July 6th, 2018, 1:35 am #11

Somewhere (in this blog I think), there's a recollection from a male Davenporter, Bix friend, listening to records with him one afternoon when Bix visiting home mid 1920s.  If I remember the recollection right, it was a Victor dance band record playing, mid-latter 1920s electric, but not a bandleader name from the present Bix discography.  This friend recalled the record prompting laughter from Bix.  "I'm on it!" Bix told him.  Lotsa stories of his freelancing, and mostly all speculative, as of now.  But if the story is true, then there is unfound material.

July 6th, 2018, 1:46 am #12

Given some minutes for look-up, I can cite you several Ben Pollack Victors... one was a waltz, that I'm remembering.  But there's nothing in that recorded playing which would reveal the presence of Jack Teagarden, or Benny Goodman, or McPartland and/or some others.  And yet there they are, in that wax.

July 6th, 2018, 1:54 am #13

And all the wildcatting recollections....  If even some of that is true, then there is Bix in wax out there, which you haven't found, because it doesn't sound as you have decided Bix always sounded.

July 6th, 2018, 2:57 am #14

Greetings Nick.  Your post of 12:09 [#8] seems a tautomerism.

July 7th, 2018, 6:46 pm #15

@mgconlan 
I WAS THERE TOO. Hines and Blake both played and talked. I recall a moment where Hines nearly fell off his chair laughing when Blake was talking about how much stride piano Count Basie could play. He was blanking on the name, but said: 'you know...' and made a little right-hand 'raindrop' gesture.

At the time, before the big revival of interest in Blake, this little concert wasn't considered worth any coverage in the press.