Jivaro Blowgun Darts - Are they still available?

8:56 PM - Aug 05, 2018 #1

I have a Jivaro blowgun I bought nearly 40 years ago. Loved the old magazine ad. Does anyone know where I could buy darts for the Jivaro? I believe they are 38 caliber. Thanks

neondog
Addicted
neondog
Addicted

6:35 AM - Aug 06, 2018 #2

I stumbled across some 38 caliber darts about twelve years ago but not the bead type commonly associated with your blowgun. They were poorly made plastic cones on wire shafts.

Have you tried making paper darts like the Shapiro. That would be the easiest home made dart for such a small caliber. Here is a link (I hope?) to his primer page http://tomshiro.org/pdart/
United States Blowgun Associationusblowgun.com

neondog
Addicted
neondog
Addicted

6:50 AM - Aug 06, 2018 #3

Forgot to mention that the PDF file on the download page has a much more detailed explanation of how to make the darts with several photos and "Warhead" suggestions.  Welcome to the forum. 
United States Blowgun Associationusblowgun.com

2:43 PM - Aug 06, 2018 #4

Thanks for the information NeonDog - It's a very interesting concept, paper cone darts. 

After I posted my question; I went out to the barn and started a massive search for the tube my Jivaro was shipped in decades ago ( i kept it to keep the darts in and I'm a packrat too lol) Anyway, I found it. Not only hundreds of darts but all of the promotional materials, pages of testimonials and the original Anteater ad. It was like a blowgun time capsule. 
Thanks for your suggestions. 

thunker54
Addicted

3:54 PM - Aug 07, 2018 #5

I have an old blowgun from around 1977 that used the bead darts.  I suspect it's similar but labeled "Yaqua Survival Weapon" made by some MarVac.Inc outfit here in Tulsa.
I found that I can shoot the little commercial .40 darts through it - they used to be the red cones.  I'd have to work the cone around in my fingers a bit to flex it up enough to slide through the tube and then they'd shoot fine.....

Here's an old add for the "Yaqua" blowguns from ancient history.  heh....

https://books.google.com/books?id=T4yxQ ... un&f=false

9:38 PM - Aug 08, 2018 #6

Thanks for sharing the old ad ... I love it..
your blow gun looks a lot like the Jivaro. Thanks for the advice on the darts too. I may take some pics of the Jivaro , all the promo material they sent with it, and the string of beads to make darts ~ it’s amusing.

thunker54
Addicted

2:22 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #7

As I recall, mine came in a plastic display bag with a couple of strings of beads and a few lengths of music wire.  You cut the wires to the length you wanted, heated them and melted them in to a bead.

These are all the beads I have left, but not too bad after 40+ years.  ;-)

targetzonesports
Addicted

2:08 AM - Aug 13, 2018 #8

WOW! - I can't believe the low shipping rates in those years a $1.65?

These days by the cheapest carrier in which is Priority Air Mail believe it or not, and we pay about $11.00 for a 36" blowgun and $15.00 and some change to ship a 48" blowgun. The again we ship a 48" in 8 - 9 layers of cardboard. Two guys can stand on a box when we get done with it and will not bend. Big difference in price tho! WOW!!

thunker54
Addicted

2:38 AM - Aug 13, 2018 #9

targetzonesports wrote: WOW! - I can't believe the low shipping rates in those years a $1.65?

These days by the cheapest carrier in which is Priority Air Mail believe it or not, and we pay about $11.00 for a 36" blowgun and $15.00 and some change to ship a 48" blowgun. The again we ship a 48" in 8 - 9 layers of cardboard. Two guys can stand on a box when we get done with it and will not bend. Big difference in price tho! WOW!!
LOL.  Boy now I know I AM getting old.  I remember 5-cent first class stamps....  And bread for a quarter.  Now a stamp is 49 cents.  So, proportioning that up to today's dollars:  that's a 49/5 = 9.8 fold increase.
So back then, the $11 you charge now would be $11 / 9.8 = $1.12 in "olden day" dollars...  ;-)
(Now where did I leave me cane? ......)  ;-)