Troy Percival is a short timer

February 18th, 2017, 3:40 pm #1

Per the P-E/OCR, Percival has three more years
Troy Percival, who is beginning his third season coaching UC Riverside with a series this weekend in Tempe against Darin Erstad’s Nebraska team, said he is open to moving into the professional ranks in a few years
Percival’s son will be playing at UCR next spring, and he said he’d “probably go two more years after this one,” to coach his son.
Interesting that he would come out this early about his future.

Is it too early to start lobbying for Randy Betten at Cal Poly Pomona again?
"But, there is truly ONLY one college town,...SLO."   Rambling Senile Old Man (aka Peter) 

February 20th, 2017, 10:43 am #2

I have to wonder if comments like these would be off-putting for a recruit considering UCR.  I'm not knowledgeable about college baseball but after looking him up, I would have to assume Betten would be a front-runner when Percival bolts.

February 21st, 2017, 12:20 pm #3

After this year, I am not sure how it can help.  "Hey, come play at UCR, but I won't be here after next year, so have fun."  ?!
"But, there is truly ONLY one college town,...SLO."   Rambling Senile Old Man (aka Peter) 

April 23rd, 2017, 8:25 pm #4

Is a professional team going to want him the way his college team has performed this year? This team is going downhill fast after a solid start.

April 24th, 2017, 5:13 pm #5

Percival wouldn't have trouble getting a job as a pitching coach with a minor league team or being a minor league roving pitching instructor if he wanted to do that.  Doubtful that he would be able to get a MLB pitching coach's job due to the lack of coaching experience at that level but he could be able to hook on with somebody as a bullpen coach. 

April 26th, 2017, 8:54 am #6

FullertonBaseballFan wrote:
Percival wouldn't have trouble getting a job as a pitching coach with a minor league team or being a minor league roving pitching instructor if he wanted to do that.  Doubtful that he would be able to get a MLB pitching coach's job due to the lack of coaching experience at that level but he could be able to hook on with somebody as a bullpen coach. 
Thank you for the insight.  I personally think building up a program at your alma mater would be better than being a minor league coach, but I suppose he has ambitions to coach in MLB and he's got to start somewhere.

April 26th, 2017, 11:00 am #7

Blocked Freethrow wrote:
FullertonBaseballFan wrote:
Thank you for the insight.  I personally think building up a program at your alma mater would be better than being a minor league coach, but I suppose he has ambitions to coach in MLB and he's got to start somewhere.
That's the catch, though.   I am not sure he is willing to slum it in the minors, especially at the lower levels.  Troy has and always will be a Riverside/IE homebody, especially since retirement.  When he made his short timer statement, he was confident (arrogant) that this would be a break out year for UCR and after a couple additional years of success, he would get a MLB job.   This year's performance has nuked that plan.