogs. Then they died. I now have no pets.
"Abominations, mutations, deviations... that's all you're gonna find down here."
My Tumblr
My DeviantArt
--

Jesus lizard
Jesus lizard

30 Jun 2009, 18:37 #5

I have a half russian blue (cat), and a small hermit crab, who refuses to pinch anyone or anything.
.....................................................................................................................................))><((

corpsecreature
Elder Thing

30 Jun 2009, 19:00 #6

I just have a black popeyed goldfish named nostradamus, but everyone calls him "chocolate!" because his other name is hard to remember. you have to scream it really loud though, or else it doesn't count.

"CHOCOLAAAATTTTEEE!!!!!"

Nematode
Nematode

30 Jun 2009, 20:19 #7

where was i? oh, yeah. the subspinipes.

my most dangerous pet, and also my longest. she used to be fat for the exact same reason the scorp is. she sparks "what measure is a non-human/non-cute" debates because she eats vertebrates.

M. balfouri. my most expensive pet and the most cooperative when i have to clean out the water dish.

Mexican Black Kingsnake. the only one i handle.

better pic of the P. irminia, post-molt.

i also have an L. violaceopes, but she's in dire need of a molt and taking a picture of her now would be a sin.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra

30 Jun 2009, 21:44 #8

I used to have a Mexican milksnake, several cornsnakes (one albino), assorted fish, betas, a salamander, goramis, hermit crabs, a Jackson's chameleon, and a couple chickens. But now all I have is four dogs (All are Australian sheperd/border collie) and a bearded dragon.

Nematode is the hardcore animal keeping faun. :/

You're a real Pollyanna Chup. - ScutigeraColeoptrata
outhouseinferno: chup's species came here when the teenaged ufo drivers threw their used condom out the airlock

SmashedPumpkin
Elder Thing

01 Jul 2009, 02:47 #9

I has cats. Pretty boring for Bogleech, I know, but (call me a softie) I like cuddly animals.

Not that walkingsticks, tarantulas, centipedes, and whatnot aren't cuddly, just that they're cuddly in a different way. Veeeeeeery different.

Nematode
Nematode

01 Jul 2009, 02:48 #10

stop calling me a faun, i got another new haircut. ;)

Matamata
Nameless Spawn
Matamata
Nameless Spawn

01 Jul 2009, 03:52 #11

My special pet goes with me where ever I go!

Sparky
Formless Pupa
Sparky
Formless Pupa

16 Jul 2009, 20:34 #12

All my pets can be seen here. I have a 12-year-old green cheek conure, a ball python, and 9 tarantulas currently. The giant water bug shown in my avatar died some months back. :(

Wrinkledlion X
Elder Thing

17 Jul 2009, 04:01 #13

Chupacabra @ Jun 30 2009, 09:44 PM wrote: I used to have a Mexican milksnake, several cornsnakes (one albino), assorted fish, betas, a salamander, goramis, hermit crabs, a Jackson's chameleon, and a couple chickens. But now all I have is four dogs (All are Australian sheperd/border collie) and a bearded dragon.

Nematode is the hardcore animal keeping faun. :/
I misread that as "Mexican milkshake."
Interpret that how you like.

Logos
Nameless Spawn
Logos
Nameless Spawn

17 Jul 2009, 09:18 #14

It brings all the muchachos to the yard! And they're like: "Es mejor que el suyo."

Until my tank was cracked a few years back in an embarrassing incident I'll not relate, I used to keep loaches of all kinds. Especially DOJO LOACHES.

This is a DOJO LOACH.

LOOK AT THAT ADORABLE FACE! I mostly had the golden version, though I had a few spotted ones.

Apparently, they're used in a variety of Asian folk remedies, but I never made any of mine into herbal teas. The poor bastards kept finding ways of flinging themselves to their distinctly un-watery deaths, despite my best efforts to cover the tank. Despite their suicidal tendencies, I have never had a fish with more character and personality than my dojo loaches had. They would sit in the trees as pictured, swim loop-the-loops around the tank thermometer, race around the tank whenever I opened the door like something was going to eat them, and seriously, seriously bother the couple of plecos I had in the tank by sitting on them repeatedly (seriously, they were like cats... wherever the pleco needed to be, the loach wanted to be RIGHT THERE). They would also sit up on their front fins, and bury themselves up to their necks in he sand.

They're also the only fish that I've ever seen fart. I'd like to say I was mistaken, but it's easy to tell underwater.
We hold out a candle to the secrets of the universe, and their darkness surrounds us; the brighter we shine our light, the more we realize how little we've illuminated.

Look at my games:
Forgotten
Desecrated

Shadow Goo
Shadow Goo

17 Jul 2009, 11:01 #15

I have two rats, one albino and one rex. The only pictures I have of them are on my cell phone, so I'll just post some pictures of rats that have a close likeness:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... et_rat.jpg
http://spazrats.tripod.com/goober.jpg
Our rex rat actually has a white belly and two white spots on the side, but the ruffly fur is about the same. They're named Nia and Penny, respectively.

We also have a frog that some neighbors of ours received via mail order and subsequently grew to a fairly large size. After going to the frog exhibit in the Baltimore Aquarium we learned that it is in fast an African clawed frog, and that they have absurdly long lifespans. We really don't know what to do with him since he can't leave his tank and all, so we just feed him every now and again and clean the tank and he seems fine.