Kevin McCabe

Kevin McCabe

May 31st, 2012, 7:30 pm #1

I have been a Blade for 40 years, through thick and thin, and I would just like to remind a few McCabe dissenters that we would be much worse of without him. His love for the club has cost him millions, and I for one would like to thank him for standing by us in our hour of need and not selling the club off to another party for a meaningless sum. So thank you Kevin, keep us under your wing until we rise again.
UTB.

Mall
Mall

June 1st, 2012, 9:23 am #2

What evidence is there that we would have been worse of without McCabe.
Have you not followed the decline under his leadership? What division do you think we are in.
Give me a chairman like Dave Whelan any day. Solely engaged on his beloved Wigan and doing a gargantuan job for the ninth consecutive season.
The reason that McCabe has lost so much money is because of poor decision making and a delusion of Brand United in the far east etc before the football team had earned any plaudits.
Not a man to copy in a football sense.

Reading Blade
Reading Blade

June 1st, 2012, 9:37 am #3

I could turn that around. What evidence is there that we would have been better without him?

None is the answer I think. It's impossible to know either way.

I also believe that for every one Dave Whelan there are plenty worse than McCabe. I don't think he has got everything right. Other than the appointment of Robson, I have not really disagreed with any other decision/appointment he made at the time it was made. Looking back is very easy, doing it at the time is not.

I'd also say that the Chengdu venture has been a complete disaster and I wouldn't have got involved in that unless we were a really top side. Venturing and looking for commercial links is all well and good if you are established in the top flight but we've never been established under McCabe's stewardship.

June 1st, 2012, 10:44 am #4

Agree with you Reading, at least it hurt KM just as much at me last saturday, seeing our dreams go up in smoke once again......

Read the book on our boardroon..."fit and proper" i think...KM ( Apart from the foriegn ventures ) has been the best bloke in the seat we could have hoped for....imagine if Paddy had saved Unsworths Penalty in 2007, ( he was centimetres away ) and Wigan had gone down.....what would Whelan had done then, he was trying to offload the club even then.... We may have done a Stoke??? There is a fine line between success and failure and for me KM is the right man to precide......

I see we are linked with Dave Kitson...whilst offering a deal to Porter.......thats not KM its DW'S domain....

Reading Blade
Reading Blade

June 1st, 2012, 11:36 am #5

Kitson is (or at least was) top quality (as long as they don't mean Paul Kitson!) and I'd be amazed if we landed him. He's not the quick, young and hungry striker that I'd hope we'd be in for though.

I'd be very surprised if several Championship clubs were not very interested in him.

I will have a read of that book. Sounds very interesting.

bedfordblade
bedfordblade

June 1st, 2012, 12:56 pm #6

Got to know him quite well at one time--and his wife Sandra. Seen little of him since he went to Brussels.
He got McDonald out as he disagreed with him. Good Move
appointed various managers (some with Dooley's help)-- -----Heath--not good.Bruce--hmmm
Warnock--mixed success.
Robbo--ugh and that is where we went mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Players had no respect for him.
Blackie--rescued Blades after Robbo, Wembley failure--many good players sold, fans critical. Budget going backwards

Speedo--no comment
Adams--oh dear
Danny Boy--nearly a success.

Kevin has sold all of our good players---usually for financial reasons.
Sadly economic downturn undid the potential in Hungary, China and the Hotel. Perhaps he tried for too much.

We have had some curious appointments at administration level and some of them have not been a success.

Academy is going forward---success. Stadium is far, far better than before----big success.

He was ambitious for the club but I think the west ham issue did his head in and left him totally fed up.

My conclusion is that it was a very good try but the economic downturn and west ham were not within his control

oldblade
oldblade

June 1st, 2012, 1:25 pm #7

Heath and Bruce were McDonald appointments.

oldblade
oldblade

June 1st, 2012, 1:36 pm #8

What evidence is there that we would have been worse of without McCabe.
Have you not followed the decline under his leadership? What division do you think we are in.
Give me a chairman like Dave Whelan any day. Solely engaged on his beloved Wigan and doing a gargantuan job for the ninth consecutive season.
The reason that McCabe has lost so much money is because of poor decision making and a delusion of Brand United in the far east etc before the football team had earned any plaudits.
Not a man to copy in a football sense.
david Whelan appears to be a very good chairman, but he is Wigan's chairman, not our's. And over the last decade or so I haven't exactly seen a queue of people wanting to take us over or put in any significant investment.

I would guess that McCabe is out of pocket to the tune of millions and without him we would not exist.

bedfordblade
bedfordblade

June 1st, 2012, 3:47 pm #9

re managers--I am going from memory. Kendall was apptd by MacDonald and left for Everton in 1997. Kendall did like a drink!
Spackman took over and lasted about 7 months before walking out. Enter Thomson on acting basis.In this time Dean and Fjortoft were sold and McCabe accepted responsibility.
McCabe took charge of interviews ansd appeared on TV saying he would consider all applications including Spackman if he applied.
McCabe went to nearly all of the matches at this time and I went with him to several. Bruce referred many matters to McCabe, Macdonald was never around. But when Bruce left he said it was not clear who was in charge. In my view that was just an excuse.
McCabe never rated Heath. Certainly Dooley was the guide re. the apptment of Warnock.

Mall
Mall

June 1st, 2012, 4:05 pm #10

david Whelan appears to be a very good chairman, but he is Wigan's chairman, not our's. And over the last decade or so I haven't exactly seen a queue of people wanting to take us over or put in any significant investment.

I would guess that McCabe is out of pocket to the tune of millions and without him we would not exist.

Yes we would!
It's his decisions which have caused these events.
He cannot pick a manager to save his life.
I do however hope that Wilson can reverse this trend.