Does Royal Baby Revive Louis Armstrong Controversy?

April 27th, 2018, 7:49 pm #1

I see the new baby is Louis pronounced Louie; French style. That was always Louis Armstrong's pronounciation when I was young, til later you started to hear people insisting on Louisss, and you were denigrating Louis if you let Louie slip out. Albert's jazz snobs? [I thought I was one of them} They somehow forgot New Orleans' rich French tradition.

But now "Louie" after the French is good enough for the king of England so I wonder if once again it'll be ok for the King of Trumpet. I didn't say cornet.

April 27th, 2018, 11:44 pm #2

I've heard in documentary that Armstrong pronounced his 1st name "Louis," and not "Louie," and occasionally he would correct people on it, when addressed "Louie."  The documentary included a snippet of conversation audio, from a moment when just that occurred.

Concluding, hear again his biggest hit (far & away, I think, by measure of discs sold) "Hello Dolly," where his 1st-name sung in the lyric does seem to emphasize that he's "Louis" instead of "Louie."

Your other mention, Carl, recalls of course the Admiral of the Fleet, 1st Earl of Burma, KG, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, DSO, PC & FRS (says Wikipedia).

April 28th, 2018, 8:40 am #3

Yea hi Fred. I think I vaguely remember that documentary and of course there's Dolly, but I'm pretty sure also hearing Louis referring to himself as Louie, that last concert maybe in Sweden where I think he said, "you've sure been good to old Louie." It's just the Louisss extremists like Wynton that are a bit of a bite your head off turn off. Where's mr morton when we need him?
Good excuse for a few classics.

And Mrs A