Do I Know What I'm Doing? · Ethel Waters. A Bixian Jimmy Dorsey.

Do I Know What I'm Doing? · Ethel Waters. A Bixian Jimmy Dorsey.

July 8th, 2018, 7:11 pm #1

From Lord

Ethel Waters (vcl) acc by Bob Effros (tp) Tommy Dorsey (tb) Jimmy Dorsey (cl,as) Frank Signorelli (p) prob. Ben Selvin (vln) Tony Colucci (g) Joe Tarto (b) Stan King (d)
New York, June 7, 1929
148672-1 Do I know what I'm doing ?    Col 1905-D, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKbcqQR0VEk&sns=fb

July 9th, 2018, 11:09 am #2

Why Bixian Jimmy Dorsey? It's a fine musician playing  melodically, because  that was just how he played, as did many others.  To attribute their melodic playing to a sole  influence, that of Bix, as is so often done,  is an insult to the individuality of fine musicians.

July 9th, 2018, 6:54 pm #3

Agreed. It can be interesting to compare a little known or unidentified musician to Bix. But unless the musician is truly copying, it's not always illuminating even then. 

What I really listened to was Ethel Waters lending so much charm and flair... scooping in, sliding out... to a not particularly distinctive song.

July 9th, 2018, 8:54 pm #4

A Bixian Benny Goodman.
Blue - Benny Goodman's Boys 
Jimmy McPartland, c / Glenn Miller, tb, a / Benny Goodman, as, bs / Fud Livingston, as / Vic Breidis, p / Dick Morgan, g / Harry Goodman, bb / Ben Pollack, d. New York, June 4, 1928.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGp3EgWh25k

July 10th, 2018, 12:17 am #5

I'll go along with 'Bixian' as a description of this Dorsey clarinet soloing. He plays a more spacious, non-scalar sort of line, than he might otherwise. The little fills are Bixish too. 

In another forum, I don't think I'd reach for the comparison. I might think it evoked Teschemacher's 'trumpet style' playing, with more 'legit' technique.

July 10th, 2018, 1:16 am #6

How can you possibly imagine you know what Dorsey MIGHT do otherwise?

July 10th, 2018, 1:46 pm #7

The most obvious inspiration of Jimmy Dorsey was another Jimmie, Jimmie Noone. JD's playing is full of phrases that come straight from Noone. Goodman was another naturally melodic player, but his early, self confessed inspiration was Johnny Dodds. G's breaks on Ben Pollack's My kind of Love is  pure Dodd. I realised many years ago that, unhappily, most forum members have little interest in the playing of black jazz musicians of the era, and are not conversant or familiar with their playing. Fully agree with Coscannon about Ethel Waters. Wasn't Bix reputedly a great fan.

July 10th, 2018, 5:50 pm #8

'How can you possibly imagine you know what Dorsey MIGHT do otherwise?'
By listening to what Dorsey DID do on other occasions.

Interestingly, speaking of Jimmie Noone, I was surprised to read, and confirm that Dorsey played an Albert system clarinet. These were already considered sort of archaic by the 1910s, but were standard among New Orleans players: Bechet, Noone, Dodds, Bigard, Rapolo, Fazola, Edmond Hall etc. ALL stayed with the Albert key system.

July 10th, 2018, 9:32 pm #9

Oh, what did Dorsey do that was so distinctly un-Bixian on all other occasions throughout his career?

July 11th, 2018, 8:12 pm #10

I wonder if Jimmy was giving Stan King a bit of a shot.