can we win all of the remaining fixtures?

can we win all of the remaining fixtures?

Bedfordblade
Bedfordblade

April 8th, 2011, 7:03 pm #1

Oh yes we can! Oh no we can't. So is your glass half full or half empty? Anybody? How did a top club come so unstuck? Not any club but our club. Some of us have supported the club for 60 years (in my case) some for even more and here we are.
Only two years ago we were going places, only five years ago we did go places. Incredible that we managed to make the same mistakes as so many other clubs who came down from the premiership and kept going down.
I find it hard to believe that Kevin McCabe has got us to this point. He is top man--business man--a big success and we have sold some serious players and recruited players below par. Adams says we are a soft touch--the team called blades, the steel city's finest so come on now a big win tomorrow.

April 8th, 2011, 7:43 pm #2

Sadly, even with your glass completely full, we aren't going to survive. It's time to come to terms with that.

KMc has much bigger financial problems than is commonly known. He basically has no money now.

Duncan Disorderly
Duncan Disorderly

April 8th, 2011, 8:31 pm #3

"He basically has no money now."

Is this a guess Sane, or do you know something..?

April 8th, 2011, 10:14 pm #4

Hello Dunc

Look at the Valad share price now compared to when he took those shares as payment for Scarborough. I'm sure he is still comfortable and wealthy on any normal measure, but I doubt he has anything like enough to fund a footie club habit.

Duncan Disorderly
Duncan Disorderly

April 9th, 2011, 6:36 am #5

He did end up with a decent chunk of cash out of the Valad deal, though as you say, he wasn't short of a bob or two before.

Im sure that his change of attitude to the club and its finances is partly about the hit he took on property over the last five years, but I suspect there is another reason. He's getting on a bit now. He has already stated that he wants out and to retire. I think that he tried to 'set the club up for life' as his legacy with additional revenue streams, foreign links, the hotel for the World Cup. However, it all unravelled bit by bit starting with West Ham, and finishing with what we have now.

Does he chuck good money after bad? (I believe he has funded some extra player budget this season too). He can't sell it in todays climate. Maybe his sons don't want to carry it on, who knows? What else does he do but enforce the financal principles of Mr Macawber? Along with the rest of us I'm sure its not what he wanted to happen, but now we are here, we have to accept it and begin building again...

'...or watch the things you gave your life to, broken, And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools...' - Rudyard Kipling

Heres to the future...!!

bedfordblade
bedfordblade

April 9th, 2011, 7:43 am #6

I recognise that KMc has seen his fortunes decline and he has a mega fortune in shares in SUFC which currently are worthless. So he has to keep going to re-start the club if ever he is going to get his money back out. He will not be able to totally quit for quite a while. Must be thinking "should have not sacked Warnock" (?).
Hey ho--will give it a miss today, it has not been a lot of fun travelling to see a poor performance week after week.

Duncan Disorderly
Duncan Disorderly

April 9th, 2011, 10:21 am #7

Can't blame you for that Bedford. We've reduced our attendence in recent months too.

Anyway, back to the original question. Can we win our remaining games? If we get a win today, then I think we are on to win/draw all our home games. Then if we can sneak a win away at Preston, then the great escape is on, but really, I think we've all accepted that this almost certainly won't happen...

*Dunc crosses fingers and looks to the heavens*

granthamblades
granthamblades

April 9th, 2011, 12:21 pm #8

I have to agree with you Duncan,but keeping our fingers crossed will do no harm.

UTB