Jimmy Schuh's Serenaders, December 1924 - with Al Gande, trombone

Ralph Wondraschek
Ralph Wondraschek

June 12th, 2017, 2:58 pm #1

Billboard, December 27, 1924, p.20

SERENADERS AT CAFE

Jimmy Schuh's Serenaders, a six-piece singing orchestra, with "Boots" Hilbert, dancer; Charles Muscroft, character entertainer, and Charles Aylward, versatile juvenile, as added features, opened an indefinite engagement at the Golden Dragon Cafe, Cincinnati, December 17. The booking is by Jack Middleton. The orchestra has Schuh as pianist, George Maul, drums; Al Gande, trombone; Joe Klaus, sax; Mel Snyder, banjo-director, and Forest Graves, trumpet.

Folks, response to the contemporary press notices I sent is non-existent - is there any interest in these clippings at all ? Without feedback, I think I'll stop posting my findings...

June 12th, 2017, 7:19 pm #2

.... what comments would you expect to be made about the fact that Al Gandee (two es) had an engagement at the Golden Dragon Cafe with Jimmy Schuh's Serenaders?

Albert

Ralph Wondraschek
Ralph Wondraschek

June 12th, 2017, 9:38 pm #3

that the impression given by Philip Evans in his "The Leon Bix Beiderbecke Story", p.144, that Gande (one "e" in the clipping, I usually cite a contemporary source EXACTLY as given), after his leave from the Wolverines on March 31, 1924, left the music business ("Gandee ... remained in Cincinnati and went to work for a dairy"), is not correct.
Or, hopefully, that someone comes up with more information about Jimmy Schuh's Serenaders...

Got me, Albert ?

June 12th, 2017, 10:10 pm #4

.... that the quote you provided from Billboard, December 27, 1924, p.20 adds to what is known about Al Gandee? Just the quote is not very enlightening.

And forumites have no obligation to respond to postings. If they find something that interests them or have remarks or further information that adds to the posting, then it is up to them to respond. I don't expect a response to all my postings. I provide whatever information I think is relevant to our study of Bix and his fellow musicians. Forum readers are free to respond or not.

Albert

Ralph Wondraschek
Ralph Wondraschek

June 13th, 2017, 1:33 am #5

1) I expect a certain knowledge among the people here - no need to point out everything. And, by the way, contemporary sources are, by their very nature, extremely enlightening...
2) By posting information from primary sources not available online, a great service is provided to the jazz community. A little appreciation would be nice.
3) To first demand that a photograph is to be posted, and then provide no help when the person tells that he's having difficulty uploading images to this forum, is not polite.
4) Some appreciation would be in order if someone clears up a fact which was puzzling a thread starter - as was the case with your thread re the Earl Oliver Bell, which I clarified with a posting. Not to answer at all, I consider to be quite rude...

Ralph

James Kidd
James Kidd

June 13th, 2017, 2:33 am #6

I told you twice about TinyPic and how easy it is to upload pics. I do it all on my iPad. Believe me if I can figure out how to do it anyone can! Download the app, type in the answer to the question they ask each time, select the URL you want (the top one of the four choices), select and copy it, then post it to the website. Fast and easy!

Albert Haim
Albert Haim

June 13th, 2017, 3:16 am #7

1) I expect a certain knowledge among the people here - no need to point out everything. And, by the way, contemporary sources are, by their very nature, extremely enlightening...
2) By posting information from primary sources not available online, a great service is provided to the jazz community. A little appreciation would be nice.
3) To first demand that a photograph is to be posted, and then provide no help when the person tells that he's having difficulty uploading images to this forum, is not polite.
4) Some appreciation would be in order if someone clears up a fact which was puzzling a thread starter - as was the case with your thread re the Earl Oliver Bell, which I clarified with a posting. Not to answer at all, I consider to be quite rude...

Ralph
It should be a very easy task for an astrophysicist.

And as far as your comment about rudeness is concerned, that is the pot calling the kettle black. Your comment about the late Richard Sudhalter was obnoxious.

Albert

Ralph Wondraschek
Ralph Wondraschek

June 13th, 2017, 8:24 am #8

I told you twice about TinyPic and how easy it is to upload pics. I do it all on my iPad. Believe me if I can figure out how to do it anyone can! Download the app, type in the answer to the question they ask each time, select the URL you want (the top one of the four choices), select and copy it, then post it to the website. Fast and easy!
so how do I manage to upload pictures ?

Ralph

Ralph Wondraschek
Ralph Wondraschek

June 13th, 2017, 8:34 am #9

It should be a very easy task for an astrophysicist.

And as far as your comment about rudeness is concerned, that is the pot calling the kettle black. Your comment about the late Richard Sudhalter was obnoxious.

Albert
obnoxious - it was to defend the principles of academic research tradition.
I say it again: if someone (like Sudhalter did) neglects to make use of primary sources, and furthermore defends this his failure with the false assertion that "there is little early documentation" (when a simple visit to the New York Public Library would dispel this statement), then it is the duty of every righteous researcher to point this out.
You, Albert, as a chemist, should have internalized these academic research principles...

June 13th, 2017, 1:55 pm #10

If you believed in the principle of sound academic research, the first thing you would have done was to provide an accurate quote of what Sudhalter wrote. Your comment:

if someone (like Sudhalter did) neglects to make use of primary sources, and furthermore defends this his failure with the false assertion that "there is little early documentation" (when a simple visit to the New York Public Library would dispel this statement), then it is the duty of every righteous researcher to point this out.

The quotation marks around the phrase "there is little early documentation" is an indication that the exact phrase was used by Sudhalter. Can you document the exact location in "Lost Chords" of where the quotation appears -page and line number?

I found the following phrases:

"the Original Memphis Five was for many years one of the most under-documented of the early jazz ensembles" page 105, lines 16=17, in the first edition/printing.

"there is still next to no literature." page 105 line 20

If you are going to claim that "furthermore defends this his failure with the false assertion that "there is little early documentation" " you'd better provide accurate excerpts, not false ones you make up. As an astrophysicist you should know that exact quotations must be provided when one makes a claim: that is one of the basic principles of sound academic research.

Let me expand. Not only specific, short phrases must be considered, but also the context of Sudhalter's chapter on the OM5:

Sudhalter further states on the points under analysis: "no oral historians saw fit to interview them". And when Sudhalter says that the OM5 is one of the "most under-documented of the early jazz ensembles" he is referring to articles by jazz historians, made obvious by the fact that he follows this sentence with "Only within the last decade has the work of Horst H. Lange of Germany and the late Bob Hilbert in the United States begun to fill in the wide gaps in knowledge of this seminal band."

Albert