Lack of firepower

Lack of firepower

September 24th, 2011, 9:18 pm #1

What a total disappointment today as I was expecting a win, just shows how little I know.
Very disappointed with Porter and Williamson.
The game was there to be won and if we want to go up automatically, then we should be getting 3 points or the very minimum 1 point.
We need desparately a pacy winger and a frontman who can score.
We did look better when Creswell and Medez Laing came on.
Evans nearly broke the cross bar and then missed a guilt edged chance when it would have been easier to score.
Danny Wilson has totally changed the way we play from the horrors of last season,good to see the excellent passing being shown but we do need to strike.
I have to say that if Monty had played today,if he was fit enough,then imho we might have won.
Credit Wycombe for their game plan of containing us in the first half,and got a break just before half time.Having built ourselves up for a win today,still cannot understand how we can lose to a team like Wycombe.
Very concerned that we are 3 points behind Charlton, who have a game in hand and the unclean now 1 point behind.
There has to be only one result at the lane next Saturday if we are to maintain our promotion push.
UTB

September 24th, 2011, 10:16 pm #2

We had the worst attack in the division last season.
So we replaced Hendo,Slew ,Boggy for Porter but we still lack that finisher.
We are needing 7 shots on target to produce a goal although playing in a division lower I don't think the top clubs will allow us 7 shots on target.

parisblade
parisblade

September 25th, 2011, 6:31 am #3

Very good points Toronto and thanks for the mini-match report Kent.

Duncan Disorderly
Duncan Disorderly

September 25th, 2011, 8:30 am #4

I said 'no message'!

bedfordblade
bedfordblade

September 25th, 2011, 9:41 am #5

First of all--Kent you were there! I had not realised you were going or would have got in touch. I too was there for my first match of the season.
Clearly we outplayed them, passing mostly was very good. BUT our goalie was busy so clearly the defence were not doing enough. And we did not score so our attack did not do enough. Not unlike last season (for some of the matches) we played well but did not score.
Porter had a poor game and seemed to be detached from the team.We needed pace down the flanks and did not have it. The mid field 4 did not do enough when it came to finding the killer pass.
This was a poor result, their man took his goal brilliantly and we could not equal that.We allowed their goalie to look good but I don't think he was very good. At times it wanted the Harry Basset approach--everything in the box and go for it.
So although the passing was incredible for us the build up was too slow. I am confident that Danny Boy will sort this--we will go up. Morgs is yet to return, Field Marshall Montgomery to return. Collins and Doyle to step down.

September 25th, 2011, 11:18 am #6

I did not know you were going Bedford.My next game will probably be Leyton Orient.
Interesting that you thought a few balls into the box were needed, but while I did not mention it that the thought had crossed my mind,but we should not return to that only as an option as required.
We did imo seem to be to bunched up in the middle and not play out on the flanks enough.It did improve when Cresswell came on as he moved out there on occassions, which Porter did not do being mainly down the middle.
Like you I am sure Danny will sort it, it is still early days,but we do need to convert our chances.
UTB

wardlowwanderer
wardlowwanderer

September 25th, 2011, 12:13 pm #7

This is why we need a new (effective) striker and why we should be a little concerned about the derby match.

League 1 top scorers
Madine Sheffield Wed 9
Wordsworth Colchester 6
Wright-Phillips Charlton 6
Clarke Chesterfield 5
L Hughes Notts County 5

Bush Hill Blade
Bush Hill Blade

September 26th, 2011, 2:19 pm #8

What a total disappointment today as I was expecting a win, just shows how little I know.
Very disappointed with Porter and Williamson.
The game was there to be won and if we want to go up automatically, then we should be getting 3 points or the very minimum 1 point.
We need desparately a pacy winger and a frontman who can score.
We did look better when Creswell and Medez Laing came on.
Evans nearly broke the cross bar and then missed a guilt edged chance when it would have been easier to score.
Danny Wilson has totally changed the way we play from the horrors of last season,good to see the excellent passing being shown but we do need to strike.
I have to say that if Monty had played today,if he was fit enough,then imho we might have won.
Credit Wycombe for their game plan of containing us in the first half,and got a break just before half time.Having built ourselves up for a win today,still cannot understand how we can lose to a team like Wycombe.
Very concerned that we are 3 points behind Charlton, who have a game in hand and the unclean now 1 point behind.
There has to be only one result at the lane next Saturday if we are to maintain our promotion push.
UTB
You've got a point, KentBlade. We're top of our division on goals conceded (8), alongside Charlton and Hartlepool, but only 8th on goals scored (17). And this despite being third on attempts on goal (115), behind Scunthorpe (169) and Carlisle (123). Maybe it's not so much firepower as accuracy...

bladeinthesouth
bladeinthesouth

September 26th, 2011, 7:17 pm #9

That attempts on goal stat is interesting.

I still think Wilson intends for us to bring in a striker. Slew was sold right at the death on deadline day. It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume the 2 Rangers players were meant to be additions to a squad including Slew. Still only a left back has come in since then.

I'd be really surprised if we don't get our striker we all think we need.

We can't go the season winning every game and yes its not what we expect losing to a team down the bottom but we did. What we need to do is get a result against Charlton just to keep ourselves and everyone else guessing. I think we are short of a striker. Lets just see what materialises. I'd be amazed if Beattie is the new striker though.

Think Monty and Cresswell will come back in against Charlton.

UTB

September 26th, 2011, 8:01 pm #10

Totally agree with you.I also think Monty and Cresswell will start on Saturday,particulary if Monty gets a reserve game mid week.
Oh we were crying out for Slew last Saturday at Wycombe,we needed someone to inject some pace up front.Porter is to inmobile for me, but I counter that by saying that is the first time I have seen him live,and it is not correct to critisise unless I see him play on a regular basis,but for reasons which I will not go into that is not possible at present.
I am not certain if JB will return and maybe we should be looking at a younger striker.
It does concern me that I believe we are still a selling club despite our stated ambition to return to the championship this season.
Despite the loss at Wycombe I still think Danny Wilson is doing a fine job with the resources available.
The guy is human after all.
UTB