thunker54
Addicted

June 1st, 2018, 3:53 pm #451

thunker54
Addicted

June 11th, 2018, 12:34 am #452

Front cam only view of my second outing with my Focke-Wulf 190 last week....

thunker54
Addicted

June 13th, 2018, 10:11 pm #453

StevensAero Shaft 400.  Ever since I re-covered this thing I've had a hard time getting it balanced back in.  Here's a flight still tweaking, and getting it tuned in to my new radio...

ronwiththewind
Addicted

June 14th, 2018, 12:28 am #454

thunker54 wrote: StevensAero Shaft 400.  Ever since I re-covered this thing I've had a hard time getting it balanced back in.  Here's a flight still tweaking, and getting it tuned in to my new radio...
I like The Girl From Ipanema song at the start of this video, but I much prefer the version by Astrud Gilberto & Stan Getz ◊ The Girl From Ipanema ◊ 1964.

thunker54
Addicted

June 14th, 2018, 1:55 am #455

ronwiththewind wrote: I like The Girl From Ipanema song at the start of this video, but I much prefer the version by Astrud Gilberto & Stan Getz ◊ The Girl From Ipanema ◊ 1964.
Nice!  Love the oldies!

thunker54
Addicted

June 14th, 2018, 1:57 am #456

I've been still going through my "hangar" of airplanes and getting them tweaked in to my new radio.  Here's a flight I did Tuesday with my Multiplex ParkMaster Pro.
I think I only have 2 airplanes now that I haven't got set up with my new radio.

I got "attacked" by a bird!  I'm pretty sure it was a killdeer as it made a lot of noise and fluttered down right in front of me doing a "I'm hurt" routine.  So no doubt it has a nest out in the field somewhere and was trying to distract me from it.   As you can see, it got quite upset with me and my plane!

Kinda came down hard the last time and broke my landing gear.  And it had a carbon fiber strip, too!  I repaired it by drilling a hole in the fuselage and landing gear strut so I could glue a carbon fiber rod where the break was.  Then I wrapped the whole thing with some carbon fiber thread strip and epoxied over that - like fiberglassing.  But before that landing, it was a fun flight.  This plane flies sooo predictably and does exactly what you ask from it.  Wish I could fly it better - but, even after practicing for 10 years now, I'm still learning.

thunker54
Addicted

July 2nd, 2018, 1:21 pm #457

I bought this a couple of years ago and built it - flew it a while and got sidetracked with other projects and put it in storage.  I got it out the other night and prepped it for flight again.
So here's the "re-maiden" flight.  I had forgotten just how nicely this thing flies! 

July 11th, 2018, 12:51 pm #458

Hi Thunker,
It has been a while since I've visited the blowgun form but I still have a semi permanent "range" set up that shoots from my dining room across the front hallway into the living room where the couch holds my target box......But I also have gotten into RC flying, mostly quadcopters but I do have a fixed wing plane too.  I gotta say your videos are EXCELLENT and enjoyable to watch.  Could you please share the cameras used?  It looks like you use an onboard camera and what looks like a visor camera too.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Bob C. (pelletor)
https://imgur.com/5gbyLx5

thunker54
Addicted

July 11th, 2018, 3:55 pm #459

Pelletor...  Great to hear from you again!
Hey!  I have a Flyzone Calypso!  But I have it in storage right now.  It's a nice flying plane for sure - love having the ailerons on a sailplane!  My only issue with it was problems transporting it.  It would just barely fit in my Jeep Liberty without taking off the wings.  But once in the air it's a sweet airplane!
I've tried several quads. In fact I have a little Inductrix FPV mini-quad now.  But I'm in the minority - most guys I know that try quads just love them.  I've just always enjoyed the old line-of-sight fixed wing flying - so that's what I've pretty much whittled it down to for myself.  I have been kicking around maybe getting an RC truck to mess with - probably some type of crawler.   In the future I might give FPV another try on the truck.  That way if I get lost and shut it down it doesn't fall out of the sky!  ha!

The on-board cameras I'm currently using is the RunCam2 and the Mobius Mini.  Both shoot 1080p @ 60 FPS.  As I recall the RunCam2 is about 1.5 ounces and the Mini comes in right around 1 ounce.  They do have a new Mobius out now called the Mobius Maxi that shoots 2K video.  I have one coming in the mail right now.   But it's larger and heavier than the Mini.   Depending on how long you fly that sailplane, the limit of the Mini is mostly battery.  It only runs about 30 minutes on one charge.  My flights are mostly all less than 10 minutes so it's not an issue for me.  But flying my Radian sailplane - I could easily stay up for a good hour I'll bet.  The Mobius2 and Mobius Maxi both have larger, longer lasting batteries.  If you buy a Mobius, be sure you buy from a recommended dealer - as there are a number of folks selling bootleg copies out there.  You can find the list of recommended dealers in post #2 here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... erpage=100

As for my head camera - it's a Canon S120 that I've put on a GoPro style head band.  I made my own little adapter to fit a GoPro type mount.  That way I can adjust the tilt to get the framing right.  Once I found the "sweet spot" I marked it with a little marker so I could find it again should I take the camera off.  The S120 is discontinued now - so I'll have to look at another point 'n shoot type the next time I replace it.

Oh, BTW - in case you didn't know - I guess a lot of the hobby companies have been having a hard time.  DuBro went bottoms up I guess, but the last I heard Horizon Hobby was buying them and was going to continue producing DuBro gear.  And Futaba has been struggling too I hear.  I just upgraded to a Futaba 14SG radio and noticed Tower Hobbies had them listed as backordered.  I found one elsewhere - but just got an email yesterday that Futaba is getting back on its feet again and should be catching up with back orders now. 

Enjoy that quad!  Got a camera and gimbal setup on it (yet?)  lol.....

thunker54
Addicted

July 11th, 2018, 9:12 pm #460

This is crazy.   Full scale heli passing by sees a RC pilot crash his model P-51 in a tree and goes down for a rescue.  
Language alert!   But what are the odds?  And, unlike what the heli pilot says about $800, it was probably more like $300 he saved the RC guy....