After Newark

After Newark

June 27th, 2012, 8:14 pm #1

While I know a few folks still living on Second Street, most of us left town at some point. After the '67 riots, my old man moved the clan to Linden. Just a couple stops away on the Penn Central, or whatever it was then, so I remained a frequent visitor. Where did you guys move to?

Brian Fallon
Brian Fallon

June 27th, 2012, 11:16 pm #2

I enjoyed growing-up in Roseville. Good people of the 50's working hard to see to it that we could have college educations and be successful. Good times! Good friends! We never locked our doors and, as kids, our friends were always welcome in our homes. When that changed, most of us moved out.

My family moved to Harrison. During the riots, the draw bridges were drawn-up at night and the Passaic River worked well as a mote.

After graduating from Seton Hall, I moved to Kearny and then to Cliffside Park, were we still reside....on the grounds of the former Palisades Amusement Park (now, high rises).

I haven't moved that far from Newark. Many of us are streached across America and throughout the world. My memories of Newark, as it was in our youth, will always have a special place in my heart.

Tom McCaffrey
Tom McCaffrey

June 28th, 2012, 3:19 am #3

While I know a few folks still living on Second Street, most of us left town at some point. After the '67 riots, my old man moved the clan to Linden. Just a couple stops away on the Penn Central, or whatever it was then, so I remained a frequent visitor. Where did you guys move to?
We moved to Kearny after the 67 riots, and now retired in Monroe NJ
But drove for Pechters Bread Co in Harrison and deliverd to all the Newark schools.So I had the pleasure of driving thru my old stomping grounds.
Also pump gas At Eddies on west Market St and then work at his other location on 17th Ave & Livingston St.
So come on you Orange st people and tell me what this address means to you.
Except for all the NPD men and women in blue.

Ed Swinesburg
Ed Swinesburg

June 28th, 2012, 2:30 pm #4

17th.Ave. and Livingston St. was across from the West District Police Station. Never worked there, but heard a lot of stories about the station.

Still lived in Newark after the riots, leaving in 1971 to Kearny, North arlington,Passaic, and then finally the state of Pennsylvania.

Don Hebert
Don Hebert

June 28th, 2012, 3:13 pm #5

I had already moved to East Orange about three years before the riots. After that I kept moving west to: West Orange, Whippany, Mendam and finally to the Jersey Shore.

These town are all great in their own ways, but my happiest memories are of growing up in Newark. I think you can go home again - if only in your dreams.

Skip Borsos
Skip Borsos

June 29th, 2012, 3:20 am #6

My last month and year in Newark was 1956. We moved to Union and I commuted to Barringer so I could graduate from there in January, 1957. My HR teacher was Vinnie Albano, and he was the one who said it would be just betrween us so I could graduate.

As for the riots, I was living in Kentucky attending school getting the Newark Evening News my mother sent and watching the action on NBC Nightly News with Huntley and Brinkley. Just recently a friend of ours who lives in Sicklerville mentioned that he was with the National Guard hunkered down behind a Jeep on Springfield Avenue at the height of the riots. There they were without ANY live ammo being shot at on occasion! No one had issued any specific orders to them other than to tell people to stay off the streets or get their heads back inside their apartment windows. Real fun times.

Dave Hudson
Dave Hudson

June 29th, 2012, 2:54 pm #7

I grew up on Second St. as well, went to St. Rose's and cherished my time in Newark during the 50's & 60's. I married a Newark girl in '72, then moved to the Ironbound. We stayed until '79 then went to Union. ( my mother wanted to know why I moved so far from Newark.) We now live in Middletown and love it, but our time in Newark was the most exciting and is something we often reflect on when measuring relationships, respect, religion and family values.............all of the things we learned growing up in NEWARK!

July 11th, 2012, 1:52 pm #8

grew up in the ironbound,darcy st. to brill st. to adams st., survived the riots since we were untouched down neck ,& remained in the ironbound until 1985 when we moved to north arlington ( wife, Catherine Lawrence Olohan & 2 kiddies)

July 18th, 2012, 5:12 am #9

I lived on First St., near the corner of Orange St., until 1971. We stayed in Newark but moved to Steven Crane Village. I moved out in 1982, got married and moved to Toms River, where I still am today, after 30 years. I grew up on First Street so I will never forget the great times I had in Newark.

July 18th, 2012, 10:34 pm #10

We were neighbors for a few years, Michael. I grew up on Second Street, between Orange and Seventh Ave. I was just a little kid by the time you moved from there, but my family had been on Second Street for decades....the McCann/Hudson clan.

Confirmation of reply: