Norman Gentieu & Bix biographies

September 2nd, 2018, 12:49 am #1

Albert, I saw in the Bix Facebook Group that you have requested an interlibrary loan for:

Beiderbecke, Bix, "Clearing The Record" by Norman P. Gentieu, in which the author rants about "errors" regarding Bix in the jazz literature, IAJRC Journal Fall 1991, p.20-29. 

That article is not about the Ralph Berton book. Its subject is "Bix Beiderbecke: Jazz Age Genius" by David R. Collins. I have the contents of that article.

If you want Gentieu's thoughts on the Berton book, I suspect you'll need:
Beiderbecke, Bix, "Appreciating Bix" by Norman P. Gentieu discusses the inadequacies of prior research on the famous cornet player, particularly the book Remembering Bix, IAJRC Journal Fall 1990.

I do not have the contents of the 1990 article.

September 2nd, 2018, 3:04 pm #2

I am also trying an ILL for the 1990 article.

September 2nd, 2018, 10:33 pm #3

Cosca!!   Holy cow, man. I almost wish you hadn't pointed out that existence of the Facebook Bix   WTF??  All the big stars from the old Bixography are there.- Glenda Liz Gerri Malcolm, too numerous to mention. Even Bradski, even Albert. Poor Albert's got more posts there than here. Even some topics are the same. They did that Bix shunning topic there too. I remember wishing old Brad  could have come by with all his wisdom and clear this up. Oh well, great to see they're all alive and well. Although I was embarrassed by some of my posts on it, I think we all loyalists did a much better job on the 'Shunned' than the traitors did.

September 3rd, 2018, 3:12 am #4

Facebook is inevitably a more cursory environment.