May 1931: Bix Biederbeck nominated as cornet player extraordinaire

June 18th, 2018, 10:13 pm #1

Orchestra World, May 1931, p.18:

Who should be bouncing through New York on his way from Chicago to Baltimore but Al Evans, one of the most popular Publix stage band directors and masters of ceremony . . . Should like herewith to make personal nomination for violinist extraordinaire: Jules Lande . . . not to mention pianist extraordinaire: Earl Hines; and cornet player extraordinaire: Bix Biederbeck . . .  While in the mood extraordinaire we do not want to forget John Kuhn and Carol Martin and their beautiful duet on “Sunrise” . . .  The logical thing now would be to mention a trio extraordinaire, so: How’s about Bob Conzleman, Chicago; Vic Burton, Hollywood, and Joe Hudson, Miami, as a trio of drummers extraordinaire.

July 1st, 2018, 5:23 pm #2

Who were these people? Certainly Bix and Earl "Fatha" Hines deserve the term "extraordinaire" (and Hines lasted long enough I got to see him in a concert at UC Berkeley in January 1976 on a double bill with Eubie Blake!), but who were violinist Jules Lande and (I presume) singers John Kuhn and Carol Martin. Also he misspelled the names of Vic Berton and Bob Conselman, and I've never heard of Joe Hudson, the third of his trio of "drummers extraordinaire."

July 4th, 2018, 5:36 am #3

Publix... theaters (facility for both live entertainment & cinema, as soundie motion picture began to leave-behind Vaudeville)... publicity press releases, spring 1931... Bix was working at his movie soundtrack music in NYC....

July 4th, 2018, 5:37 am #4

July 4th, 2018, 1:38 pm #5

July 5th, 2018, 4:29 am #6

I remain suspicious of the sound in "2. Track 2: Unknown song (as of April 2014) from "Morals for Women", 1931  1:57."  And the dialog-side of the dub, it's suggestive to me as well. "... what do you bet he doesn't do it?  Come on - two bits....  I'm going to ... if it takes all summer!"  Behind the dialog sound, a cornet leads small ensemble to conclusion, reaching for higher-note phrasing.  To me, that background music sound is reminiscent of numerous Okeh 'Bix Gang' side rideouts.  Imagine - Bix had contracted to provide music background for this movie, and (spring 1931 NYC) wasn't keeping up with production (alcoholism/health).  Some of what he recorded-for, though, did make it into the film soundtrack.... Considering the evidence presented by Drazin, I'm unable to reject the Bix possibility.

July 5th, 2018, 2:10 pm #7

Drazin's response/video is no longer  available. You tube gives that the account no longer exists. Shame, I would have  liked to have heard that recording.

July 5th, 2018, 5:09 pm #8

You can hear the clips here:-

https://arsc-audio.org/blog/2014/04/29/ ... id-drazin/

The only Bixian trumpet/cornet I can detect starts at 1.35 on the second track and that could have been played by just about any good dance band trumpet player of the time!

July 5th, 2018, 7:54 pm #9

Fascinating. I dread bringing it up but maybe it's time for a revival of good old Cradle of Love. I shouldn't mention names as I'll leave worthies out but I'd love to hear what the big guns like Fred, Nick, think. And David, Cosca, John, etc. I still don't know what to think, but such playing.

July 6th, 2018, 1:24 am #10

The complete film "Morals for Women" is available at  https://archive.org/details/rJgD4RxT6xmNUaUo.

The music in this film has already been discussed on the Forum and I'm on record as saying it has nothing to do with Bix.