East Orange,New Jersey

East Orange,New Jersey

Gloria
Gloria

January 17th, 2012, 2:44 pm #1

My roots are from East Orange,New Jersey.I had a wonderful childhood growing up there one town over from Newark! My mom and dad raised a family of four children.We will always have fond memories of childhood home!

January 19th, 2012, 12:31 am #2

I recently started a blog about East Orange initially concentrating on The Oval and on Stockton School which I attended from 1952 to 1959:

www.stocktonschool.blogspot.com

The blog has photos, memories and history and is gradually covering all parts of the city. We also have a Facebook group at "Stockton School Alumni" and I've created several photo albums for that group. We'd welcome participation in the blog and in the Facebook group by anyone interested in the area.

Gloria
Gloria

January 19th, 2012, 5:54 am #3

Thank you Jeff.I will let my family know about this website!
It's really nice to step back in time and see pictures or read other
people's stories.

January 19th, 2012, 5:36 pm #4

Gloria,

I'd be interested in knowing more about your East Orange history e.g. schools, neighborhood, years you were there. Email me if you or your family would like to correspond or participate in the blog or Facebook page.

Jeff Smith
wjstv@mindspring.com

Gloria
Gloria

January 20th, 2012, 12:00 am #5

I will let my family know and se if they would like to leave a story or picture.

Dell McGinley Simeone
Dell McGinley Simeone

April 7th, 2012, 3:34 pm #6

My roots are from East Orange,New Jersey.I had a wonderful childhood growing up there one town over from Newark! My mom and dad raised a family of four children.We will always have fond memories of childhood home!
Hey JMSmith,

I don't know where you lived or when. I lived in East Orange in the Forties. My mother and her whole family was born there. My Grandfather used to be a Police officer there. I don't remember him. He died the year before I was born. My grandparents were Irish immigrants. We lived on Shepard Avenue between Elmwood Avenue and Central. My Uncle worked in the Red Tower on Central Avenue. One of my my cousins worked as the manager of the Acme or Safeway, maybe an A&P, anyway, it was one of the first Super Markets. My uncle Ed and his family lived a few blocks away on Nassau Place, near the Nassau School.
I remember going to the movies during the war and seeing newsreels of Gen. Eisenhower reviewing the troupes. There was a place on Central Avenue near the hospital (where I was born) called Ziggy's. It became a Howard Johnson's. We went to Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament R.C. Church on Elmwood Avenue. I also went to the church school, also on Elmwood Avenue. I remember Elmwood Park. There was also a Presbyterian Church on the corner. I went there with Bobby Ball a couple of times. I remember our neighbors, the Slattery's, the Dombrowski's the Knapps, the Balls, the Topars. Georgie Harrison was a neighbor and a photographer. I still have a photo Georgie look of me in Elmwood Park. I'm all blond curls with a dirty face (tomboy) and wearing a pinafore.

You could go to the movies (The Hollywood) on Central Avenue, and see two features, cartoons, a newsreel and maybe a serial, like "The Scorpion" all for a quarter. Some times we would walk on Oraton Parkway to Newark (Vailsburg) to the Mayfair or the Stanley. before TV, we all listen to the radio. There would be serials on like "Sky King", "The Green Hornet", "The Lone Ranger" and "Superman". The most famous was "The Shadow". I liked "Ozzie and Harriet", but my favorite mystery was "Mr. Keene Tracer of Lost Persons", all of these shows relied on sound effects to make them sound authentic. I'm just thinking of a lot more shows. But I won't go on. We played kick the can, hide and seek, giant steps, may I, jump rope, roller skated, and if it rained in the summer, went out side in our bathing suits. I remember marching down the street celebrating V_E (victory in Europe) day banging pots and pans. I also remember the ice man, the ragman (horse and wagon), and the lamplighter who carried a ladder to climb up and light the gas lamps.

Dell

Jeff Smith
Jeff Smith

April 7th, 2012, 11:42 pm #7

Thanks for the memories, Dell.

My Irish-Catholic gggf Smith and gggm Reilly immigrated to Newark about 1847.
I lived at 145 William St, E.O. facing Stockton Place, from 1947 (birth) to 1959, and then we moved out of NJ.

I recently sent a collection of East Orange High yearbooks to Classmates.com to scan and they now have them up on their site. I sent them 1923, 1929, 1946, and 1952 (they already had 1932) so, if your mother or any of your relatives attended EOHS then, you can look at their yearbooks on-line now for free.

I never got over to the Central Ave. area much when I was a kid, but our family went to Howard Johnson's once a month for Sunday dinner. Do you know when HJ's was built? I had some email correspondence with the singer Janis Ian recently. She lived in the apt building (The Hamilton) on the corner of S Munn and Central ave, diagonally across from the hospital, from the summer of 1961 to about Dec of 1964, attended Nassau School 1961/62, Vernon L Davey 1962/64, and EOHS in the fall of 1964. I realize that was probably a couple of years after you were in the neighborhood.

Thanks again for sharing some EO history.

Jeff Smith

Eddie Wingren
Eddie Wingren

April 28th, 2012, 12:21 pm #8

I recently started a blog about East Orange initially concentrating on The Oval and on Stockton School which I attended from 1952 to 1959:

The blog has photos, memories and history and is gradually covering all parts of the city. We also have a Facebook group at "Stockton School Alumni" and I've created several photo albums for that group. We'd welcome participation in the blog and in the Facebook group by anyone interested in the area.
Hi Jeff: My name is Eddie Wingren: I moved to 24 N. 16th St EONJ in '54 I was in the 3rd Grade. D***! I wish my memory was better! Maybe teacher's names will come to me after a couple more coffees? I do remember a few classmates names, which will have to be spelled pnonetically. I remember Charles (Choppy/Chopper)Pidco, Eleanor Barisi, Judy Wolsol, Pershing Canfield, Dante Chinney, Clifford Hoffman: There was a Warren (last name escapes me) we called Topper. I was there for probably 3rd 4th and 5th grade. I 'do' remember it as was a wonderful school full of Great Kids! Looking forward to exploring your Site! What a great idea!
Thanks for awakening some long lost memories. I'm certain it will all come back in a rush, as I get a little more awake!

Jeff Smith
Jeff Smith

April 28th, 2012, 2:38 pm #9

Eddie: I was in 2nd grade for 1953/54 so you might be a year older than I am. There are some teacher lists in my first blog post on May 18, 2011. One is from John Hoagland who is also a year older than me. A friend and I were at The Oval in the late 1950's and a couple of kids were in the middle of the baseball field. We went to talk to them and the one that was a little older than me seemed very self-confident (sort of like Fonzie) and introduced himself by saying "call me Topper." Never talked to him again, but for some reason I always remembered that. I looked at the 1962 East Orange yearbook that's online on Classmates.com and with the sophomores (p. 144, class of 1964) is a guy listed as "D. Chinni" who could be the "Dante Chimney" you mentioned. Didn't see any of the other names. Look through my blog and join the Facebook group and we can probably help jog each other's memories. Feel free to email me directly.

Jeff Smith
wjstv@mindspring.com

Jeff Smith
Jeff Smith

July 22nd, 2012, 11:49 am #10

I recently received scans of photos from the Berg Collection courtesy of the Newark Public Library. In October 1964, Dr Sam Berg took photos of the historic area of Main St in East Orange that would soon be destroyed to make way for I-280. The first images are now up on my Stockton School blog:

http://stocktonschool.blogspot.com/2012 ... nwood.html

Confirmation of reply: