Where`s the heart of the club

Where`s the heart of the club

stamford blade
stamford blade

March 29th, 2010, 6:12 pm #1

Lots of people on this site have been going down to BDTBL for decades (more than 5 decades in my case) and see the Club as a major ongoing part of their lives despite the fact that the team regularly changes, managers come and go, boards change etc. So whats the continuous bit? What`s the thread that makes SUFC such an ongoing part of our lives and makes our support usually outlive the rotation of individuals?
For my part, I think its a strong identification with the city (or more specifically with our part of the city), its memory, it`s routine and hope but I also think its a loyalty to a club which we need to think is loyal to us. This last bit`s vital. We love Morgan because he`s a blade and the same goes for lots of people from Cec Coldwell to Alan Woodward, through to Warnock and McCabe (when we all loved him). Not necessarily people who were born in the area but people who take the club seriously, take the trouble to commit to the area, maybe have their kids at school here.
With some very honourable exceptions in the backroom staff, it appears we`re currently very short of people who have a loyalty to us, the fans, the support base of the Club. We have players living in hotels or driving from distance with no deep down (or even skin deep!)identification. We have people who want to be liked by us but very few who are committed. So why should we be committed to them?
I think Blackwell`s been dealt a bad hand this year (but I personally think he lost it for good with his post Wembley interview.) I am sure McCabe`s not indifferent to the state of the club but he needs to tell us why we should continue with our support other than through habit. We can`t live on scraps, journeymen and waifs and stray players who can`t spell "Sheffield". If things are as bad as we all think they are, we need to be told. It may be McCabe`s money but it`s our club in the long term. Despite what McCabe might sometimes think, we`re not stupid and if we have to rebuild from the bottom, it is the hight of arrogance not to tell us.
We need to know and I think we need to know now before everyone drifts off into the summer. Who`s going to be the person to lead us out of the wilderness? Which players are going to commit to us so that we can commit to them. Who`s going to be the heart of the club alongside us?

bladeinthesouth
bladeinthesouth

March 29th, 2010, 6:28 pm #2

Totally agree with that.

March 29th, 2010, 6:38 pm #3

Lots of people on this site have been going down to BDTBL for decades (more than 5 decades in my case) and see the Club as a major ongoing part of their lives despite the fact that the team regularly changes, managers come and go, boards change etc. So whats the continuous bit? What`s the thread that makes SUFC such an ongoing part of our lives and makes our support usually outlive the rotation of individuals?
For my part, I think its a strong identification with the city (or more specifically with our part of the city), its memory, it`s routine and hope but I also think its a loyalty to a club which we need to think is loyal to us. This last bit`s vital. We love Morgan because he`s a blade and the same goes for lots of people from Cec Coldwell to Alan Woodward, through to Warnock and McCabe (when we all loved him). Not necessarily people who were born in the area but people who take the club seriously, take the trouble to commit to the area, maybe have their kids at school here.
With some very honourable exceptions in the backroom staff, it appears we`re currently very short of people who have a loyalty to us, the fans, the support base of the Club. We have players living in hotels or driving from distance with no deep down (or even skin deep!)identification. We have people who want to be liked by us but very few who are committed. So why should we be committed to them?
I think Blackwell`s been dealt a bad hand this year (but I personally think he lost it for good with his post Wembley interview.) I am sure McCabe`s not indifferent to the state of the club but he needs to tell us why we should continue with our support other than through habit. We can`t live on scraps, journeymen and waifs and stray players who can`t spell "Sheffield". If things are as bad as we all think they are, we need to be told. It may be McCabe`s money but it`s our club in the long term. Despite what McCabe might sometimes think, we`re not stupid and if we have to rebuild from the bottom, it is the hight of arrogance not to tell us.
We need to know and I think we need to know now before everyone drifts off into the summer. Who`s going to be the person to lead us out of the wilderness? Which players are going to commit to us so that we can commit to them. Who`s going to be the heart of the club alongside us?
Good post Stamford, and I can agree with you. It seems to me that we, the supporter, have had body blow after body blow for the last four seasons from relegation in desperate circumstances, the Tevez thing, Robson, Wembley defeat, loss of heroes like Beatiie and the two Kyles. It was all supposed to be so different and its a lot to get over. No wonder that we have lost touch with the club a bit, and the club has lost touch with us.

I find it hard to blame Blackwell too much. He's been working with both hands tied behind his back, and whatever lessons he appeared to learn from last season, (he acquired the kind of players we all wanted, as well as a few we didn't), we just haven't had any kind of settled team. Funny that people still call us hoofball, and berate his 'style'. I know it came to nothing yesterday, but we played some nice stuff, neat triangles and forward balls. We could easily have had a couple before they had their first sniff (given away by a terrible back header) and didn't look in any real trouble up to the goal. Such are the fine margins in this league. In the end, 12 different centre half pairings, four different keepers tells its own tale. How can we get any kind of consistancy?

It is time, as it has been for some months now, for some visible direction from Chairman and Board. I don't know if the feelings against Blackwell are running too high for them to be calmed again. He clearly feels up for the fight, but that supposes that the board are willing to let him. Still, if he does move on, I doubt that the next messiah will have it any easier...

March 29th, 2010, 8:11 pm #4

Of course Blackie's up for the fight, they'll be a nice earner for him again if we stay up and he slashes the wage bill.

£2M off wage bill=£150K bonus for Blackie=good business for McC.

I'm still convinced that Chedwyn is being paid not to score to reduce the amount of money we have to shell out for him.

March 29th, 2010, 8:14 pm #5

Good post Stamford, and I can agree with you. It seems to me that we, the supporter, have had body blow after body blow for the last four seasons from relegation in desperate circumstances, the Tevez thing, Robson, Wembley defeat, loss of heroes like Beatiie and the two Kyles. It was all supposed to be so different and its a lot to get over. No wonder that we have lost touch with the club a bit, and the club has lost touch with us.

I find it hard to blame Blackwell too much. He's been working with both hands tied behind his back, and whatever lessons he appeared to learn from last season, (he acquired the kind of players we all wanted, as well as a few we didn't), we just haven't had any kind of settled team. Funny that people still call us hoofball, and berate his 'style'. I know it came to nothing yesterday, but we played some nice stuff, neat triangles and forward balls. We could easily have had a couple before they had their first sniff (given away by a terrible back header) and didn't look in any real trouble up to the goal. Such are the fine margins in this league. In the end, 12 different centre half pairings, four different keepers tells its own tale. How can we get any kind of consistancy?

It is time, as it has been for some months now, for some visible direction from Chairman and Board. I don't know if the feelings against Blackwell are running too high for them to be calmed again. He clearly feels up for the fight, but that supposes that the board are willing to let him. Still, if he does move on, I doubt that the next messiah will have it any easier...
I agree with most of what you say DD but you really need to 'get real' with regard to Blackwell. Yes it is easy to blame the manager but this season it has mostly been hoofball at the Lane. Agreed that yesterday we did play a little bit of football but we weren't exactly playing Chelsea now were we. It is often hard to admit it to oneself but for the majority of this season and a large proportion of last season football has largely been absent at the Lane. There seems to be one or two people you can blame for that but generally speaking I am led to believe that the manager is the one who chooses the style of football and the tactics. Blackwell therefore might have had his hands tied behind his back but teams like Donnie are operating on less than a quarter of our budget and are managing to entertain their fans I do believe.

It is actually time for the fans to Unite and hope to either change the manager's mind and persuade him to play football - highly unlikely in my opinion - or get the board to appoint a new manager before we begin next season in the same fashion as we have played this season.

PS. The reason that we have had four different keepers is that he has signed two that he hasn't even used (perhaps they aren't good enough but Blackwell should know having been a keeper himself shouldn't he). And one of the reasons for our defensive instability is that one defender he signed over the summer was immediately sold (Bromby) and the two others that he signed (Stewart and Taylor) simply aren't good enough for League One let alone the Championship. Blackwell is the architect of his own problems this season. Why so many people still give him the benefit of the doubt is beyond comprehension particularly when those same people couldn't wait to jump on Warnock's back when he made similar errors of judgement.

a gallon of magnet
a gallon of magnet

March 29th, 2010, 9:02 pm #6

Of course Blackie's up for the fight, they'll be a nice earner for him again if we stay up and he slashes the wage bill.

£2M off wage bill=£150K bonus for Blackie=good business for McC.

I'm still convinced that Chedwyn is being paid not to score to reduce the amount of money we have to shell out for him.
"I'm still convinced that Chedwyn is being paid not to score to reduce the amount of money we have to shell out for him."

Sadly, highly unlikely. A more realistic explanation in that he's simply bobbins. Expensive bobbins at that.

UTB

March 30th, 2010, 5:25 am #7

I agree with most of what you say DD but you really need to 'get real' with regard to Blackwell. Yes it is easy to blame the manager but this season it has mostly been hoofball at the Lane. Agreed that yesterday we did play a little bit of football but we weren't exactly playing Chelsea now were we. It is often hard to admit it to oneself but for the majority of this season and a large proportion of last season football has largely been absent at the Lane. There seems to be one or two people you can blame for that but generally speaking I am led to believe that the manager is the one who chooses the style of football and the tactics. Blackwell therefore might have had his hands tied behind his back but teams like Donnie are operating on less than a quarter of our budget and are managing to entertain their fans I do believe.

It is actually time for the fans to Unite and hope to either change the manager's mind and persuade him to play football - highly unlikely in my opinion - or get the board to appoint a new manager before we begin next season in the same fashion as we have played this season.

