Untitled

Bladesmum
Bladesmum

June 24th, 2012, 8:37 pm #1

Are England Sheff Utd in disguise?

Duncan Disorderly
Duncan Disorderly

June 25th, 2012, 5:06 am #2

The parallels struck me too BladesMum. Under-achieving, bizarre bad luck, can't get over the final hurdle etc etc. Strange isn't it?

June 25th, 2012, 7:50 am #3

Last night, watching the game on TV, was three wasted hours of my life that I won't get back....

Why is it that we pay our so-called 'stars' millions, but they can't do the basics such as controlling a ball and passing it to a team mate?

June 25th, 2012, 8:55 am #4

Quite simply, Roger, it is because they are not stars. They may have been told they are stars and believe it. Most of them are very averagely talented footballers. They don't lack commitment or attitude but our players lack technical skill and the simple ability to pass the ball accurately. I cannot see a young extremely talented "star" on the horizon. The future is not looking so bright at International level.

granthamblades
granthamblades

June 25th, 2012, 1:31 pm #5

Some very wise words Alpine and I can only agree the future looks less than rosy in terms of ever having a successful England team. In many ways our players accurately reflect the British nation of today,certainly multicultural and,showing in the main commitment and attitude,but are left wanting in technical skills.We have a long way to go in English football before we are up to the standards of some of our European neighbours.

UTB.

June 25th, 2012, 6:38 pm #6

Interesting view point and you are not alone in your view.
I received a text from my daughter during the game(we are away on holiday at present)saying that England reminded her of watching the Blades.
Plenty of passion and committment, but that is not enough to win games against more creative players.
The penalty shootout confirmed her thoughts.
UTB

June 25th, 2012, 6:42 pm #7

Some very wise words Alpine and I can only agree the future looks less than rosy in terms of ever having a successful England team. In many ways our players accurately reflect the British nation of today,certainly multicultural and,showing in the main commitment and attitude,but are left wanting in technical skills.We have a long way to go in English football before we are up to the standards of some of our European neighbours.

UTB.
I still maintain my view that we have far to many overseas players in the premiership,which restricts our younger players opportunities.
While they make the game more exciting it does leave our players somewhat exposed when on the international stage.
Imho we did not have one world class player on display last night.
UTB

oldblade
oldblade

June 25th, 2012, 8:29 pm #8

No, because we have been known to win quite a few penalty shoot outs in cup competitions!

Kiwi Blade
Kiwi Blade

June 25th, 2012, 10:21 pm #9

Quite simply, Roger, it is because they are not stars. They may have been told they are stars and believe it. Most of them are very averagely talented footballers. They don't lack commitment or attitude but our players lack technical skill and the simple ability to pass the ball accurately. I cannot see a young extremely talented "star" on the horizon. The future is not looking so bright at International level.
Alpine, the so called "Stars" are not fit to lace your father's boots.