Unlucky

Unlucky

November 11th, 2010, 9:01 am #1

I feel a bit more optimistic about last night. We scored 2 goals. Reid is obviously a good player. We almost beat a team that has a number of players we'd be delighted to sign. And if we had won we would have been 6 points off the playoffs - which must show how incredibly rubbish the league must be this year.

On the downside, when was the last time a forward scored? and what happens if Reid goes back/gets injured?

We are still in deep do-does, but I hope the players take a bit of heart and confidence from last night.

November 11th, 2010, 9:11 am #2

I was absolutely gutted when the score came through in the pub over here especially as Sky reckoned it was a harsh one. I hope we don't need those 2 points come the end of the season! Fell better about it this morning having read several reports, sounds like Bartley and Reid were the key players. Keep going Blades, bring us 3 points back from Millwall.

November 11th, 2010, 5:06 pm #3

Some one said to me recently that since we won our case re the Tevez affair we hardly seem to get a penalty given to us.
The implications of that statement are self explanatory and it is difficult to even contemplate the thought that there is a conspiracy against, as for it to be workable beggars belief in my opinion.
However after last nights reported actions by the referee in given a debatable penalty to Leicester in the 92nd minute, has to make one think.
Perhaps we are just an unlucky club but looking at events since the Tevez saga one just wonders.
Still cannot accept that there is one but would be interested on other viewpoints.
After last nights improved showing with Reid being involved and 2 goals away from home,will we see a win at Millwall on Saturday.
UTB

Duncan Disorderly
Duncan Disorderly

November 11th, 2010, 5:26 pm #4

Its not rubbish players, or rubbish manager. Its confidence. We are good enough to be a mid-table even upper mid table side. What Reid has shown is what we're missing in terms of playing instead of running scared. I think we've got him for four more games. It will be nice if we can have recovered some of our form before he goes back, and hopefully we can get him back at BDTBL again in January...

granthamblades
granthamblades

November 11th, 2010, 7:23 pm #5

Some one said to me recently that since we won our case re the Tevez affair we hardly seem to get a penalty given to us.
The implications of that statement are self explanatory and it is difficult to even contemplate the thought that there is a conspiracy against, as for it to be workable beggars belief in my opinion.
However after last nights reported actions by the referee in given a debatable penalty to Leicester in the 92nd minute, has to make one think.
Perhaps we are just an unlucky club but looking at events since the Tevez saga one just wonders.
Still cannot accept that there is one but would be interested on other viewpoints.
After last nights improved showing with Reid being involved and 2 goals away from home,will we see a win at Millwall on Saturday.
UTB
Kent, I have previously posted similar sentiments to the one you outline and it is becoming difficult to dismiss the idea that many refs who come to BDTBL usually prefer the other team, and it is difficult for us, the home supporters, to accept it.On the other hand, when you speak to fans from other clubs, they usually voice similar sentiments.But even Speed has spoken on this subject and he feels, as far as I can recall ,that because we have been seen as a physical type of a football team, referees are cautious of us and have preconceived ideas about us. If this is a fact then it is not all that difficult to believe that individually and collectively many referees have it in for us and in that sense you could call it a conspiracy.
But I find it difficult to take these notions any further because it is hard to see where or how it could be orchestrated centrally .
No doubt there are many bitter people down at WHU who will always have a down on out team,and although we eventually won the case, we did not carry the day with a majority of football supporters up and down the country.But Wets Ham have got a Knight of the realm who seems to pull a few punches on their behalf,but surely his powers, or his inclinations, do not extend to fixing things to our disadvantage.
In relation to the powers that be at the FA, Mr McCabe is still not, or ever will be their favorite son because of the Teves case.But I do sense because of this situation, that if we were getting a raw deal they would do absolutely nothing to put things right.
The debate about corruption in sport in general and about football in particular, is becoming more acceptable to our ears recently, and it is likely to continue to exercise our minds ,and those in power even more so in the future.
While I was writing this post I have just watched recorded highlights of the Leicester match on East Midlands Today {the local news],and all I can say the ref made a diabolical decision that gifted to Leicester one point and robbed us of three.His decision is typical of how the odds are stacked against us.

UTB.

November 11th, 2010, 7:39 pm #6

Its not rubbish players, or rubbish manager. Its confidence. We are good enough to be a mid-table even upper mid table side. What Reid has shown is what we're missing in terms of playing instead of running scared. I think we've got him for four more games. It will be nice if we can have recovered some of our form before he goes back, and hopefully we can get him back at BDTBL again in January...
I agree. I've been banging on about confidence (or lack of) for weeks.
I followed the game on Radio Sheffield, and it seems that Reid brought other players into the game and got them performing better. Yeates obviously, but Quinny also seemed to be doing well. Let's hope he can get Ward back to full speed and Evans to something like his potential.

Every team needs a playmaker. We've lacked one since Michael Brown.

bedfordblade
bedfordblade

November 11th, 2010, 7:43 pm #7

Kent, I have previously posted similar sentiments to the one you outline and it is becoming difficult to dismiss the idea that many refs who come to BDTBL usually prefer the other team, and it is difficult for us, the home supporters, to accept it.On the other hand, when you speak to fans from other clubs, they usually voice similar sentiments.But even Speed has spoken on this subject and he feels, as far as I can recall ,that because we have been seen as a physical type of a football team, referees are cautious of us and have preconceived ideas about us. If this is a fact then it is not all that difficult to believe that individually and collectively many referees have it in for us and in that sense you could call it a conspiracy.
But I find it difficult to take these notions any further because it is hard to see where or how it could be orchestrated centrally .
No doubt there are many bitter people down at WHU who will always have a down on out team,and although we eventually won the case, we did not carry the day with a majority of football supporters up and down the country.But Wets Ham have got a Knight of the realm who seems to pull a few punches on their behalf,but surely his powers, or his inclinations, do not extend to fixing things to our disadvantage.
In relation to the powers that be at the FA, Mr McCabe is still not, or ever will be their favorite son because of the Teves case.But I do sense because of this situation, that if we were getting a raw deal they would do absolutely nothing to put things right.
The debate about corruption in sport in general and about football in particular, is becoming more acceptable to our ears recently, and it is likely to continue to exercise our minds ,and those in power even more so in the future.
While I was writing this post I have just watched recorded highlights of the Leicester match on East Midlands Today {the local news],and all I can say the ref made a diabolical decision that gifted to Leicester one point and robbed us of three.His decision is typical of how the odds are stacked against us.

UTB.

A reninder--our match v QPR. Ward was flattened in the penalty area. No pen said the ref. QPR went straight up the field and scored. They scored two more and still in the first half, Ched was totally taken out in the box. No pen said the ref. Even Warnock could not believe it.
but the ref. has all the power.

November 11th, 2010, 7:49 pm #8

UTB.

Obviously one can only guess what was going on in the ref's mind.

There is a tendency for refs to slightly favour the home side, subconsciously (unless, it seems they are at Bramall Lane!). It's difficult to be totally objective when the home crowd are screaming at you for 90 minutes, as well as the players. I read somewhere that this ref was inexperienced. I don't know if that is correct, but it may have been a factor.

Maybe he was also a bit star-struck by having Sven on the sidelines. Perhaps he felt that Leicester deserved something and took the chance to even things up a little. Better not incur the wrath of Sven, etc. - send both teams home with a point.

Stranger things have happened.

November 11th, 2010, 8:08 pm #9

UTB.

Very interesting comments Grantham and I am in total agreement with you.
Of course as you rightly point out we tend only to see it from our teams point of view, but surely my memory is not failing me when I say I am sure that in my younger days we did not have all these controversial decision or did we?
Is it something to do with TV replays,the game much faster or just that the refs were better before.
As a club very little seems to be going right,surely it cannot be possible for every one to act against the club.
UTB

November 11th, 2010, 8:13 pm #10

A reninder--our match v QPR. Ward was flattened in the penalty area. No pen said the ref. QPR went straight up the field and scored. They scored two more and still in the first half, Ched was totally taken out in the box. No pen said the ref. Even Warnock could not believe it.
but the ref. has all the power.
Yes remember that as well Bedford as I was behind the dug out and when Evans went down all the bench including Blackie expected a penalty.
That was when a lineswoman ran the line on the south stand side down to the kop and Blackwell kept asking her if she knew the rules of the game.
Totally ignored him and just kept giving bad devisions.
UTB