PS. The reason that we have had four different keepers is that he has signed two that he hasn't even used (perhaps they aren't good enough but Blackwell should know having been a keeper himself shouldn't he). And one of the reasons for our defensive instability is that one defender he signed over the summer was immediately sold (Bromby) and the two others that he signed (Stewart and Taylor) simply aren't good enough for League One let alone the Championship. Blackwell is the architect of his own problems this season. Why so many people still give him the benefit of the doubt is beyond comprehension particularly when those same people couldn't wait to jump on Warnock's back when he made similar errors of judgement.
You may be right Udders, but there is a distinct lack of football in the CCC all-together. I cant remember seeing a really decent passing game all year no matter who the teams are. Most of them, Newcastle included, play into channels and have the full backs launch it for the big guy up front. Donny is an exception, albeit an interesting one for the success they are enjoying this year. Maybe you can get out of the division playing nice football, who knows?

Your Chelsea comment. You can only play whats in front of you, and the bit that seems to get forgotten is the other team are also trying to get something out of the game. Its not just about picking 'our style' and steamrollering them. Scunny shouldn't have had any kind of sniff before half time, yet we gifted them one and nearly gifted another on bad defensive mistakes.

As for Blackwell, I do think some of the criticism has been very harsh, but in the end, as I've said before, 'We didn't hire him, so we can't fire him', its a decision for the board, and therefore not worth getting worked up over. People will vote with their feet if they feel strongly enough, and I can't blame them.

The parallels with Robsons team vs. S****horpe were plain to feel from the stands, but in the end, whatever manager/messiah we have next will have supporters and detractors, often for illogical or irrelevant reasons (Don't like his hair/accent/trousers...). What I am sure about is the club is allowing a vacuum to develop by lack of visible leadership and direction, and so we the supporters are deciding where we want the club to go instead. Its a dangerous time, as what we decide we all want (passing football and youngsters from the academy for example) may be a long way from what the board are going to give us, but here it is.

Good job its only football...UTB...

Mall
Mall

March 30th, 2010, 9:20 am #8

Good post Huddersfield, and one with which I find myself agreeing 100%.
Having been away for 20 years (geographically) this is the first full one I have experienced since the Basset days.
I can take backs to the wall, outplayed, out resourced, out talented etc....But only in the Premier.
Not in this division.
To see teams like Doncaster, Blackpool and at times s****horpe pass the ball more cohesively and shrewdly than us is ludicrous, given their lack of re sources.
It's down to the manager when that happens....it always is. For Blackwell to want a high tempo game at this level with these players is a stupid call. Only teams at the top of the Premier can do that since they have athleticism and skill to spare. At this level it can only mean mistakes with control and movement...of which there is very little anyway.
Yes, against S****horpe there was some early promise, particularly through an impressive Quinn but it faded as we new it might and scrappy play ensued.
First touch amongst several players, notably Henderson is abysmal and Blackwell is the architect, and to realise that he has been around Europe's top clubs looking at training methods is beyond belief.

silver_blade
silver_blade

March 30th, 2010, 9:22 am #9

Completely agree with you on that Stamford.

March 30th, 2010, 9:36 am #10

You may be right Udders, but there is a distinct lack of football in the CCC all-together. I cant remember seeing a really decent passing game all year no matter who the teams are. Most of them, Newcastle included, play into channels and have the full backs launch it for the big guy up front. Donny is an exception, albeit an interesting one for the success they are enjoying this year. Maybe you can get out of the division playing nice football, who knows?

Your Chelsea comment. You can only play whats in front of you, and the bit that seems to get forgotten is the other team are also trying to get something out of the game. Its not just about picking 'our style' and steamrollering them. Scunny shouldn't have had any kind of sniff before half time, yet we gifted them one and nearly gifted another on bad defensive mistakes.

As for Blackwell, I do think some of the criticism has been very harsh, but in the end, as I've said before, 'We didn't hire him, so we can't fire him', its a decision for the board, and therefore not worth getting worked up over. People will vote with their feet if they feel strongly enough, and I can't blame them.

The parallels with Robsons team vs. S****horpe were plain to feel from the stands, but in the end, whatever manager/messiah we have next will have supporters and detractors, often for illogical or irrelevant reasons (Don't like his hair/accent/trousers...). What I am sure about is the club is allowing a vacuum to develop by lack of visible leadership and direction, and so we the supporters are deciding where we want the club to go instead. Its a dangerous time, as what we decide we all want (passing football and youngsters from the academy for example) may be a long way from what the board are going to give us, but here it is.

Good job its only football...UTB...
DD - the thing that still mystifies me about the board is why on earth did they give Blackwell so a long contract when there was no need. He came in after Robbo was sacked and admittedly did a very good job that first half of season and we were all relieved when it appeared that someone who knew the club had taken the helm. However, since then he has changed from being someone who was grateful to be given a chance at a club like United and who was liked by the fans to an arrogant, smug and extremely dislikeable man. My postman is a Barnsley fan and ever since Blackwell arrived at SUFC he has being saying to me 'I can't stand your manager - he comes across terribly on the radio. I'd rather listen to Warnock than him'. At first I would argue with him but this last few months I find myself agreeing with him. Every time I hear Blackie being interviewed now I cringe.

The fact remains that a good football manager should be able to use whatever resources he has at his disposal to get the very best out of the players and play a system that best suits them. This manager was able to do that when he was using Robbo/Warnock's players but as the team has become more and more his own assembly - well it has shown him up to be clueless.