Moe Berg Death

Moe Berg Death

Steve Mandel
Steve Mandel

May 28th, 2012, 11:18 pm #1

Tomorrow, May 29, marks the 40th anniversary of the death of Moe Berg. Moe was a great American as well as a Major League baseball player. If anyone has any memories of Moe, I'd like to hear them. Moe was a Princeton graduate, and a Columbia Law School graduate. If anyone has any Moe Berg memorabilia, I am always interested. Moe graduated from Barringer High School in 1918. Steve

M Gannon
M Gannon

May 31st, 2012, 12:03 pm #2

I worked in Rausch's Confectioary Store on the corner of Roseville Ave and 7th Ave from 6th grade until my Junior year in High School. I worked for Cynthia and Harold Rausch. Cynthia would tell me about Moe and that he spoke many languages and was a spy during the war. She also told me he was a major league baseball player.
My role was to save the New York Telegraph Newspaper for him everyday plus some other papers. He might not show up to collect these papers for a month, but we dutifully saved them for him.
He was such a tall man and a huge prescence when he entered the store. He certainly didn't look or act like Casey Stengel. He would wear a long navy blue overcoat and a beret covering his somewhat curly black and silver hair.
His brother was a doctor with offices and a home on Roseville Avenue in Newark. Moe would stay with his brother until he disappeared and reappeared -no one ever knew when that would be. Whenever it was -His newspapers would be waiting.

Steve Mandel
Steve Mandel

July 6th, 2012, 1:14 pm #3

Thanks for sharing. I am a passionate (28 years) Moe Berg memorabilia collector. I also have given many talks about Moe at various venues. I am trying to locate a 1918 Barringer High School yearbook. Do you know of where I might be able to get one? I have tried the school, etc. Do you know of anyone that might have Moe related items that they would want to part with? Steve

Bill Sheppard
Bill Sheppard

August 30th, 2012, 5:25 am #4

Tomorrow, May 29, marks the 40th anniversary of the death of Moe Berg. Moe was a great American as well as a Major League baseball player. If anyone has any memories of Moe, I'd like to hear them. Moe was a Princeton graduate, and a Columbia Law School graduate. If anyone has any Moe Berg memorabilia, I am always interested. Moe graduated from Barringer High School in 1918. Steve
From my apartment in MacEvoy Court, I used to see Moe Berg relaxing in the back yard
of his brother's house along with sister Ethel. Never knew he was famous until he was
introduced at the dedication of the new Roseville Post Office.

Steve Mandel
Steve Mandel

August 31st, 2012, 1:36 pm #5

Bill, did you ever have any other "run-ins" with Moe? Did you or your friends ever meet him? He was a truly fascinating man. I am very interested in any other info you might remember.

Confirmation of reply: