Ted Lewis's Band in 1928

Albert Haim
Albert Haim

April 28th, 2008, 6:07 pm #1

Enrico kindly sends this nice photo of the Ted Lewis Band on May 22, 1928 at the Orpheum.

Enrico recognizes Ted Lewis and George Brunies. He asks who are the other guys?

During the period March - July 1928, Lewis wass in New York and recorded, among other sides, "I Ain't Got Nobody," "A Jazz Holiday," and "Clarinet Marmalade." Rust gives Walter Kahn and Dave Klein, t; George Brunies, Harry Raderman, tb; Ted Lewis, Don Murray, reeds; Frank Ross, p; Sol Klein, vn; Tony Gerhardi, bj, g; Harry Barth, bb; Jack Lucas, d. I don't see Don Murray. There is a one to one correspondence between the names and the guys in the photo: 2 t, 2 tb, 1 p, 1 g, 1 bass, 1 d, 1 vn.

Albert

Ken
Ken

April 28th, 2008, 6:28 pm #2

l to r Walter Kahn (trumpet), Dave Klein (trumpet), John Lucas (drums), Harry Barth (bass), Ted Lewis, unknown (4 string guitar), George Brunies (trombone), Frank Ross (piano), Harry Raderman (trombone), Sol Shapiro (violin).

Albert Haim
Albert Haim

April 28th, 2008, 8:16 pm #3

Enrico kindly sends this nice photo of the Ted Lewis Band on May 22, 1928 at the Orpheum.

During the period March - July 1928, Lewis wass in New York and recorded, among other sides, "I Ain't Got Nobody," "A Jazz Holiday," and "Clarinet Marmalade." Rust gives Walter Kahn and Dave Klein, t; George Brunies, Harry Raderman, tb; Ted Lewis, Don Murray, reeds; Frank Ross, p; Sol Klein, vn; Tony Gerhardi, bj, g; Harry Barth, bb; Jack Lucas, d. I don't see Don Murray. There is a one to one correspondence between the names and the guys in the photo: 2 t, 2 tb, 1 p, 1 g, 1 bass, 1 d, 1 vn.

Albert
Mark Berresford gives

Left to right - Walter Kahn, Dave Klein, John Lucas (crouching), Harry Barth, Ted, Tony Girardi, George Brunies, Frank Ross, Harry Raderman, Sam Shapiro.

Almost the same as Ken gives, with one addition and one correction for the first name of violinist Shapiro, Sam not Sol. Rust spells the name of the guitarist Gerhardi, not Girardi.

Is Shapiro certain? Sol Klein joined Ted Lewis in 1924 and was still with the band in 1934. Shapiro joined Lewis in 1931.

Albert

Ken
Ken

April 29th, 2008, 7:58 am #4

According to Rust (who has his first name wrong) Shapiro joined in 1925 and according to Lord (who also has his first name wrong) he was present for the first time in early 1928, replacing (temporarily?) Klein.
However, Murray is not in the photo; therefore it must have been taken before late January 1928.
I suspect Shapiro temporarily joined somewhere in 1927 and that this picture was taken around that time. Anyway, the violinist in this picture is definitely not Sol Klein; he looked much like his brothers (see other photos of the Lewis band).

April 29th, 2008, 12:59 pm #5

Albert
I was looking at the booklet that comes with the Thesaurus of Classic Jazz, four LPs put out by Columbia in 1959, C4L18. There are lots of interesting photographs. Here is one of the Seger Ellis Orchestra (sans Ellis), a still from Vitaphone # 1504.

On the platform, left to right,
Tommy Dorsey, Fuzzy Farrar, Stan King, Jimmy Dorsey.
In front, left to right
Eddie Lang, Al Duffy, Arthur Schutt.

Something striking, all these guys (including the invisible Seger Ellis), except Al Duffy, played with Bix. And all but Duffy and Schutt recorded with Bix.

Has anyone seen this Vitaphone? The redhotjjazz site lists as a "jazz short film" "How Can I Love You? Seger Ellis and his Embassy Club Orchestra 1929." Is this the same as the vitaphone?

Seger Ellis made a lot of excellent recordings in the 1920s with great jazz musicians such as the ones mentioned above, as well as Joe Venuti, Rube Bloom, Phil Napolen, Tony Colucci, Andy Sannella, Manny Klein, Jack Purvis, Arnold Brilhart, Muggsy Spanier, etc. He even recorded with Hoagy Carmichael and with none other than .... Louis Armstrong!!

Albert

April 30th, 2008, 2:03 am #6

.... kindly sends a scan of the liners of the Broadway Intermission BR-112 LP "Tommy Dorsey - Trumpets and Trombones, vol I."

You will see that track 9 of side 2 is "Am I Blue" by Seger Ellis and His Orchestra from a Vitaphone Movie Short Synchronized disc from 1929. The members of the band are the same as in the photo I posted above.

The Vitaphone Project site

http://www.picking.com/vitaphone-database.html

lists

1358 Vitaphone Seger Ellis Orchestra X 823 1 823 Ellis, Seger

I would love to hear (I guess only the sound survived, the film did not) the vesion of "Am I Blue" by Seger Ellis with his band of highly talented jazz musicians.

I guess I'll console myself with the youtube.com great version of "Should I?" by Seger Ellis with Tommy Dorsey on trumpet, Eddie Lang on guitar, Murray Kellner on violin and Stank King on drums. The personnel according to the page

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DX7RcWLtXh8

I played this record in WBIX # 90, a program devoted to Ellis's records.

I must point out that Rust gives Tommy Dorsey, t; ?Murray Kellner, vn; own p; ?Andy Sannella, g, Stan King, d. The record is not listed in Ray Mitchell's Lang discography. The date of the recording is Feb 28, 1930.

If you want to hear Eddie Lang in "Should I" try the excellent Whiteman recording of Oct 18, 1929.

http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/Whiteman/shouldi.ram

Terrific duet of Tram on C-melody and Chet Hazlett on subtone clarinet. "Stunning" according to Don Rayno. Indeed!!

Albert

Ken
Ken

April 30th, 2008, 9:16 am #7

I was looking at the booklet that comes with the Thesaurus of Classic Jazz, four LPs put out by Columbia in 1959, C4L18. There are lots of interesting photographs. Here is one of the Seger Ellis Orchestra (sans Ellis), a still from Vitaphone # 1504.

In front, left to right

Something striking, all these guys (including the invisible Seger Ellis), except Al Duffy, played with Bix. And all but Duffy and Schutt recorded with Bix.

Has anyone seen this Vitaphone? The redhotjjazz site lists as a "jazz short film" "How Can I Love You? Seger Ellis and his Embassy Club Orchestra 1929." Is this the same as the vitaphone?

Seger Ellis made a lot of excellent recordings in the 1920s with great jazz musicians such as the ones mentioned above, as well as Joe Venuti, Rube Bloom, Phil Napolen, Tony Colucci, Andy Sannella, Manny Klein, Jack Purvis, Arnold Brilhart, Muggsy Spanier, etc. He even recorded with Hoagy Carmichael and with none other than .... Louis Armstrong!!

Albert
Segar (sic) Ellis and his Embassy Club Orchestra sings: How Can I Love Again (and others); The Vitaphone Corporation 31 July 1929 Nr. MP 489.
Copyright renewed under number R192167 on 20 May 1957.

April 30th, 2008, 4:48 pm #8

Albert
The Roger Wolfe Kahn and His Orchestra in 1927.

This photo was discussed before

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/me ... n+Photo+is+----

but I believe we did not have the names of all the musicians.

Albert

April 30th, 2008, 6:19 pm #9

In front, left to right

Albert
Thanks to the generosity of Enrico, here are the three tunes from Vitaphone # 1504. They are from the 16" disc.

These are mp3 files. Copy and paste

"After Loving You."

bixbeiderbecke.com/ellisvita1.mp3

"Am I Blue." [Great trombone solo by Tommy.

bixbeiderbecke.com/ellisvita2.mp3

""I've Got A Felling I'm Falling."

bixbeiderbecke.com/ellisvita3.mp3

Ray Mitchell has a listing for this in his Eddie Lang discography. He gives ?Sep 1929 and comments, "The above Vitaphone film has been stated as having been made in July, however, it would either have to have been either in May or September as Lang was with Whiteman on his way to California and at some time in June was at Whiteman's ranch." Whiteman left New York on May 24, 1929 and returned on Aug 31, 1924. Therefore, the Vitaphone must have been made before May 24, 1929 or after Aug 31, 1929.

Thanks Enrico.

Albert

vince giordano
vince giordano

April 30th, 2008, 7:48 pm #10

In front, left to right

Albert
According to the book "Vitaphone Films" by Roy Liebman: The Ellis short was released in May 1929 [page 39]