Monty to return to action.

Monty to return to action.

September 20th, 2011, 11:41 am #1

It is reported that Montgomery is ready to return to the squad, probably in time for Saturday.
In view of the partnership between Doyle and McDonald working well,where do the regular visitors to the games suggest that Monty is accomodated in the team.
Should we change a winning team?
Interested to hear any views on this.
UTB

September 20th, 2011, 1:43 pm #2

I think Kent that it will depend on his level of fitness,and it might be that he is held in reserve warming the bench,to be introduced if things go against us.But if Danny Wilson is convinced he is back to full fitness I would not be surprised if he dropped Doyle to accommodate him.Montys defensive qualities are better than Doyles[imo],we are away from home and not conceding the first goal will be at the forefront of D.W.mind.

UTB

September 20th, 2011, 2:18 pm #3

Can fully understand your reasoning Grantham,which makes total sense to me.
Good that we have some options now in midfield.
When we get Morgan,Ertle and Taylor back from injury we have a reasonable squad , but no doubt some one else will get injured.
Still bothers me that McCabe might be tempted by a cheque or two being waved around in the January window for the likes of Quinn and Maguire.
If Danny can keep this squad together for the whole season we must have a good chance of promotion.
Wishful thinking as always.
UTB

September 20th, 2011, 2:38 pm #4

I take your point re McCabe and the allure of large cheques under his nose.But he also has a vested interest in the club returning to the Championship sooner rather than later.If therefore he wants to improve his chances of off loading us, he has a better chance if we are promoted.He well knows that if we stay in Division 3 for a long time ,the chances of him selling us diminish accordingly.My bet is he intends to hang on to our best players at least for now,and if we are still in the hunt for promotion after Xmas, he will back Danny Wilson to take us all the way,after all he picked D.W and he is his man,and so far he has done the business for him,and long may it continue.

UTB

bladeinthesouth
bladeinthesouth

September 20th, 2011, 7:38 pm #5

You have to hope that if the club is able to carry the squad as it is currently and perhaps brings in the fast striker to play alongside either Evans, Cressy or Porter, we should do alright.

It has been a magnificent effort from all involved at Sheffield United and we seem to be fighting back from the depression of last season. The club and McCabe took an awful lot of stick. That seems to have gone quiet but it feels like perhaps we have found the right guy to sort things out and get us back.

Its also very heartening to know that we have Morgan, Taylor and Ertl to return. These will feel like new signings. To see the improvement / change in Doyle, Collins and Cresswell says Wilson seems to have been a very good impression on our dressing room.

UTB

bedfordblade
bedfordblade

September 21st, 2011, 9:04 am #6

If Monty is fully fit then I would play him and tell him to score another wonder goal. Leeds will be looking to strengthen their squad, McCabe will want the money, expect monty to go in due course.

September 22nd, 2011, 7:07 pm #7

I take your point re McCabe and the allure of large cheques under his nose.But he also has a vested interest in the club returning to the Championship sooner rather than later.If therefore he wants to improve his chances of off loading us, he has a better chance if we are promoted.He well knows that if we stay in Division 3 for a long time ,the chances of him selling us diminish accordingly.My bet is he intends to hang on to our best players at least for now,and if we are still in the hunt for promotion after Xmas, he will back Danny Wilson to take us all the way,after all he picked D.W and he is his man,and so far he has done the business for him,and long may it continue.

UTB
Very logical reponse Grantham,and it makes 100% sense to me.
No one hopes more than me that you are right,it would be brilliant if we could both see them return to the premiership and enjoy a few seasons there.
However the economy is forecast to get worse next year, if that is possible,and football is a funny old business none more so than the Blades.
This is our best chance of getting back into the championship,by keeping this side together and with the right decision to appoint Danny Wilson, one would assume that Kevin McCabe will back him as he has stated that he would like more investment into the club.
It will never happen in this league, but despite being a successful business man some of his footballing decisions have sometimes been a bit unusual.
We must all hope that he has learnt from past mistakes.
Lets see what happens in the January window, but I still have reservations to be honest.
UTB