June 18th, 2018, 12:40 am #11

Never mind.  Feeling a little possessed today.  Possibly it's very premature cantankerousness, but only a passing case.

June 18th, 2018, 2:01 pm #12

Louis with  Rogers?. Incontrovertible proof is the evidence of one's ears.:-)

June 29th, 2018, 6:27 am #13

Not to deflate anyone, but Scott Black's contention was thoroughly debunked - with the same photos snd some of the articles - at least two or three years ago, primarily by David Bock and other worker bees. Much of the debunking appeared on Scott Black's own Facebook page - though not much to his liking. However, he conceded the point. I'm surprised that you don't appear to have read it and known it was done. Several others were aware & discussed it.

I saved some because that's how I am. I often doubt that what is around today will be around tomorrow. Also the photo never looked like Bix to me. The dimensions were wrong.

When my wrist (yes, that boring wrist again) is in full working order, I'll go back to the computer & look up the dates. Then the rest of you can see for yourselves on Facebook.

June 30th, 2018, 12:25 pm #14

Coscannon on June 29, 2018, at 02:27.

“Not to deflate anyone, but Scott Black's contention was thoroughly debunked - with the same photos snd [sic] some of the articles - at least two or three years ago, primarily by David Bock and other worker bees. Much of the debunking appeared on Scott Black's own Facebook page - though not much to his liking. However, he conceded the point. I'm surprised that you don't appear to have read it and known it was done. Several others were aware & discussed it.”

The above posting is filled with inaccuracies.

“However, he [Black] conceded the point. I'm surprised that you don't appear to have read it [Black’s Facebook page] and known it was done.”

Of course we read Scott Black’s posting and the follow-up discussion in his Facebook page. One of the first sentences in our posting reads, “On August 18, 2014, Scott Black posted in his Facebook page the complete photo with the accompanying text (but not the name of the newspaper or the date of publication).”
Nowhere does Black concede that his contention of a photo of Bix in 1931 was debunked.
Here is what Scott Black posted in response to Dave Bock and others. It is quite evident that Black thinks that the guy on the far right in his photo is not the same as the guy next to Doc Peyton in Dave Bock’s photograph (as reproduced below).

Scott Black Of course this guy isn't Bix. As I pointed out before Bix seems a good bit taller.

PortionDaveBockPeytonPhoto.jpg

Scott Black The guy on the far right photograph has a much fuller face, though in a newspaper photo it's a rough call. I have never seen another photograph where the guy looks that much like Bix. And keeping with reports that Bix played with Peyton's Orchestra in 1931. The photo that Dave has wouldn't have been used for publicity for this short tour as it was lined up through Mal Hallett's office in New England, not Chicago. That's why Red Nichols thought that it was possible that Bix had toured with Hallett in 1931. Bands did use the same outfits for more than one publicity shoot back then..and now as well. If you don't want to believe that's Bix..then don't. Beiderbecke did do a tour with this band in 1931.

Scott Black They wore the same outfit. Are you saying that Bix did not play with this orchestra for 2 weeks? Go by the height. Bix was 5ft 10 and around 170lbs here, although he lost at least 20 lbs the last couple months of his life. He was quite thin at the end. For good reason too. 

Scott Black True! And like they did in the Whiteman band, you usually bought your band uniforms from guys who left if possible. He did this tour, saved up a few bucks, had a custom made Bach long model cornet done up for him, only to lose it a few months later when he couldn't keep up the payments. It seems he ordered it before the tour. Hans Bach still felt terrible about that when he mentioned it. No idea what happened to it either. 

“thoroughly debunked … primarily by David Bock.”
Here is all Dave Bock posted:

Dave Bock Here's my Doc Peyton Photo.....

DocPeytonBandDaveBock.jpg

Dave Bock Bix guy is middle left I think....same day?

Dave Bock One thing is for sure - they are standing in front of the same building - look at the windows. I think the camera angles and the way the guys are leaning/positioned makes the difference in the height. Also, what are the chances that the Bix lookalike guy was the 2nd cornet player in the band and was replaced by Bix? I know bands re-used their photos for posters, etc...If only they were holding their instruments - damn!

We don’t view Dave Bock’s statement “what are the chances that the Bix lookalike guy was the 2nd cornet player in the band and was replaced by Bix?  as “thoroughly debunking” Black’s contention that the guy on the far right of the Scott Black photo is Bix. Bock is assuming, tacitly, that the lookalike guy is not Bix, but that Bix was on tour for two weeks in 1931 with Doc Peyton’s band.

All the postings and discussion in Scott Black’s Facebook page are based on the assumption that the newspaper photo of Doc Peyton’s band that Scott Black posted is from 1931.  Our crucial discovery is that the photo is, in fact, from 1930, and this allows us to rule out, conclusively, Black’s contention that Bix is the guy on the far right hand side of the photograph. This is treated in great detail in our posting

the-alleged-1931-photograph-of-bix-beid ... tml#p52596

Albert Haim
Nick Dellow

June 30th, 2018, 3:58 pm #15

Here's what the story comes down to: It isn't Bix. That's been debunked.