Numbers that Bix recorded played by other bands. I. Fidgety Feet.

May 5th, 2018, 9:23 pm #1

A new set of postings: numbers that Bix recorded played by other bands, I will do this in chronological order and will play first Bix's recording and, then,  when possible a particularly interesting version.

Numbers that Bix recorded played by other bands. I. Fidgety Feet.
When the Wolverines with Bix went to the Gennett recording studios in 1924, they recorded several ODJB originals, probably the first examples of “repertory jazz.” “Fidgety Feet” was the first ODJB original recorded by the Wolverines. It was composed by Larry Shields and Nick LaRocca and recorded by the ODJB on June 25, 1918. The Wolverines recorded the number on Feb 18, 1924. This was the Wolverines first recording session and Bix's first recording ever..Here is the Wolverines recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf2VjZa050w

The other recording of “Fidgety Feet” I am featuring here is by the Mayfair Dance Orchestra, one of HMV's house bands at this time. It comes to you courtesy of Norman Field. Recorded in Hayes, Middlesex on October 16, 1919. The arrangement (sounds like ragtime, no?) is by the flutist on this record, W E Gordon-Walker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDHMEQ_3_HY

May 7th, 2018, 2:29 am #2

The annotation suggests that 12" records were more common at that time, to accommodate a longer time for each dance. I've never heard this suggested before. Did the ODJB ever record 12" disks at any other time?

A fine professional orchestra...with no sense of 'jazz' at all. It is an interesting vein of music: jazz-naive players attempting to play 'hot.' But, as observed in the notes, this is more a regression of the ODJB tune into the more familiar territory of ragtime. I suspect the Mayfair Orch. players all had considerable experience with rags.

May 7th, 2018, 7:59 am #3

Great idea for a subject. Eagerly await your picks. I would have gone Fletcher Henderson but I liked that charming dance version. The ODJB version sounds like it was aimed at the dancers as well. Seems like that tune had three different lives, the dance music we just heard, the hard jazz from Fletcher, miles away from Dixieland music by the time the trumpets get to it, and the eventual winner, Dixieland, from just about everyone including the Bix tributes.

Bix' first record?  Very interesting. That uncanny sound is there. Surprised to hear some archaic buzz-saw vibrato of the times there. Proves he started out human."Know my song well before I start singing."

May 7th, 2018, 1:57 pm #4

ODJB version:  

My favorites on this song are the Wolverines' version and Eddie Condon's: