"a commentary by music historian Dave Lewis on the musician Bix Beiderbecke who was born in 1903 in Davenport."

"a commentary by music historian Dave Lewis on the musician Bix Beiderbecke who was born in 1903 in Davenport."

June 21st, 2018, 1:04 pm #1

"Dave's research details Bix Beiderbecke's connections to the Cincinnati area."

http://wvxu.org/post/blues-bix-beiderbe ... y#stream/0

June 28th, 2018, 10:00 am #2

A very enjoyable, well written, informative and witty talk. What a pity Dave Lewis didn't write a biography of Bix. The first record extract he played - Bix's solo in the Wolverines' Royal Garden Blues -  has always been one of my favourite Bix solos that rarely gets a mention, but it is a  beautifully  constructed solo, remarkable  for a young musician  of 20 years of age. I think that Bix's playing on the Wolverines, full of intensity, drive and full of ideas, plus the  wonderful drive of his lead, which must have been an inspiration to the whole band, especially to the clarinet player, plus  all his superb solos - Tiger Rag is another example -  tend to be overlooked by the present interest in his  playing, focusing  on the Goldkette and Whiteman bands. Even in the Gang sides, some of that intense jazz feel seems to have been slightly lost, or at least diluted.  I've often wondered why Bix, a young jazz musician at the top of his game, playing and making a good living in a successful band, playing jazz exactly as they wanted, should have left to join what was a more commercially orientated dance band, which at the time of his joining had little or no jazz content. Davis said that he and Jimmy Hartwell were bored with the arrangements, presumably not  jazzier enough, but surely that would have been even more true of the Goldkette band.  

June 28th, 2018, 2:54 pm #3

The Goldkette orchestra we know from recordings is only a shadow of the working band that Bix joined. Bix's ensemble lead-playing is worthy of more notice.

June 29th, 2018, 2:40 am #4

Some errors, certainly. But well-written.

June 29th, 2018, 8:45 am #5

John,
Yes, but that is not a freely improvised lead as in the Wolverine days. Bix played his idea for a melody  lead and it was orchestrated by Bill Challis for the trumpet  section. As in My Pretty Girl.