TALVIENKELI HYBRIS, ALBUM, MARCH/APRIL 2017.
TALVIENKELI are a 5 piece female fronted symphonic/progressive metal band hailing from Lyon, France.
TALVIENKELI, Album line up.
CAMILLE BORRELLY, VOCALS, ACOUSTIC GUITAR.
PIERRE BESANGON, GUITAR, BACKING VOCALS.
LAETITIA BERTRAND, BASS.
PIERRE CORDIER, KEYBOARDS.
PAUL SORDET, DRUMS.
1. DEGENERESCENCE (Hybris part 11) - Opening with some nice piano work as Camille's gentle vocals come in along side mellow classic style arrangements. This is a beautiful start, setting the tone for the album. The track explodes with symphonic grandeur whilst Camille's vocals are of a high pitch with a folky edge to them. This track is a forceful piece with Laetitia producing some deep bass lines along with some excellent keyboard work from Pierre C. Progressive elements and some spoken words within the number gives it a varied taste, superb use of light and shade. A whirlwind of classy symphonics that flow back and forth with ease in this neatly arranged, intriguing number.
RUNNING TIME: - 7.05 INS.
2. BURNING FLESH: - This number creeps steadily up on you with its symphonic flair, keys, driving guitars and powerful drumming. The whole number flows in and out of different elements. Camille produces a unique siren like vocal that has a certain fragility to it and is alluring. Soft spoken words in the mix add their own colour. Pierre C's keys add a classical feel to the number which also has a darker tint. A tempting and beguiling piece that delivers.
RUNNING TIME: - 5.54 MINS.
3. IMMORTAL: - Hard driving metal guitars open the track along side deep bass lines and swirling keys as the symphonic side kicks in. Hard, steady drumming from Paul gives the number a solid backbone. Camille enters with some strong siren like vocals using her range to great effect, going back and forth from her high pitches to more mellower parts and some haunting whispering vocals later in the song. This is another track with progressive elements including in the melting pot. There's more of a harder metal edge thanks to Pierre B's chugging guitar riffs. A top class varied, well produced number.
RUNNING TIME: - 6.03 MINS.
4. THE EXPLORER: - Beginning very softly with some wonderful keyboard work from Pierre C as Camille enters with some angelic sounding vocals that are soft and ethereal with a folky tint along side light symphonics that add a graceful air. A slowish track that gradually soaks into your system and breezes around with a delightful aura. Nice variations within the track that at times are more on the progressive side as well as having that touch of folkiness. Deep male spoken vocals add an unexpected twist to the mix towards the latter stages as the track reaches the end. Smashing number.
RUNNING TIME: - 5.12 mins.
5. QUILL OF DUST: - Mmmm this is indeed a strong piece of work with its classy symphonic delivery. Starting slow and ghostly before igniting into a tour de force, the whole number sallies back and forth with ease, mellow one minute, full on the next. Camille is on fine form here and shines out. This number will torment you with its mysterious aura and slight Gothic tints. A very interesting affair that is quiet appealing as it reaches into the deepest recesses of your mind while a lot of amazingly different vibes assail your senses. A bold, powerful piece of work that grabs your full attention.
RUNNING TIME: - 9.46 MINS.
6. ATLAS: - We are off with some harder rocking symphonic metal with driving guitar riffs and stonking drums attacking you from the onset. Camille issues some super melodic style vocals against the whirling symphonics. This is a great track that rocks with some hard driving guitar riffs from Pierre B and a little manic in places.A brief mellower passage just after midway adds another colour to the proceedings with Camille producing some lovely gentle vocals, this part is like being involved in a fairy tale, before the track ignites once again. An enjoyable number that has a melodic edge that blends well with the symphonics.
RUNNING TIME: - 4.56 MINS.
7. RAINING MOON: - A very soothing mellow beginning with the symphonic arrangements and keys creating an air of tranquility. Camille@s vocals are intriguing as she takes you into her embrace. The whole atmosphere is pleasant and has a tint of sadness. A beguiling number that has a great story delivered in a careful and soothing way with lots of tenderness. Everything is toned down to create this lovely piece with ts melodic touches and in places an old world flavour.
RUNNING TIME: - 5.37 MINS.
8. DEADLY NIGHTSHADE: - A number that maintains a very soft approach, gentle spoken words and mellow symphonics with some delightful keyboards/piano playing from Pierre C. Camille enchants you with some super vocals. This track, at times, has a Celtic traditional feel as it wraps you in a soft gossamer cocoon.This is a totally enchanting chill out piece with lots of deep feeling with a great story unfolding. Excellent guitar work from Pierre B as the track turns up the power a notch and goes into a more progressive mode with a darker vein and a bit more manic and evil for the ending.
RUNNING TIME: - 5.35 MINS.
9. SCREAM - HER: - Darker and mystical symphonics with Camille coming in with some haunting vocals, the track then bursts into life and begins to sizzle and burn as it assaults your senses. Great powerful drumming from Paul drives the track along with ease. Plenty of dark vibes lurk around in this eddying melting pot. This is a much heavier track with some grinding guitar riffs that grind into you. An interesting little number that is eerie in places with Camille having a more evil and darker tinged tone to her vocals as the track creeps into your system. A strange but tantalising affair.
RUNNING TIME: - 4.54 MINS.
10. BIENVEILLANCE (Hybris part 1) - Camille's spoken vocals relate the story against a background of quiet symphonics as the number draws you into a landscape that is very creative and full of deep feeling with continued enticing vocals from Camille. The number spurts into life with grinding guitar riffs and strong symphonic arrangements as it swings to and fro in a manic style and is full of madness. The story continues to unfold before you with its unique blend of classical and progressive elements. The softer gentler passages with spoken words relate the story character perfectly, Camille really knows how to play and deliver the character and relate the story within the mixture of different arrangements. This is almost like you are watching and listening to a musical play or drama as it builds up to a high powered finish bringing the final curtain down on the album. Excellent.
RUNNING TIME: - 8.46 MINS.
This is very complex and intriguing album with a superb story thread running all the way through it. It will take a few plays to really appreciate it fully and the work that has been put into the album. So much to discover and delve into with it's varied mix of different musical elements. A totally demanding album that delivers on all fronts. I suppose in some ways I would class this is as a concept album, I do not have anything negative to say about it, the only thing that springs to mind is perhaps I would of liked to have heard a couple of more guitar solos, but that's my personal taste. True the album will not be everyone's cup of tea, but will appeal to fans who like the progressive side of symphonic music without the usual operatic flavoured vocals. This album is definitely worth checking out. Myself I love it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.....10/10
Photos courtesy of Instant Pop
For more info on TALVIENKELI check out the following sites/links