What Islands?

What Islands?

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

December 8th, 2011, 2:54 am #1

Does anyone know if the title of the song famously recorded by Bix and the Wolverines is "Susie (of the Islands)" or just plain "Susie"?

The record label says nothing about any "Islands," and I have a vague memory of the original sheet music, which also was island-less both in title and in the lyrics.

BUT: Practically every reference to this title on the internet DOES include these mysterious islands.

What's the truth? Albert? Anybody?

-Brad Kay

December 8th, 2011, 2:56 pm #2

There are few recordings of Susie. Of course, the Wolverines.

One by Bud Freeman and one by Ernie Hawkins. I don't know of any others. The one by Bud Freeman is listed as just "Susie." The one by Hawkins as "Susie (of the Islands)." I found no sheet music. Gus Kahn (one of the composers, the other is Clayton Naset) is in the Songwriters Hall of Fame. "Susie" is listed as just "Susie."

Andy Schumm introduced the tune as "Susie of the Islands."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkmLm6NKEMI

The Catalog of copyright entries, Part 3, Issues 5-6, <span class="addmd">Library of Congress. Copyright Office, United States. Dept. of the Treasury lists the following: </span>

<span class="addmd">"Susie; w Gus Kahn, music C. Naset of U.S. copyrighted March 21 March 20, 1924, 2 c March 21, E584619; Jerome H. Remick & co,, New York."</span>

<span class="addmd">So it is "Susie." But I have not been able to find out where does the "of the Islands" come from. I searched for the lyrics but was unsuccessful. Anyone?</span>

<span class="addmd">Albert</span>

David Sager
David Sager

December 8th, 2011, 6:21 pm #3

How about the Gennett recording card, does that give the parenthetical?

December 8th, 2011, 7:50 pm #4

I understand that Malcolm Rockwell (I believe the son of Tommy Rockwell) has a pretty complete set of jpgs and bmps of Gennett recording cards. I also understand that Charles Dahan and Malcolm Rockwell have a book "The Complete Gennett Discography"  in progress.

At this moment I cannot connect to the UCLA Gennett records page.

I just wrote to Malcolm asking him if he has the card for Susie.

Albert

David Sager
David Sager

December 8th, 2011, 8:41 pm #5

I just wrote to Dan Morganstern at Rutgers w the same question!

Andy Schumm
Andy Schumm

December 9th, 2011, 12:00 am #6

There are few recordings of Susie. Of course, the Wolverines.

One by Bud Freeman and one by Ernie Hawkins. I don't know of any others. The one by Bud Freeman is listed as just "Susie." The one by Hawkins as "Susie (of the Islands)." I found no sheet music. Gus Kahn (one of the composers, the other is Clayton Naset) is in the Songwriters Hall of Fame. "Susie" is listed as just "Susie."

Andy Schumm introduced the tune as "Susie of the Islands."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkmLm6NKEMI

The Catalog of copyright entries, Part 3, Issues 5-6, <span class="addmd">Library of Congress. Copyright Office, United States. Dept. of the Treasury lists the following: </span>

<span class="addmd">"Susie; w Gus Kahn, music C. Naset of U.S. copyrighted March 21 March 20, 1924, 2 c March 21, E584619; Jerome H. Remick & co,, New York."</span>

<span class="addmd">So it is "Susie." But I have not been able to find out where does the "of the Islands" come from. I searched for the lyrics but was unsuccessful. Anyone?</span>

<span class="addmd">Albert</span>
For the record, I introduced it as Susie of the Islands only because I've heard it that way. I haven't researched it, so I wouldn't take my introduction as any sort of evidence.

Andy

December 9th, 2011, 12:43 pm #7

I understand that Malcolm Rockwell (I believe the son of Tommy Rockwell) has a pretty complete set of jpgs and bmps of Gennett recording cards. I also understand that Charles Dahan and Malcolm Rockwell have a book "The Complete Gennett Discography"  in progress.

At this moment I cannot connect to the UCLA Gennett records page.

I just wrote to Malcolm asking him if he has the card for Susie.

Albert
Malcolm kindly came up with the file card.

As you can see, the title of the song is simply "Susie."

We still don't know where "of the Islands" comes from.

Albert

December 9th, 2011, 12:49 pm #8

For the record, I introduced it as Susie of the Islands only because I've heard it that way. I haven't researched it, so I wouldn't take my introduction as any sort of evidence.

Andy
I did not mean to imply that your introduction of the song was evidence for the actual title. To be perfectly honest, I used it as an excuse to "plug" the youtube video. I am a great admirer of  Andy Schumm and His Bixologists!

Albert

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

December 9th, 2011, 5:14 pm #9

... We now know pretty much for certain that the song began life as just plain "Susie," and that her feet were firmly planted on the mainland. Must have been a hell of a vacation she had later on, when she became permanently identified with those "Islands."

So when did that happen, who started it and why, and was all she brought back a lousy Lei?

-Brad K

Russell Davies
Russell Davies

December 9th, 2011, 10:51 pm #10

The detailed song list for Gus Kahn at the Songwriters Hall of Fame does indeed give the following:

http://songwritershalloffame.org/index. ... /C91/P220/

The sheet music has been offered for sale on the net, in these terms:

Lot 654: [ Sheet Music ] SUSIE / Gus Kahn & C.Naset / Remick ...
www.artfact.com/.../sheet-music-susie-g ... t...Cached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
[ Sheet Music ] SUSIE / Gus Kahn & C.Naset / Remick / 1924 / PRETTY GAL,PIC:DICK REGAN / E.

But sadly, there is no image of the sheet music cover inside this entry. If there were islands in the song, the cover artist would presumably have depicted them.

R.D.