The Hotel

The Hotel

NorwichBladesman
NorwichBladesman

November 26th, 2010, 7:12 pm #1

McCabe must be rubbing his hands together with glee on the prospect of another property deal making him money.
We fans should have supported the hotel as in its first full year's trading has made a profit and in a recession as well. What will it make when the country comes out of recession!!! Businesses very rarely make profits in the first year as they have large set up costs...rides these and success follows. Patient is not a Blade's fan virtue and we'll have lost out as a result.
Would have been a nice a little earner for us in a couple of years and would probably have helped finance players wages!!
As it stands now McCabe will get all the profits.

Duncan Disorderly
Duncan Disorderly

November 26th, 2010, 9:10 pm #2

Yes. Kev McCabe has moved an asset and its associated debt (mortgage) from one of the businesses he owns to another business that he owns.

How on earth can the man sleep at night..?

FRWL
FRWL

November 27th, 2010, 9:56 am #3

Cmon Dunc the point is that the hotel capitalised on the Lane and was sold to the fans as a sensible investment to diversify income streams etc etc. And in the results announcements it makes out that the club has taken a prudent move to realise an asset and that somehow Scarborough has done us a favour.

Thats just twaddle isnt it. It hasnt benefited the club. It has benefitted Scarborough. And it has been 'sold' (ie given away for a writedown of a soft loan) at the bottom of the market to the chairman's company.

Yes, he owns the club,and he can put in and take out as much as he feels like. I bear no grudges for him turning the tap off - why should he be a charity? But its the dishonest presentation of it all - if he just came out and said 'I need some money and assets out so ive stopped funding the club and im taking the hotel', then at least it would be honest.

November 27th, 2010, 10:42 am #4

Well said. I think overall McCabe has done a very good job at BDTBL but it is the dishonesty that annoys. It all started with the sale of Mr Beattie and has continued since then. Think McCabe has probably done the right thing stepping down as the fans were starting to ask questions that perhaps he didn't want to answer.

Duncan Disorderly
Duncan Disorderly

November 27th, 2010, 1:42 pm #5

Cmon Dunc the point is that the hotel capitalised on the Lane and was sold to the fans as a sensible investment to diversify income streams etc etc. And in the results announcements it makes out that the club has taken a prudent move to realise an asset and that somehow Scarborough has done us a favour.

Thats just twaddle isnt it. It hasnt benefited the club. It has benefitted Scarborough. And it has been 'sold' (ie given away for a writedown of a soft loan) at the bottom of the market to the chairman's company.

Yes, he owns the club,and he can put in and take out as much as he feels like. I bear no grudges for him turning the tap off - why should he be a charity? But its the dishonest presentation of it all - if he just came out and said 'I need some money and assets out so ive stopped funding the club and im taking the hotel', then at least it would be honest.

I understand your point, but this isn't what he's done. There has been endless criticism of the hotel and the 'diversification' of the club into other revenue streams, but when that diversification appears to have ended due to the economic conditions that face us all, there is endless criticism again. Do people just want a feckin good moan?

He's retiring from the Chairmanship he took on as a temporary measure after Derek Dooley, he's getting on a bit now and will to leave the club in a state where it is self funding and debt free in 2 years time, producing talent through our own academy rather than buying in 30 something PL bench warmers. I really dont get the level and vitriol of the criticism that is aimed at him. He's got some stuff right. He's got some stuff wrong. Throughout, he has acted in the best interests of the club whether its been popular or not.

Now we get, on top of this, a disgraceful and deeply personal criticism of the new Chairman, his appearance, and the nature of his business, from people who dont know the first thing about his committment to United or his character. We are seriously miserable and shameful tvvats sometimes and frankly our own worst enemy...

UTB

alpine blade
alpine blade

November 27th, 2010, 1:58 pm #6

Well said, Dunc. Couldn't agree more. It will be interesting to see peoples' feelings when we get a so called "benefactor" move in to the chairmanship and ownership in the near future. A Mandaric or Hammam who is out simply to rape the club of as much as possible. McCabe in my opinion has been outstanding. I am just so sorry that Robson let him down at a time when he needed a manager to move the club forward.

November 27th, 2010, 2:41 pm #7

Totally agree Duncs and Alpine.
Sometimes one feels like giving up.
The negativity is untrue.
UTB

November 27th, 2010, 3:00 pm #8

I understand your point, but this isn't what he's done. There has been endless criticism of the hotel and the 'diversification' of the club into other revenue streams, but when that diversification appears to have ended due to the economic conditions that face us all, there is endless criticism again. Do people just want a feckin good moan?

He's retiring from the Chairmanship he took on as a temporary measure after Derek Dooley, he's getting on a bit now and will to leave the club in a state where it is self funding and debt free in 2 years time, producing talent through our own academy rather than buying in 30 something PL bench warmers. I really dont get the level and vitriol of the criticism that is aimed at him. He's got some stuff right. He's got some stuff wrong. Throughout, he has acted in the best interests of the club whether its been popular or not.

Now we get, on top of this, a disgraceful and deeply personal criticism of the new Chairman, his appearance, and the nature of his business, from people who dont know the first thing about his committment to United or his character. We are seriously miserable and shameful tvvats sometimes and frankly our own worst enemy...

UTB
McCabe has done his best and to slate the new chairman before he has even had a chance to prove himself is just wrong.
He is a Blade he is the new chairman just back him we have such a losing mentality to get rid of.

oldblade
oldblade

November 27th, 2010, 3:37 pm #9

UTB
Hear Hear!

November 27th, 2010, 5:43 pm #10

UTB
Dunc - no-one is hurling vitriol at McCabe. Since when did we live in North Korea? I thought we lived in a democracy and that it was ok to question people at the top. I think you will find when you remove your I Love Mr McCabe specs that he has made some bad decisions as Chairman as well as good but the poor ones he has made have actually cost us dearly, for example the sacking of Mr Warnock at the end of the relegation season when any chairman who didn't have much to spend would have singled out Warnock for being the best Champ manager to get us back up there. Yes Warnock made some errors as manager and we were free to question him. Why is it that it is ok to question Warnock's decisions but not McCabe's?

When you are a loyal fan of a club it is ok to ask where the money has gone and question the chairman on points such as why did he sell off our two best 'young' players when there was no need (the two Kyles). Look at our defence now.

This board is here for us all to be able to say how we feel and as a fan of SUFC for over 30 years and having seen other chairmen at BDTBL I can honestly say that McCabe has been much better than many but has still fallen massively short of turning SUFC into a club that can challenge any of the top clubs and in my view that is a failure and that failure has been partly caused by bad errors of judgement on his part. That said he was there when we got promoted and he has massively improved the infrastructure but its fur coat and no knickers down there and I think that phrase aptly describes Mr McCabe's tenure at the Lane.