Press report May 1936: Jean Goldkette's band - the greatest swing band of all time

Press report May 1936: Jean Goldkette's band - the greatest swing band of all time

June 18th, 2018, 11:30 pm #1

Orchestra World, May 1936, p.18:

TRAVELIN'  'ROUND with FRANK RYERSON

Now that "Swing Is In" and everyone is playing, talking and writing swing music, I think I'll chip in with a few licks of my own on the subject. Of course, as it had been said many times, swing is just old jazz in a new form. This is aptly proven by the fact that the greatest swing band of all time was made and disbanded seven or eight years ago - Jean Goldkette's band. Here was a band that was born 10 years before its time. Who can forget the immortals, Bix and Don Murry, Frank Trumbauer, who was in his peak then, in addition to Fuzzy Farrar, Chauncey Morehouse, and the one and only Steve Brown, who originated the slap bass. Here was a band that had everything but a source of revenue to keep such a collection of stars together. They soon disbanded. And with it, went the downfall of hot music. During the reign of Goldkette, there sprang up many bands of a similar type and in my opinion this led to the demise of hot music. All the hot men immediately tried to cut each other down, and got beyond the scope of the tune and the arrangers, each trying to be screwier than the other. As a result, after eight bars of an arrangement, the public couldn't tell if the band was playing "Horses" or "Bugle Call Rag". Things became so over-arranged that musicians themselves couldn't tell what was going on. This led to the blackout of hot music. Then came along the "Hearts and Flowers" combinations and cleaned up with chorus, strictly on the melody, and the public really went for it. The hot bands played for their own amazement. About a year ago, the trend led back to swing music. It is now at its crest since it is modified, danceable, and understandable. If we arrangers keep it that way and the swing men don't go beyond themselves, I think swing music is back to stay. But if we start getting out of the world once more, then I believe the swing band will end up behind the eight-ball and the tin-canned melody tooters will once again be in the money.

June 29th, 2018, 5:04 am #2

Strange, isn't it? This dude is narrowly focused only on his own taste in music, forgetting that the whole damn world has changed since the late '20s.