What Big West football would look like:

StockonLB

February 9th, 2018, 11:37 am #1

What if the Big West still sponsored football at the FCS level? it's pretty thin on the west, but one can imagine.Bear with me, I'm bored on a break:

Current members, no FCS football: LB 1, CSUN 2, UCI 3, UCR 4, Full 5, UCSB 6, Hawaii 7
Current football schools FCS: Cal Poly 8(1), UC Davis 9(2)

Football only add: U of San Diego (3)

Full member w/football add: Sac State 10 (4), 

Go full northwest commitment:
University of Idaho (throwback to Kibbie Dome!) 11(5)
Eastern Washington (Idaho travel partner) 12 (6)
Portland State 13 (7)

Then invade the southwest:
NAU 14 (8)
NMSU 15 (9)

I'm brilliant. The Big Sky gets back to Big Sky country. The Big West is actually a Big West. And the schools that are nostalgic to get football back (LB, Fullerton mainly) have a vehicle to do so. Further, if you want to leave a spot for people falling back to FCS from FBS, then there is one available, or leave out one of the regions and you'll have two or more!

Wait, we took on Bake and UCSD??? My plan is foiled! 

Back to work.

BeefEater2
Legend

February 9th, 2018, 11:41 am #2

Unless you have a plan for undoing Title IX, this is the closest to football the Big West will get.

GauchoFreg

July 24th, 2018, 9:25 am #3

I imagine BW schools would face decisions that New Mexico just did:

https://www.abqjournal.com/1198470/unm- ... ports.html

Eatersto1
Legend

July 24th, 2018, 10:57 am #4

Wow men's soccer and beach volleyball.

I mean, yeah you can make a case for skiing being cut, but men's soccer. Lobos aren't bad competition either. Cutting beach volleyball is a blow to the growth of the collegiate beach game.

New Mexico just started to dig their own graves in college athletics. Good opportunity for NMSU and even UTEP to capitalize.

gauchodan
Legend

July 24th, 2018, 10:32 pm #5

New Mexico bought off too many football/basketball coaches, and the remodel of the Pit is turning into a money pit.  Like it or not, men's soccer is a non-revenue sport...UNM was not going to cut football and get thrown out of the MWC.
https://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/