RIP Mr. Tortoriello

RIP Mr. Tortoriello

July 20th, 2012, 10:47 pm #1

Sad to share the news that our classmates' father, Anthony Tortoriello, has passed. Our condolences to Bill and Vinnie. Mr. T was a very warm and talented guy who always had a word of cheer or encouragement, and I fondly remember him and the whole Tortoriello family from Third Street.

Anthony G. Tortoriello, 92, of East Hanover, N.J., passed away on July 13, 2012, in Livingston, N.J., surrounded by his loving family. A Funeral Mass will be held on Thursday at 10 a.m. at Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament R.C. Church in Roseland, N.J. Kindly arrive at the funeral home by 9:15 a.m. Visitation will be held on Wednesday from 4 to 8 p.m. at Farmer Funeral Home, 45 Roseland Ave., Roseland, N.J. 07068. Entombment will be held at Gate of Heaven Cemetery in East Hanover. Condolences and memories may be shared at www.farmerfuneral.com. Anthony was born and raised in Newark, N.J., before moving to Roseland in 1968, where he resided and raised a family until 2010, when he moved to East Hanover. He worked as draftsman, dial marker, and most importantly an artist for Westinghouse Corp. in Newark, for 47 years, retiring in 1981.

Anthony was a veteran of the United States Army during World War II, seeing quite a bit of action in the Philippines. During his service, he was awarded the Victory Medal, the Good Conduct Medal, and a Purple Heart. Anthony was a member of the Knights of Columbus Council No. 6504, and the Italian-American Club of East Hanover. He was the beloved husband of the late Carmella "Emily" Tortoriello. Anthony was the devoted father of William Tortoriello, Joanne Denice and her husband, Nicholas, and Dr. Vincent Tortoriello and his wife, Rosalee. He was the cherished grandfather of Aisha, Billy, Jennifer, Melissa, Nicholas, Deanna, Tara, Vincent, and Kayla. Anthony was the proud great-grandfather of Jack, Maxwell, and Benjamin. He was the dear father-in-law of Sonia Tortoriello. Anthony was predeceased by his sister, Ann Gorto. He was the caring brother-in-law of Dorothy, Nettie, and Jean Immerso. Anthony was the loving uncle of numerous nieces and nephews.

In lieu of flowers, a donation in his memory may be made to the Disabled American Veterans, P.O. Box 14301, Cincinnati, Ohio 45290-0301, or www.dav.org/donate/ or the Wounded Warrior Project, 4899 Belfort Rd., Suite 300, Jacksonville, Fla. 32256, or woundedwarriorproject.org.

Osvaldo (Jerry) Lopez
Osvaldo (Jerry) Lopez

July 21st, 2012, 12:35 am #2

I lived in the same building for a brief time on third and seventh ave. The Tortoriellos lived in the first floor of my building if I remember correctly. They may have been our landlord, I don't remember.

I do remember Billy's and Vinnie's father. I also remember their sister. She had long dark hair. Mr. Tortoriello was always kind to me. I had a very good impression of him. It's been forty years plus since I moved from Newark to Fort Lauderdale, but I still remember this man. It's sad to hear of his passing.

Bob Davis Jr.
Bob Davis Jr.

July 21st, 2012, 12:43 am #3

My sincere condolences to Bill, Vinny and the entire Tortoriello Family.

Confirmation of reply: