Eatersto1
Legend

June 22nd, 2018, 7:09 pm #11

In comes a promising centerback who may have the chance to anchor the backline: Piper Wurth from San Marcos High in Carlsbad.

IRVINE, Calif. --- UC Irvine latest addition leads with a national championship pedigree in Piper Wurth.

The center back has been a staple on her club team as well as San Marcos High School bringing home numerous accolades.

"Piper in an uncompromising defender who is comfortable across the back line in any position," hailed her new head coach Scott Juniper. "She connects the game well with a solid range of passing and will do well in our team when we look to build from the back."

The Anteater defense has been a stout foundation in years past and Wurth will add to that after being named all-league each of her four seasons at San Marcos HS, three times on the first team. She added All-CIF honors most recently and a pair of defensive MVP accolades.

Behind all the individual awards were team successes including two league titles and a trip to the state finals of Division II as a junior. She added a USYS National Championship with her club squad, LA Galaxy San Diego, back in 2016 amidst her seven seasons with the club under coaches Carl Higham, Courtney Drummond, and Greg Laporte

Eatersto1
Legend

July 2nd, 2018, 10:44 am #12

UCI adds another defender, Sam Nieto who looks to play multiple positions on the back, valuable to have on the backline and MF. Especially if Juniper is willing to play a more offensive formation with 2 in the back. Sam's father Andy was on Gillespie's 98 coaching staff that won the CWS.

IRVINE, Calif. --- UC Irvine continues to fortify the defense with the addition of Sam Nieto.

Nieto joins UC Irvine from San Gabriel, Calif. where she attended La Salle High School in Pasadena where her team reached the playoffs each season.

"Sam continues to grow as a player every time we see her play," commended head coach Scott Juniper. "She has evolved from a wide defensive player into someone who can play in a number of different roles. She can play wide on both sides in any formation and will impact on both sides of the ball."

Nieto's improved versatility was seen in big matches scoring the game-winner against Bishop Montgomery and assisted on a double overtime winner as part of the program's playoff run. Primarily playing as a defender, Nieto claimed all-league honors three times and was once team MVP. Her exploits showed up with her club squad So Cal Academy breaking the team's league scoring record by four goals. The team added a Surf Cup title in 2015 and reached the National Cup finals.

The skilled defender has sporting blood in her veins from her father, Andy, played baseball professionally and now coaches high school ball. He was a member of the USC coaching staff in 1998 under recently-retired Anteater great, Mike Gillespie.

Her talents extend to the classroom as a member of ASB, CSF, and National Honors Society, a student ambassador and retreat leader, and graduated high school Cum Laude

Eatersto1
Legend

July 2nd, 2018, 1:12 pm #13

Amber Huff out of Grossmont plays a defensive MF role it seems, where she could be expected to play at the backline at times but also venture forward in attack if necessary.

IRVINE, Calif. --- UC Irvine's athleticism gets a huge boost from a three-sport star in Amber Huff.

Huff is another new Anteater hailing from San Diego County coming from Grossmont High School where she was a soccer star, competed on the swim team, and even found a spot on the football roster.

"Amber is a well-rounded athlete who can play anywhere down the spine of the team," said head coach Scott Juniper of his versatile new midfielder. "She connects the game well, she is dangerous in many aspects of the set piece phase, and is the kind of competitor that we love at UC Irvine."

Huff commanded the midfield at Grossmont HS earning freshman and sophomore player of the year honors leading to team MVP honors as a junior as she's accounted for nine goal over the last two seasons. The 5-8 midfielder is also well-traveled on the club circuit playing for San Diego United Club for the last five seasons under Sami Nedjar, and she's played the last couple season under Michelle Myers and John Napier for the Olympic Developmental Pool. She even played a little futsal as part of the National U.S. Youth Futsal team in 2014.

Huff has made just as much noise away from the soccer field like her time with the Girl Scouts earning Silver Awards and receiving Youth of the Year recognition from La Mesa Boys and Girls Club. She swam and Grossmont HS specializing in the butterfly. Huff has gotten the most attention for her time as the Grossmont HS football team's place kicker following in her sister Brittany's footsteps who kicked for the team prior to Amber. Huff made 52 of 54 PATs in the 2017 season including all six in the program's CIF playoff loss. She was also four of six on field goal attempts making her longest from 37 yards out.

Eatersto1
Legend

July 10th, 2018, 3:29 pm #14

Helen Burke is another forward being added to the offense.

IRVINE, Calif. --- The Anteater offense gains another striker with the addition of Helen Burke.

The Moorpark native earned team MVP honors at La Reina High School in Thousand Oaks.

"Helen is a natural wide player who can pay on both sides of the field on both sides of the ball," lauded Anteater head coach Scott Juniper. "She has an excellent foundation in all areas and we are eager to figure out which positions on the field she will be competing for in the fall."

Burke led the league in goals this past season as the school's forward crowning her as all-league and All-CIF. The 5-8 winger was also instrumental in taking her Cal South ODP squad to a title at Nationals.

BeefEater2
Legend

July 10th, 2018, 4:22 pm #15

Huff sounds promising.

There's no way to really tell what these new girls can do based on these media releases. But, it's fun to speculate.

Eatersto1
Legend

July 10th, 2018, 5:03 pm #16

BeefEater2 wrote: Huff sounds promising.

There's no way to really tell what these new girls can do based on these media releases. But, it's fun to speculate.
With the amount and type of players lost last year, August trials should be plentiful competitive for playing time this upcoming season.

BeefEater2
Legend

July 10th, 2018, 8:34 pm #17

Eatersto1 wrote:

With the amount and type of players lost last year, August trials should be plentiful competitive for playing time this upcoming season.
Yep. I hope they can compete for a championship this year. I feel like it's too early to make predictions, unlike last season (when we basically knew what kind of team we had). The one thing I will say is that I believe Syd Carr has a chance to be special.

Eatersto1
Legend

July 11th, 2018, 10:39 am #18

BeefEater2 wrote:
Eatersto1 wrote:

Yep. I hope they can compete for a championship this year. I feel like it's too early to make predictions, unlike last season (when we basically knew what kind of team we had). The one thing I will say is that I believe Syd  Carr has a chance to be special.
Despite losing to Calgary last week and a chance for the postseason, I'm sure Scott Juniper and his staff found something useful from his stint with the LA Galaxy OC Women. It's a successful debut season at that, finishing 2nd in the western conference with just 2 losses. They have one more match this Friday. 

Although it is much different coaching a team laden with local and some nationally collegiate upperclassmen trying out pro life for the first time and a normal mid major collegiate team, I'm sure he will be able to drill some new tactics into UCI this season.

Eatersto1
Legend

July 12th, 2018, 5:10 pm #19

Ryan Verhoeven is out of Burbank is a hard working defender who has found her way to the Olympic Development Program and the Canadian U-17 training camp.

IRVINE, Calif. --- A little international flair is sprinkled into the mix with newest Anteater Ryan Verhoeven.

The defensive standout has grown up in Burbank, Calif. and the L.A. area watching her brother play, and the 5-4 menace has earned countless accolades at Burbank High School.

The talented Verhoeven (ver-HOO-vin) drew All-Area and all-league honors, and has been very well traveled in the Olympic Developmental Program circuit joining the Cal South squad in summer and winter seasons. She has been a member of Real So Cal Academy ever since joining the under-14 squad, and her tireless work paid off with a call to join the Canadian Women's Soccer National Camp with the under-17 team in 2016

BeefEater2
Legend

July 13th, 2018, 8:16 am #20

Eatersto1 wrote:
BeefEater2 wrote:
Eatersto1 wrote:
Yep. I hope they can compete for a championship this year. I feel like it's too early to make predictions, unlike last season (when we basically knew what kind of team we had). The one thing I will say is that I believe Syd  Carr has a chance to be special.
Despite losing to Calgary last week and a chance for the postseason, I'm sure Scott Juniper and his staff found something useful from his stint with the LA Galaxy OC Women. It's a successful debut season at that, finishing 2nd in the western conference with just 2 losses. They have one more match this Friday. 

Although it is much different coaching a team laden with local and some nationally collegiate upperclassmen trying out pro life for the first time and a normal mid major collegiate team, I'm sure he will be able to drill some new tactics into UCI this season.
I would be interested to hear what Juniper has to say about his other job. Maybe, there will be a preseason interview (wink wink McDougald).