From the Late Rich Johnson's Computer Files

March 25th, 2010, 12:04 pm #1

There was a lot of  material in Rich's files that did not make it to the final version of his book, Bix: The Davenport Album with Jim Arpy and Gerri Bowers. Here is a photo in an unidentified location of Bix as a child with a dog and an unidentified girl.

Take a good look behind the little girl. I think I see a house. Now take a look at this postcard of Tyler School

There is a photo of Tyler school in p. 674 of Rich' book. It is taken from the same angle as the postcard, but at a different time of the year (the trees have leaves in Rich's photo).

Gerri told us that "There were no houses on the east side of Grand Avenue between 1892 and the 1950s." See

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1245271143

If what I believe to be  a house behind the little girl is in fact a house, then this photo could not have been taken in front of Bix's house at 1934 Grand Avenue. Here is an enlargement of the section behind the little girl

What do you guys think? A house? Gerri, are there photos of Tyler School in the Davenport School Museum? Maybe a shot of the school from across the street, where Bix's house is located, can help. Please take a look at what is available in the Davenport School Museum and in the Davenport Library. Another piece of data that can help would be a detailed architectural/engineering drawing of Grand Avenue around 1910 with precise locations of Bix's house and Tyler school. See what you can find, Gerri. Thanks very much for any data you can uncover.

Albert

This photo has been published previously as part of a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnW8C8HeQs

Gerri Bowers
Gerri Bowers

March 25th, 2010, 3:43 pm #2

All the research for 1934 Grand Ave. and Tyler school, came from the Library, School Museum and City Hall. There was no houses across the street from Bix until 1952. The property belonged to the State of Iowa. They moved a house across the street in 1952.
The photo of Bix with the dog and little girl I don't believe is on Grand Ave. See the two bikes laying agaist the tree. Maybe Bix and a friend or his sister Mary Louise were out for a bike ride, saw the dog and little girl and stopped to play with the dog. Mary Louise had a camera and took the photo. The dog doesn't look friendly, since it has a strap around its mouth. At first I thought the little girl could be Bix's cousin, but Carl's last daughter was born in 1906. This little girl looks more than 3 years younger then Bix. Walling Ct., in back of 1934 Grand Ave also has some terraces like 1934. Maybe they were visiting on West 7th, same thing terraces. They could of also been visiting the Von Maur's. George Von Maur's house also had terraces and small cousins. Except across the street from the Von Maur's is a city park, so could what we are seeing some park shelter. I really don't see a house. What does everyone else think?

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

March 25th, 2010, 6:12 pm #3

Unless bikes were made a little differently in those days, I thought boys' bikes had a bar across, which one swung their leg over when they mouted the bike; you folks know what I mean, remembering your bikes you had as kids, and what we ride now. If, indeed, boys and girls' bikes had that differentiation back in the 1910's, certainly Bickie would be riding a "boy's bike."

Interesting, Gerri's comment about the dog being muzzled so as not to bite or snap at the kids, but obviously Bix is petting the dog. How old would you folks say Bix is there? His face has entirely lost its roundness. I'm guessing he's maybe 10, 11?

- Laura

Jamaica
Jamaica

March 25th, 2010, 6:15 pm #4

There was a lot of  material in Rich's files that did not make it to the final version of his book, Bix: The Davenport Album with Jim Arpy and Gerri Bowers. Here is a photo in an unidentified location of Bix as a child with a dog and an unidentified girl.

Take a good look behind the little girl. I think I see a house. Now take a look at this postcard of Tyler School

There is a photo of Tyler school in p. 674 of Rich' book. It is taken from the same angle as the postcard, but at a different time of the year (the trees have leaves in Rich's photo).

Gerri told us that "There were no houses on the east side of Grand Avenue between 1892 and the 1950s." See

If what I believe to be  a house behind the little girl is in fact a house, then this photo could not have been taken in front of Bix's house at 1934 Grand Avenue. Here is an enlargement of the section behind the little girl

What do you guys think? A house? Gerri, are there photos of Tyler School in the Davenport School Museum? Maybe a shot of the school from across the street, where Bix's house is located, can help. Please take a look at what is available in the Davenport School Museum and in the Davenport Library. Another piece of data that can help would be a detailed architectural/engineering drawing of Grand Avenue around 1910 with precise locations of Bix's house and Tyler school. See what you can find, Gerri. Thanks very much for any data you can uncover.

Albert

This photo has been published previously as part of a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnW8C8HeQs
Scott Black uses this photo in his Bix lectures, too. A wonderful shot!

Looks like they could be on the lawn of Tyler Elementary, to me, and in the background is the side of Grand Avenue that Bix's house is on, though the house you see is a neighbor's house.

Bob Kelley
Bob Kelley

March 25th, 2010, 9:07 pm #5

Albert

School.

If you look to the left of her jaw, you see the vertical cathedral windows and even the arch above them vaguely. This section corresponds to the portrait of the school itself if you look to the right of the American flag and down. Behind the girl, I also see a faint image to the left of that of another bank of windows that would correspond.

Or maybe you saw that and it's something else you were looking at?

Bob Kelley
Bob Kelley

March 25th, 2010, 9:16 pm #6

Unless bikes were made a little differently in those days, I thought boys' bikes had a bar across, which one swung their leg over when they mouted the bike; you folks know what I mean, remembering your bikes you had as kids, and what we ride now. If, indeed, boys and girls' bikes had that differentiation back in the 1910's, certainly Bickie would be riding a "boy's bike."

Interesting, Gerri's comment about the dog being muzzled so as not to bite or snap at the kids, but obviously Bix is petting the dog. How old would you folks say Bix is there? His face has entirely lost its roundness. I'm guessing he's maybe 10, 11?

- Laura
to the right could have a top rail on the frame (which a boy's bike would have) that's blocked by the hem of her skirt.

OK, more and more obscure here and less helpful, but ... that may not be a muzzle on the dog. If so, it was improvised and is loose enough to allow a dog to nip (enough to pinch the skin, which is the most likely offense).

People these days often use a sort of loose guide harness on a dog's muzzle to guide it away from distractions. The first few times I saw these, I thought they were muzzles, then realized it's just a training aid. Maybe people sometimes used the same thing back then?

The dog appears to be an American farm shepherd (or maybe a non-show quality collie), which is not a breed that's usually prone to biting, though obivously this one could be an exception.

March 26th, 2010, 12:13 pm #7

Albert

The generous individual who sent me the photo told me that it was in "Rich's extensive files from my computer." Moreover, the individual told me "go ahead and use it if you don't already have it and note that it comes from Rich's files." According to Rich, this is a photo of "Bix with housekeeper's daughter."

Jamaica has suggested that the photo was taken on the school's property, across from Bix's house at 1934 Grand Avenue. I see a couple of trees at the street edge in the postcard of the school (but not in the photo in Rich's book)

But I also see what appears to be a driveway adjacent to the tree in the photo of Bix with the dog.

Gerri, was there such a tree and driveway on the school porperty in the early nineteen teens? Have you been able to find other vintage photos of School # 9 (Tyler) from that time? Then, there is the width of the street. Grand Avenue around Bix's house is a rather wide street (perhaps that is why it is called Avenue?) It is hard to judge the width of the street in the photo, but it does not seem to me to be a wide street.

Albert

Gerri Bowers
Gerri Bowers

March 26th, 2010, 1:37 pm #8

Yesterday afternoon I walked the Old Tyler School property. Stoppping and taking different looks at different angles. First the terrace of the school is a bit higher than Bix's house as you can see from the photo. Once I got up the terrace I was standing almost in the same spot as Bix. You can see a house at the end of the property that looks like the house in the photo, big white pillars. I'm saying the photo is taken on Grand Ave after all at the school property sidewalk. There is a lot less trees now then when Bix was there. I don't know who send this photo to you but it wasn't me. Would like to know who sent it.

March 26th, 2010, 3:51 pm #9

.... I cannot reveal the name of the person who sent the image to me. I was given permission to upload the image under the stipulation that I would keep the source private.

Sorry, Gerri.

Albert