A Bix signature?

A Bix signature?

August 22nd, 2015, 1:43 pm #1

Looking for something else, I came upon this image.

What do you think? Authentic or fake?

Albert

Chris Barry
Chris Barry

August 23rd, 2015, 6:49 am #2

Looks nothing like Bix's inscription on his photo dedication to George Johnson. Have any background info on the envelope?

August 23rd, 2015, 2:07 pm #3

Albert
.... have been discussed ad nauseam in the forum. Here are some postings.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1255455693

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1154992182

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1154992182

Albert
Last edited by ahaim on August 23rd, 2015, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 23rd, 2015, 7:03 pm #4

Albert
And fake again, in my opinion.

Fromhttp://www.icollector.com/Bix-Beiderbecke_i11696302

"Jazz cornetist, jazz pianist, and composer (1903–1931) whose chronic alcoholism contributed to his death at the age of 31. He was also the inspiration for the play, Young Man with a Horn. Very rare vintage fountain pen signature, “Sincerely, Bix Beiderbecke,” on an off-white 3.5 x 2 slip. A couple vertical creases through first name of signature and a couple trivial spots to top edge, otherwise fine condition. Accompanied by an unsigned glossy 8 x 10 photo. Scarce in any form, this is the first time we have offered anything from Beiderbecke."

Albert

August 23rd, 2015, 7:05 pm #5

Looks nothing like Bix's inscription on his photo dedication to George Johnson. Have any background info on the envelope?
No associated info. Just the image.

Albert

August 23rd, 2015, 7:16 pm #6

Sep 18, 1923, Chicago.

From all I read, Bix was in Davenport during September 1923.

Albert

Coscannon
Coscannon

August 23rd, 2015, 8:03 pm #7

Albert
... is from the correct era.

The signature looks to have been added at a date later than September 18, 1923.

Coscannon
Coscannon

August 24th, 2015, 3:21 am #8

With an estimated value of $900 - $1200 (and unaware of our doubt) this item was purchased from Goldberg Auctions for a realized amount of $1,955!

http://images.goldbergauctions.com/php/ ... &lot=43〈=1

Hoping to offer more specifics than snark about ink, I did some quick checking. There were numerous varieties of this 2-cent stamp, known as a Washington A157. First printed in 1922, this version was available through 1934. It has the correct number and distribution of perforations and doesn't appear to be counterfeit. The machine postmark, cancellation lines and codes appear legit.

Bix could have been in Chicago on the postmarked date (or had someone mail for him.) E & E assert Lake Boat season ended Sept. 3rd. Harry Gale wrote that afterwards he and Bix did some club hopping before his own return to school (Northwestern opened on Sept. 23) and Bix's return to Davenport, accomplished by Oct 1, when Bix was admitted to the musician's union. And I concede I've seen more dubious "derbecke"s in my time!

But I'm still skeptical, due to the spiky B's and Bix's name as "Bix Beiderbecke," so bold and stark without a return address. Did Bix do that on any other occasion? Oh, and the severed envelope! Greater context and additional Bixian handwriting, if genuine, would have created additional value.

August 24th, 2015, 2:25 pm #9

Good detective work, Coscannon. But I doubt that Bix was in Chicago on Sep 23. From Sudhalter and Evans' chronology:
"Sep 3, 1923. Labor Day, end of the lake-boat season. Bix remains a few days in Chicago, working one or two jobs, then returns to Davenport." "A few days" is the key phrase.

Albert

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

August 25th, 2015, 8:34 am #10

Albert
Nope. Nope nope nope. This is NOT a Bix autograph. It differs in every respect from his actual writing, from the spiky B's to the swastika-like "x" to the way the letters crowd up at the end. The whole ATTITUDE is wrong - it looks like handwriting from a much later period, people's penmanship changing with the times. The postmark and the stamp are genuine, but they are Red Herrings where this "signature" is concerned. And the signature has no purpose - it's not a return address, nor an S. A. S. E. - just a free-floating name on a strip of conveniently procured period paper. Nope AND nope. Did I say "nope"? Nope.

-Brad K