Roofing Tar

Roofing Tar

Dan L.
Dan L.

December 4th, 2010, 4:52 pm #1

Did anyone ever chew chips of roofing tar when you were a kid? If so, why?

I wonder if that was worse than the food coloring in wax lips and candies?

Pat Davis
Pat Davis

December 4th, 2010, 5:25 pm #2

Never did the roofing tar, but did chew that plastic gel that came with it's own straw to blow bubbles with. I've been worried about that one for years, it had to have been carcenogenic. Also gnawed away on the little wax bottles that contained sugar water. But then again we also "jumped" from the bridge on 11th St. and hung out in our clubhouse underneath taking in all those lovely fumes!

Cathy Boland Corcoran
Cathy Boland Corcoran

December 4th, 2010, 10:47 pm #3

I lived on 7th Ave right across from the Railroad. I'm sure my lungs are poluted from inhaling all that smoke from the trains. also remember that lovely smell from the 14th Street bridge of the Chickens being killed.

Frank
Frank

December 4th, 2010, 11:06 pm #4

Chocolate smell of Hootens Chocolate on Fifth Street.

Hops and barley odor of neighborhood around Ballantine Brewery.

Distinct aroma of distinllery near "Four Diamonds" at Branch Brook Pare extension.

The smell of the inside of Sussex Avenue Gym. It was different than the smell of the gyms we went to in the suburbs. Years later I realized that the sweat and perspiration given off by athletes is comprised by much of what they eat. The basketball players who played at Sussex Avenue had a distinctly Southern diet with plenty of collard greens, chittlins and fried chicken.
Hence a different perspiration odor than in Nutley where pasta was a staple or Jersey City where rice and curry was abundant.
For years this bothered me. I knew my nose wasn't rascist, but there was a different smell. Glad I got that cleared up.

First Christmas gift this afternoon. Gave Norman a dunkin donuts gift card. He has been there all day.

Frank
Frank

December 4th, 2010, 11:31 pm #5

Still there. 12 hours in the same booth looking out the window. I don't know how he does it. I don't know why they let him. He checks out the cars going into the drive through window,

December 5th, 2010, 12:20 am #6

I was a paste and Playdough man, myself.

Mike Viscel
Mike Viscel

December 5th, 2010, 7:08 pm #7

Thanks Frank now i know everything i wanted to know about sweat.

Frank
Frank

December 5th, 2010, 7:33 pm #8

Some nights the aroma in the Sussex Avenue gym would knock you over.
Then when I went to gym class at Essex Catholic, nothing. I used to like the smell of the school papers that went through the mimeograph machine, as well as the smell of a new car. Cotton candy was another good one and the pop corn at the movies. Never liked the smell of gasoline.

Eileen Zachariah
Eileen Zachariah

December 5th, 2010, 7:41 pm #9

Did anyone ever chew chips of roofing tar when you were a kid? If so, why?

I wonder if that was worse than the food coloring in wax lips and candies?
Of course I did all THREE things. Did The Tar make your teeth white? Had to waite until the workmen were gone from the truck to take the tar. Of course the plastic was good to chew on.I believe the lips are still around and the little bottles that had a very very sweet water. How many would take the pieces of ice from the bottom of the wooded flood on the back of the ice truck. Remember the ladies would put their heads out the windows and order 25, 50, cents etc. The man would chop the ice put it on a piece of cloth and carry it to the house. What kind of cloth did the ice man use? Also if I wanted 25 & you wanted 50 cents, did we get different size pieces of ice? Remember the vegtable man selling from his truck. He would yell what he had to sell. The the ladies would stick out there heads and order what the wanted. Never took anything.

BOB DAVIS, SR.
BOB DAVIS, SR.

December 6th, 2010, 5:39 am #10

I ALSO REMEMBER THE MILK MAN AND HIS HORSE DRAWN WAGON. WHEN THE MILKMAN LEFT TO DELIVER MILK TO ONE HOUSE THE HORSE WOULD AUTOMATICALLY MOVE FORWARD TO THE NEXT STOP AND WAIT THERE.

I ALSO REMEMBER THE RAGMAN AND HIS HORSE DRIVEN WAGON. I CAN STILL HIM SHOUTING OUT "RAGS".

THERE WERE SANITATION WAGONS WITH TWO HUGH EX-FIRE DEPARTMENT HORSES PULLING IT.

HOW ABOUT THE MAN WHO TRAVELED THE STREETS WITH A GRINDING MACHINE ON HIS BACK. HE USED TO RING A BELL TO CALL PEOPLE TO HAVE THEIR KNIVES SHARPENED AND UMBRELLAS FIXED.

JUST TO NAME A FEW!!!

Confirmation of reply: