Bathgate Place, Dr. Mulvaney

Bathgate Place, Dr. Mulvaney

December 16th, 2004, 2:18 am #1

Hi John,
I enjoyed your photos of Bathgate Place. In the next-to-last photo, is the office of school dentist Dr. Mulvaney. Just say "AHH" or was it "AHHHHHHH, that hurt"!

Dr. Mulvaney was a former Army dentist who also made periodic visits to the school to examine students' teeth and to "excise their incisors" as he did to me in third grade.

AHHHH yes, "Just sit in the chair, young man" said he, "Just lean back". Without any warning...YANK,YANK, YANK. He pulled out my two eye teeth and a molar and sent me back to class.
My sister, Jean went to his office on Bathgate Place where he proceeded to MANUALLY (not electric)drill her tooth. No..No..No "Novocanie" when you went to see Dr. Mulvaney!

Ah yes, on the torture scale at SRL, those experiences ranked close to the thoughts of "the spanking machine". Where was the Geneva convention when we were in school?
Dan
Last edited by danmoore4nj on December 16th, 2004, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

GSmith (Smitty)SRL 52
GSmith (Smitty)SRL 52

December 16th, 2004, 3:49 am #2

Ha Ha! I remember those horror stories about Dr. Mulvaney. So when I devoloped a cavity in a back tooth, rather than face the Marquee de Sad I convinced mom to choose another dentist. Anything was better. She made an appointment with another dentist (Dr. Chenitz) From 4th and Orange,second floor. After poking around my mouth for what seems like an eternity, and listening to his long lecture about "brushing teeth", he proceeded to drill,,,,Guess what....no novacane! he must have studied dentistry with Mulvaney. Well here's to you Dr. Chenitz, where ever you are, you know all the time you spent lecturing me about brushing?......well I still don't.... . When my teeth need cleaning I throw them in the dish washer.
Last edited by GSmith (Smitty)SRL 52 on December 16th, 2004, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pat Culligan Farrelly
Pat Culligan Farrelly

December 16th, 2004, 11:01 am #3

Thanks to all of our old neighborhood Dentists, I for one can't walk into an office without the smell making me sick! I still get white-knuckled and my knees get weak. It's almost like PTSS. And what about waiting in line in the auditorium for our shots, not knowing what was on the other side of that "white curtain"? Kids were screaming and fainting while somebody yelled----"next"!

Joe Bilby
Joe Bilby

December 16th, 2004, 12:41 pm #4

And we have all that nice mercury based filling material in our mouths.

Despite the lack of Novocaine, I guess Mulvaney did decent work. I think I still have some of those fillings in my mouth. It was an awful experience, though, no doubt about that.

Thank God for the advent of flouride!

Les Brown
Les Brown

December 16th, 2004, 2:42 pm #5

Thanks to all of our old neighborhood Dentists, I for one can't walk into an office without the smell making me sick! I still get white-knuckled and my knees get weak. It's almost like PTSS. And what about waiting in line in the auditorium for our shots, not knowing what was on the other side of that "white curtain"? Kids were screaming and fainting while somebody yelled----"next"!
I love to tell my Roseville dentist story. I was about 18 and had a tooth ache and went to a dentist at the end of Sussex Avenue where it met Myrtle Avenue and West Market Street. He had a practice in a house and was noted in the neighborhood as being inexpensive but "dirty". I remember how he leaned over me with a short cigar in his mouth and I was afraid the ash would drop down my throat. Finally, he took the well bitten cigar from his mouth and placed it on the tray with all his instruments. He put that little mirror in my mouth but apparently he couldn't see well enough, so he put it up to his mouth and blew air on it before he wiped it on his shirt! He then proceeded to pull my tooth. This is a story I enjoy telling my current dentist who I know thinks I must have been on LSD and made up the whole event. I also went to Dr. Mulvaney and I had a headache for weeks after going to him. I later discovered that using older novacaine can lead to severe headaches so I guess he saved the outdated stuff for kids.

Jeff Schick
Jeff Schick

December 16th, 2004, 2:58 pm #6

Ah yes, the good doctor Mulvaney.
He was affectionately known as:
Dr. Pain
The Butcher
and, my favorite.
Dr. Mengala
From reading all of the different stories he certainly did have an impact on many of our lives.
Another Kodak moment in time.

December 18th, 2004, 1:40 am #7

Hi John,
I enjoyed your photos of Bathgate Place. In the next-to-last photo, is the office of school dentist Dr. Mulvaney. Just say "AHH" or was it "AHHHHHHH, that hurt"!

Dr. Mulvaney was a former Army dentist who also made periodic visits to the school to examine students' teeth and to "excise their incisors" as he did to me in third grade.

AHHHH yes, "Just sit in the chair, young man" said he, "Just lean back". Without any warning...YANK,YANK, YANK. He pulled out my two eye teeth and a molar and sent me back to class.
My sister, Jean went to his office on Bathgate Place where he proceeded to MANUALLY (not electric)drill her tooth. No..No..No "Novocanie" when you went to see Dr. Mulvaney!

Ah yes, on the torture scale at SRL, those experiences ranked close to the thoughts of "the spanking machine". Where was the Geneva convention when we were in school?
Dan
HI Smitty
I too convinced my mother to take me somewhere other thatn Dr. Mulvaney and she took me on the Orange St. subway to (Bellville?). The new dentist administered sweet air as anesthesea and I tried to reseist by not breathing in. I didn't work.
On the return trip on the subway, I puked from the effects of the sweet air and must have annoyed the driver and other passengers.

Jeff Schick
Jeff Schick

December 19th, 2004, 3:29 pm #8

After going to Dr. Mulvaney for what seemed like 30 years (it probably was only 1 or 2)my little sister (some of you know as Susan Kemka)introduced me to her new Dentist. His name was Dr. Strollo and suddenly going to the Dentist was no longer a nightmare but almost a pleasure.
When you were finished getting your teeth worked on he would give you this little coupon that allowed you to go next door and get a free ice cream cone.
He was a good Dentist and a nice man.

Bob Davis, Sr.
Bob Davis, Sr.

December 19th, 2004, 8:48 pm #9

I remember a dentist who had an office on Orange Street above Roseville Avenue. He has passed on and can not defend himself so I will not mention his name. He was pretty good except for one shortcoming -- he did not have an X-Ray machine. He said he did not need one. He would put a small flashlight against each tooth and he said that he could determine if there were any cavities therein. When ever I went to another dentists thereafter, I would tell them that story and they laughed.

I am over 70 years of age and have 26 teeth in my mouth, which include 4 caps. I would not have them if I continued to go to the original one

I also attended the one on Sussex Avenue and Myrtle Avenue and experienced the unsanitary procedure he used. Luckily I only went to him once.

Jeffrey Schick must remember the time I sent him to the dentist the hard way. It was accidental Jeff!!!
Last edited by Bob Davis, Sr. on December 21st, 2004, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Schick
Jeff Schick

December 19th, 2004, 9:30 pm #10

I forgave you a long time ago Uncle Bob, although to this day, I still have a crooked jaw and smile.

Confirmation of reply: