Much better - a few thoughts

Much better - a few thoughts

August 28th, 2010, 8:20 pm #1

Although today was far from perfect, it was a massive improvement. It was actually a very enjoyable game to watch.

The main positives:

Passing
Patience
Not being afraid to try things, even if they failed
Team spirit
Effort

Things still to work on:

Lots of balls into the box/crosses overhit, or with no-one to get on the end of them
What are Ertl and Monty meant to be doing?

Performances:

Simonson 8 He is better, cleaner, more assured than he who must not be mentioned

Jordan 7 Solid, comfortable on the ball and moved around the pitch
Bartley 7 Still looks a bit panicky but looks class
Nos 6/7 Still a few comedy capers but a really good pro. A real asset to the team
Calve 8 A real attackign full back. Amazing goal

Monty 5/6 Looked a bit lost for what to actually do
Ertl 5 I saw only a lump today - I must be missing something
Brittain 8 Our best player. The playmaker we have been waiting for since 2003

Cresswell 5. Worked hard but looked well off it
Evans 5. Ditto
Ward 7. Our only classy striker, frightened opposition

Yeates 8. Excellent - a real winger. Should start
Lowton. 6 Solid - looks like he might become a really good defender in time

Deadbat
Deadbat

August 28th, 2010, 8:30 pm #2

Agree with most of your thoughts and comments.

Cannot agree with you abour Ertl though. Reading most of the reports/ratings on various sites, msot others also thought he did well too.

I felt he was excellent. One of our better players. He won the ball, then fed a red and white shirt. Nothing exciting, nothing stunning but mightily effective. He did what Monty can do only kept it afterwards. I felt he and Britton were very good and Monty was very poor. Did remind me of a Bob Booker type. He has been a far better foootballer than I remembered at Palace nor expected. I expected a big lump who just kicked people but he has shown he has more to his game.

August 28th, 2010, 8:44 pm #3

Thanks DB. Ill look harder. Maybe I was mixing him up with Cresswell!

A very encouraging afternoon. And I missed a positive - the crowd - great support for the new way of playing, even when it wasnt working.

the one real worry for me is that that was really a nil nil game with a freak goal. We need to work out how to turn all the nice play into good chances and attempts on goal.

btw nice report - have you ditched the narrative in favour of just the player ratings?

Deadbat
Deadbat

August 28th, 2010, 8:48 pm #4

No, report now up!!!

August 28th, 2010, 10:23 pm #5

Although today was far from perfect, it was a massive improvement. It was actually a very enjoyable game to watch.

The main positives:

Passing
Patience
Not being afraid to try things, even if they failed
Team spirit
Effort

Things still to work on:

Lots of balls into the box/crosses overhit, or with no-one to get on the end of them
What are Ertl and Monty meant to be doing?

Performances:

Simonson 8 He is better, cleaner, more assured than he who must not be mentioned

Jordan 7 Solid, comfortable on the ball and moved around the pitch
Bartley 7 Still looks a bit panicky but looks class
Nos 6/7 Still a few comedy capers but a really good pro. A real asset to the team
Calve 8 A real attackign full back. Amazing goal

Monty 5/6 Looked a bit lost for what to actually do
Ertl 5 I saw only a lump today - I must be missing something
Brittain 8 Our best player. The playmaker we have been waiting for since 2003

Cresswell 5. Worked hard but looked well off it
Evans 5. Ditto
Ward 7. Our only classy striker, frightened opposition

Yeates 8. Excellent - a real winger. Should start
Lowton. 6 Solid - looks like he might become a really good defender in time

Agree with most of what you say Sane but I thought Ertl got better as the game went on. It is also good to see someone with a bit of height in midfield.

Really enjoyed the game today. It was the first match I've been to as I was away for first home game. My expectations weren't high, particularly after watching the Middlesbrough game but I was pleasantly surprised and found myself actually enjoying watching the game for the first time in good knows how long. Well done Speedo for the improvements made in such a short space of time. The crowd were good as well today. Let's hope that this is a sign of things to come. It was so nice to see passing football instead of the hoofball antics of previous seasons.

My only concern is that we are lacking in the final third. Cressy and Evans aren't the men for the job unfortunately. All too often we put balls in the box and there was no one up there. If Speedo is able to bring in just one proven striker before the transfer window closes he will have the foundations of a really good team.

PS. What is all the note passing about? Did anyone else see Carver/Speed passing notes to the players when they came near the touchline?

Duncan Disorderly
Duncan Disorderly

August 29th, 2010, 6:25 am #6

"PS. What is all the note passing about? Did anyone else see Carver/Speed passing notes to the players when they came near the touchline?"

The one passed to Monty with 10mins to go said...

"As soon as we're done, get over to Man Fridays and pick up

12 Fish and chips
4 Chips and cake
2 Chicken Pie and Chips
1 Kebab, extra chilli sauce
3 Gravy
8 mushy peas
3 curry sauce
whatever you want...and don't forget a pickled egg for Sam"

bedfordblade
bedfordblade

August 29th, 2010, 9:20 am #7

No, report now up!!!
For me the new full backs plus Britton made the difference. Obviously Blackie recruited the full backs. There was a delay in playing them--one was injured and t'other there was complications re. contract.
Britton lying deeper worked well.
Only Ward up front was up to the job--so work needed there please Speedo
UTB

August 29th, 2010, 11:19 am #8

"PS. What is all the note passing about? Did anyone else see Carver/Speed passing notes to the players when they came near the touchline?"

The one passed to Monty with 10mins to go said...

"As soon as we're done, get over to Man Fridays and pick up

12 Fish and chips
4 Chips and cake
2 Chicken Pie and Chips
1 Kebab, extra chilli sauce
3 Gravy
8 mushy peas
3 curry sauce
whatever you want...and don't forget a pickled egg for Sam"

Who was on for the Kebab Dunc?

Duncan Disorderly
Duncan Disorderly

August 29th, 2010, 2:31 pm #9

Trev Birch...

August 29th, 2010, 5:51 pm #10

Good to see they didn't choose your local chippy Dunc ,it keeps your treasure safe!