Whoever wrote the current Wikipedia Bix entry...

Jamaica
Jamaica

11:45 PM - Mar 26, 2006 #1

...you might want to change it. The photograph used isn't Bix. It's Eugene Clinton Parker. Bix is the fellow second from the right (the reader's right) in the back row.

12:56 AM - Mar 27, 2006 #2

.... is a moron. He/she used a photo from the Lake Forest Academy Ferry Hall Collection and did not check. There are three errors in the page http://tinyurl.com/jgyjd
They are higlighted in what follows

This is not a photo of Bix; as Jamaica tells us, that is Eugene Clinton Parker. The photo is a close up of a group photo of the Lake Forest Orchestra in p. 101 of Evans and Evans.

coronet instead of cornet

Bix was born in 1903, not 1902

Chris Beiderbecke asked me months ago to edit the entry for Bix in Wikipedia. One of the miriad things in my "to do" list.

Albert

Lake Forest Academy and Ferry Hall Collection

Beiderbecke, Leon "Bix", photograph 1922

Title: Beiderbecke, Leon "Bix", photograph 1922
Description: Photograph of jazz great Leon "Bix" Beiderbecke holding his coronet in the school orchestra yearbook photograph. Beiderbecke was born in 1902 and attended Lake Forest Academy for one year from 1921-22.
Subject: Academies
High schools
Schools -- Illinois
Student activities
Students
Students -- Illinois
Teachers
Youth
Organization: Ferry Hall
Lake Forest Academy
Participant: Lake Forest Academy
Creator: Caxy Yearbook Staff
Publisher: Caxy yearbook, Lake Forest Academy ,
Date: 1922-
Type: published book
Format: paper
Source: School Yearbooks, Yearbook Staff, 8.5x11
City: Lake Forest
State: Illinois
Decade: 1920-1929
SourceSummary: The yearbooks are arranged into three groups: the Forester, Ferry Tales, and the Caxy, thereunder chronologically.The yearbooks document school life, sports, activities, students, faculty, staff, grounds and buildings.
AcquisitionData: Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG), 300 DPI, 8-bit gray-scale (256 grays), HP ScanJet 6100C, Corel Photo-Paint 6
DateCreated: 1922-
DateCataloged: 2/21/2003
PlaceKept: Lake Forest Academy - Ferry Hall Archives, RG 12, Cabinet #1
Language: English
ItemOrder: 0
CompoundDoc: No
CollectionsID: 487

Jamaica
Jamaica

1:08 AM - Mar 27, 2006 #3

I'm so exhausted today, I didn't even notice the birth year was listed as 1902. I sometimes see it listed as 1904, but '02 is a new one to me.

Is there a difference between cornet and coronet? Both spellings are correct, but perhaps there is some difference in the instrument indicated by the different spellings? If you want to get really technical, Eugene isn't even holding a cornet, it's a trumpet. Oh well, can't be too hard on the contributor if they were sincere with good intentions; but correct info is far more helpful to the preservation of Bix's memory than incorrect info.

3:29 AM - Mar 27, 2006 #4

.... an alternate spelling for cornet. Coronet means according to

"The American HeritageĀ® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000."

coronet
The upper margin of a horse's hoof. Middle English coronette, from Old French, diminutive of corone, crown, from Latin corona.

You are correct: Eugene is holding a trumpet.

Albert

Michael Rader
Michael Rader

7:33 AM - Mar 27, 2006 #5

.... is a moron. He/she used a photo from the Lake Forest Academy Ferry Hall Collection and did not check. There are three errors in the page http://tinyurl.com/jgyjd
They are higlighted in what follows

This is not a photo of Bix; as Jamaica tells us, that is Eugene Clinton Parker. The photo is a close up of a group photo of the Lake Forest Orchestra in p. 101 of Evans and Evans.

coronet instead of cornet

Bix was born in 1903, not 1902

Chris Beiderbecke asked me months ago to edit the entry for Bix in Wikipedia. One of the miriad things in my "to do" list.

Albert

Lake Forest Academy and Ferry Hall Collection

Beiderbecke, Leon "Bix", photograph 1922

Title: Beiderbecke, Leon "Bix", photograph 1922
Description: Photograph of jazz great Leon "Bix" Beiderbecke holding his coronet in the school orchestra yearbook photograph. Beiderbecke was born in 1902 and attended Lake Forest Academy for one year from 1921-22.
Subject: Academies
High schools
Schools -- Illinois
Student activities
Students
Students -- Illinois
Teachers
Youth
Organization: Ferry Hall
Lake Forest Academy
Participant: Lake Forest Academy
Creator: Caxy Yearbook Staff
Publisher: Caxy yearbook, Lake Forest Academy ,
Date: 1922-
Type: published book
Format: paper
Source: School Yearbooks, Yearbook Staff, 8.5x11
City: Lake Forest
State: Illinois
Decade: 1920-1929
SourceSummary: The yearbooks are arranged into three groups: the Forester, Ferry Tales, and the Caxy, thereunder chronologically.The yearbooks document school life, sports, activities, students, faculty, staff, grounds and buildings.
AcquisitionData: Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG), 300 DPI, 8-bit gray-scale (256 grays), HP ScanJet 6100C, Corel Photo-Paint 6
DateCreated: 1922-
DateCataloged: 2/21/2003
PlaceKept: Lake Forest Academy - Ferry Hall Archives, RG 12, Cabinet #1
Language: English
ItemOrder: 0
CompoundDoc: No
CollectionsID: 487
One of the interesting features of Wikipedia is that you can trace all alterations and compare versions. The image was added fairly recently by an alumnus of Lake Forest Academy, who doesn't mention Bix as one of his major interests. The major question when doing work on Wikipedia is whether to improve and correct existing articles or to write something new from scratch.

5:17 PM - Mar 27, 2006 #6

Thanks for pointing these out to me, Michael. The History link is particualrly interesting.

Thanks also to the enterprising Fredrik: he took immediate action and deleted the offending photo from the page. Good work, Fredrik. If all writers were as thorough and careful as you, there would be no need to arrive at an accurate account of Bix's life by successive approximations: the first version would be definitive.

Fredrik is hereby knighted. He is now Sir Fredrik of Bixonia.

Albert

Jamaica
Jamaica

9:13 PM - Mar 27, 2006 #7

Regarding the new content, though, I'm pretty sure Miles Davis was only indirectly influenced by Bix and not directly. On this forum some time back someone dug up and presented the Davis quote: "No, I don't listen to Bix. I listen to Bobby Hackett and HE listens to Bix." (I think it was Bobby Hackett...)

Also we have one of the Davis biographies and they indicate indirect influence as well.

As for older info: I don't believe that Emmett Hardy could've played like they say he did, (like Beiderbecke 10 years later) and not have other trumpet/cornet players emerging (at the same time as Bix) with a new sound, instead of it only being Bix. And we know from his contemporaries that they'd never heard anything like what Bix was playing.

Jim Denham
Jim Denham

11:58 PM - Apr 01, 2006 #8

Firstly: I am he person who amended the (prevoiusly woeful) "Bix" entry on "Wickepedia": it is still not perfect, but is, I hope, considerably improved. I am not responsible for the erroneous photograph, that has now been removed. I am responsible for the comments about Miles Davis having been fascinated by Bix (albeit via Bobby Hackett): this was based upon an interview with Ruby Braff (by Jim Godbolt), published a couple of years ago in the British "Ronnie Scott's" magazine. I haven't got the precise date and detaild to hand, but if anyone wants them, I can dig them out.

Jamaica
Jamaica

3:57 AM - Apr 02, 2006 #9

If you run across it, I think it would be great to see it.

I'm thrilled whenever I hear extremely well-known jazz musicians talk favorably about Bix's playing. (Miles is a big favorite in our home.) He is so easily dismissed by a lot of people because of all the romanticism surrounding him. It's really too bad, too. I never hear anyone at the Trumpet Herald Forum talk about him being a favorite or an influence. I've seen them list everybody under the sun **but** Bix, hopefully it's only because he played cornet,but I doubt it.

You know I've seen that very same picture listed as Bix at some other site. No wonder the person who posted it made that mistake. I came across it myself when I first became a fan and I didn't know Bix's face well enough to know that it wasn't him. I just thought, "Well that doesn't look like the other pictures I've seen so far..." Lol!

1:51 PM - Apr 02, 2006 #10

Firstly: I am he person who amended the (prevoiusly woeful) "Bix" entry on "Wickepedia": it is still not perfect, but is, I hope, considerably improved. I am not responsible for the erroneous photograph, that has now been removed. I am responsible for the comments about Miles Davis having been fascinated by Bix (albeit via Bobby Hackett): this was based upon an interview with Ruby Braff (by Jim Godbolt), published a couple of years ago in the British "Ronnie Scott's" magazine. I haven't got the precise date and detaild to hand, but if anyone wants them, I can dig them out.
.... of the author of the Bix entry in Wikipedia, I was specifically targeting the person who added the photo. It is inexcusable to provide information without first carrying out some thorough research on the subject. I have often argued that "no information" is better than "wrong information." "Wrong information," particularly with the ease of cutting and pasting has a tendency to propagate like wild fire. And once it is repeated a sufficient number of times, the original source is lost, and the flawed data becomes part of the accepted story.

Albert