Bloody Jack

Lieutenant Tweepark
Vice Admiral of the Red
Lieutenant Tweepark
Vice Admiral of the Red

Aug 3 2007, 11:54 PM #1

So here is the discussion about Bloody Jack, the book that got most of us started. You can view the earlier discussion here.

Most of recent discussion was about Mr. Meyer's teaser, which can be seen here, about halfway down the page.
"I have as much soul as you⎯and full as much heart!"

Elaine is my hero.
[color=FFA500]Member of the Grammar Police[/color]

Cappy-tan A. Kidd
Rear Admiral of the Red
Cappy-tan A. Kidd
Rear Admiral of the Red

Aug 4 2007, 12:53 AM #2

ok. during work i always have a lot of time to think (especially when i don't get break like everyone else) and i was thinking about how quickly Jacky dropped her cockney accent. I know Tilly made her, but it seems like that old habit should die hard...

Xx_Irish_Pirate_xX
Admiral of the Fleet
Xx_Irish_Pirate_xX
Admiral of the Fleet

Aug 4 2007, 01:02 AM #3

But she didn't even get the accent until she was orphaned. Before then, she talked properly. I think it wasn't so much as dropping the accent as reverting back to her old way of speaking.

AMAZING av and sig courtesy of the illustrious Elaine.

Jackaroe
Admiral of the Fleet
Jackaroe
Admiral of the Fleet

Aug 4 2007, 02:29 AM #4

Whoa, wait a minute.

Tilly tried to make her to do without her cockney accent? Really? I don't recall this.

:blink:

Did he really do that?

Lieutenant Tweepark
Vice Admiral of the Red
Lieutenant Tweepark
Vice Admiral of the Red

Aug 4 2007, 02:00 PM #5

Yeah. When she was working around the mids, Tilly told her she should work on her way of speaking.

And I agree with Irish; her mum was a "lady," as she is so apt to remind anyone who puts her down, and her father was a scholar, so in all likelihood, Jacky spoke properly prior to That Dark Day. She probably picked up the Cockney way of speaking with the gang because they probably looked at her funny when she spoke all proper-like. And since she spoke like that for about four years, it became natural. And then she had to drop it.

But since she did a lot of growing up during those years with Rooster Charlie, it would make sense that the Cockney is her fallback--she was eight at the time of That Dark Day (or thereabouts) and learned to speak like an urchin and did so for the next four years (or so). So when she's mad or distressed she falls back to the Cockney--like Clarissa and her real Southern accent.
"I have as much soul as you⎯and full as much heart!"

Elaine is my hero.
[color=FFA500]Member of the Grammar Police[/color]

Mary
Vice Admiral of the Red
Mary
Vice Admiral of the Red

Aug 4 2007, 04:02 PM #6

Yeah and later in Bloody Jack, she improved, but she still used some small incorrect ways of specking. She would use 'me' instead of 'my.'

And she was obviously brought up in that proper family, because on the second page of the book, when she's kicked out on the street. The gang comes and strips her of her clothes saying things like.
"Ain't she a fine one, then-she's got drawers, even!"
"Look at me, says the girl what stole me clothes. "I'm ready for the bleedin' Derby, I am!"
So, she may have lived in cheapside, but it doesn't mean her family was cheap. :cool: :lol:

Cappy-tan A. Kidd
Rear Admiral of the Red
Cappy-tan A. Kidd
Rear Admiral of the Red

Aug 4 2007, 04:24 PM #7

i was flipping through the books again, and i just realized that she learned to talk all cockney. so it wasn't her first language at all.

Robin
Master & Commander
Robin
Master & Commander

Aug 11 2007, 09:27 PM #8

Mr. Meyer's got talent, writing stuff down like that. I'd get so pissed at the WordProcessor that it keeps underlining misspelled stuff, I probably wouldn't finish. :P

I love when all the Brotherhood is talking about Jesus and tattoos. Reverend Tink... Haha.
Captain Of The South China Sea
Forum Family
[Wife- admiralamy/Kelso] [Mother- Mary] [Daughters- jacks_queen, HillieBillie/Willy, JF+JF, Puss in Boots/Pibs, Mira] [Sister- Wild Irish Rose/Rosie Posie, Jadefire/Adefir (Twin)] [Grandmother - Jackaroe/Laine] [Sister-in-law - Gretchen/Chancy]

Xx_Irish_Pirate_xX
Admiral of the Fleet
Xx_Irish_Pirate_xX
Admiral of the Fleet

Aug 11 2007, 10:11 PM #9

For some reason, when I was at the movies today the quote:
"I do think his mum would object."
(Or something of that sort) popped into my head.

AMAZING av and sig courtesy of the illustrious Elaine.

Noraoe
Master & Commander
Noraoe
Master & Commander

Dec 30 2007, 04:03 AM #10

I agree with Robin. I stink at spelling any ways. Is any ways one word or two? I honestly don't know. I can get a strait a average but i can't pass a spelling test. Whoa getting of topic! Was that quote actually in the book? I don't remember it.
"I will only say, Bless you, Sir, and Bless all the lords and Bless all the ladies in this land and Bless you, too, Lord Grenville, and Bless the horse that brought you here, and Bless all the Generals and all the Admirals, yes, Bless them all and Bless them so hard they'll never forget. Finally, oh yes, finally, Bless the Bloody Blessed King!"

Jacky Faber101
Master & Commander
Jacky Faber101
Master & Commander

Jan 2 2008, 11:54 PM #11

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Why is there so little on this book one, and there is so many on all the other books?
:huh: :shrug: :lawlz:
[url=http://[url=http://[url=http://[url=http://

Pirattica
Captain

Jan 4 2008, 10:43 PM #12

Why is there so little on this book oh well. I think taht the first is still my favorite. I have read all the ones so I guess it is my favorite.

Forum Family Mom-Lenora the Great Dad- Ewan Mcgregor Sisters-dancingtwilightxox,Pixie girl, Noraoe Husband-Jacob Black Dughters-Makiah_P, bengylover Granddaughter- Mer~Maiden
Lovers- Damian McGinty, Riley Poole, Jasper Hale, and Taylor Lautner

JackyFaber
Lieutenant
JackyFaber
Lieutenant

Feb 17 2008, 03:19 AM #13

To keep this thread going - whats your favorate part of the book? I personally loved reading the part when they were at port in Kingston and Jacky and Jaimy had basically their first date. It was soo cute to read that they were walking down the streets and holding hands...and yes Jay-meee 'e ees most wonderful boy, yes, I theeenk I lof heem! :P

Lenora the Great
Rear Admiral of the White
Lenora the Great
Rear Admiral of the White

Feb 17 2008, 04:35 AM #14

:rofl: :lawlz: i love that part!
so funny.
and i love when they're talking about jesus and stuff
you know, jacky's ideas on religion are very interesting, actually....

1995 is missing buses
It's walking 15 miles to see your love
It's knowing you're alive through all the fuzz
It's never coming down from going up
When morning opens up the skies
You see me when daylight opens up your eye

howcuteisshe
Midshipman
howcuteisshe
Midshipman

Mar 23 2008, 09:10 PM #15

Hi I just read the first book. Its great!! I love Jacky's character. :)
Shipper of:
Ron/Hermione (HP)
Bella/Jacob (Twilight)
Jasper/Alice (Twilight)
Jacky/Jaimy (BJ)
Rachel/Tobias (Animorphs)

the name's rachel...

college girl. heads off to college on the 31st. & probably won't be on the boards much
:(